Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hua Hin vs. Pattaya (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hua-hin-vs-pattaya-572704/)

madhu Nov 24th, 2005 10:36 PM

Hua Hin vs. Pattaya

Hi All,

We are going to Thailand for a week long trip. The plan is to stay in bangkok for three days and the 2 days in Kanjanaburi (Bridge on River Kwai)and 2 days in Hua Hin/ Pattaya. We are planning to drive to these places amd we are 2 couple with one toddler earch. Now my question is if Kanjanaburi is worth the trip or should we consider some other destination. Some folks told us its overhyped b'cause of the movie. The others loved the natural scenery. So we are kind of confused. The second question is - b/w Hua Hin and Pattaya, which is a better option. Better beaches and more family friendly.

Thanks

KimJapan Nov 24th, 2005 11:03 PM

We have been to Thailand when our daughter was 3, 4, and 5 years old, and are going back this winter...she's now 8. When she was younger, we had a very easy schedule...5 days in BKK and 10 days in Koh Samui just relaxiing. One stay in BKK we did a day trip to Ayyuthaya and a day trip to the floating market...we got a car from the hotel.

We found that a bit of sightseeing in the morning, lunch by the pool, maybe a brief shopping excursion in the afternoon, more pool, dinner suited our family...kept our daughter happy.

You could get a car service from Ratt (her contact info is somewhere here...just search on Ratt) or julietaxi.com or your hotel. I think having a driver will be infinitely better than driving yourself around...easier, safer. The River Kwai trip can easily be a day trip...no need to stay 2 nights unless you are deeply interested.

I've never been to Hua Hin or Pattaya...but from everything I've heard, Hua Hin easily wins.

JamesA Nov 25th, 2005 02:43 AM

I know both very well, I live down the coast at Jomtien, Pattaya is a very crowded busy place, Hua Hin although quite busy in the town winds hands down for being a nice relaxing beach place and perfect if you are going to Kanchanaburi as you don't have to go back through Bangkok to get there!

From Kanchanaburi/River Kwai you can just get a car and driver heading wouth East, about 3 hours direct to Hua Hin thus no need to go back thru Bangkok.

Hua hin has a lot of good hotels and resorts right on the beach, many family orientated places, plus you can also find condo/hotel type places, boutique resorts and boutique B&B's, it's a relaxing area with very good restaurants, street stalls and night markets, elephants, national parks etc, it is very 'tame' and tout-free, if you are 2 couples with toddlers and you can find resorts like Marriott, Hyatt Regency and Novotel with kids clubs, also semi-self catering places plus like where we stay, botuique B&B's, I think you would enjoy the area!

JamesA Nov 25th, 2005 02:48 AM

For 2 couples with toddlers a 9 seatwer mini-van giving you plenty of room with a driver from Kanchanaburi to Hua Hin would cost roughly B 2,000 ( USD 50 ).
Another option to do is base yourself in Hua Hin and then take the 'day trip' from Hua hin to Kanchanuri, in addition to the day trip they also do an overnight, so you can leave all your baggage at your place in Hua Hin and then either take a day trip or overnight trip to Kanchanaburi, that might be an idea, you can then, if you want a change of scenary take a day trip to Snorkel at Bang Saphan or even move down the coast perhaps to Dolphin Bay ( on the coast of the National Park ) for a day or so.
We stay as family in Hua Hin often so if you say whether you are into opmarket resorts, family, small places or B&B or self-catering let me know. ( Plus of course tips from others on the board who have been )

Scotters Nov 25th, 2005 06:31 AM

If you have never driven in Thailand before I would not even consider renting a drive yourself car especially with two small children. While the highways to where you want to go are good you will be unfamiliar as to how thais drive and the driver will be so engrosed in driving that he/she will miss observing any of the countryside. If you should have an accident, even a very minor one, you being a tourist will be responsible no matter what and this will envolve time and money. As James says it is so inexpensive to hire a car and drive and just sit back and enjoy without any worries.

rhkkmk Nov 25th, 2005 10:23 AM

i would waste your very limited time going to river kwai area....not much there but the reconstructed bridge...

hua hin might be a good alternative for families as james suggests or jotiem beach near pattaya....the guys would love the "sights" in pattaya, but the town itself is really for singles---get my drift...

hua hin would be better for that reason....

i would spend more time in bkk however...2 days is no ways near enough time....pick a hotel like the marriott resort and spa and it is perfect with kids and you can relax by the pool and you could be at the beach in your mind, but have all the benefits of the city

morgan2005 Nov 29th, 2005 02:33 AM

Pattaya is reputable about nightlife and shopping area. Hua-Hin is pretty much like family relaxing place.