Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hua Hin to Jomtien Beach plus hotel report

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the weather started to get bad around Bang Saphan late last week we headed back to Hua Hin for 1 night ( by which time it was very heavy rain ), stayed one night at Sailom Hotel ( local hotel about $25 a night a/c ) and then followed the sunshine to the other side of the Guklf in the Jomtien Beach area ( 10-15 mins passed Pattaya ).

The drive from Hua Hin to Jomtien beach is expressway, 2 hours north of Hua Hin as you approach Bangkok you join the elevated exprssways, over the river and then heaad away from the center towards Pattaya and then on to Jomtien Beach, about 4 1/2 hrs including a couple of short stops. First night we stayed at the Jomtien Palm Beach resort, high rise but with plenty of facilities, even a bowling alley! Great hotel for the kids, had a mini-suite in the old wing ( though quite ok ) with bedroom plus living area for the kids, total costs about $100, more than we normally would pay but was a peak weekend. We had to move as was so busy but had booked the Pinnacle Golden Beach, this is low rise, about $40 a nigth for 4, right on the beach, kids club is open only weekends, tennis courts, croquest, Badminton, nice pool and restaurant. Went 10 minutes towards Pattaya to go to Underwaterworld ( Pattaya has great attractions for families ) and took our 3rd visit to Mini-Siam ( You guessed, Thailand in Minature ), 2 evenings we spent in and around Jomtien and other nights into Pattaya for dinner and shopping. Spent an afternoon at the Water Park ( Pattaya Park ), $2.50 for a whole day use, large pools and waterways, waterslides. Easy drive back into Bangkok.

Weather along the coast South from bangkok got quite bad but it has all cleared up now. Bang Saphan is very much get away from it all. Hua Hin was very busy as was Cha Am. Driving between these places makes you realise the benefits of places that are just a few hours away from Bangkok. Throwing everying into the wagon door-to-door is a great benefit, and this applies to those of you visiting, gettinga a car+driver and just seeing your baggage loaded in the trunk and not even touching it until it is in your room at your destination sure beats airport terminals/taxis/check in/baggage re-claim/taxis.
I think overall Cha Am/Hua Hin and Jomtien Beach/Pattaya areas have a great deal going for them. They are not Phi Phi or Krabi style tropical wonders but for some sunshine and beach easy and cheap from Bangkok, they both serve their purpose well, and are both 'cheap' as the majority of their business comes from Thais and other foreign residents. For 2 adults and 2 kids just the return flights down south would have costs us well over $400.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:59 AM

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, sounds great. I have a few questions:
1) How was your massage at the Nirvana? (if you got one, or other treatments)
2) Do you think that 7 days would be too long for Hua Hin? We decided on the Hyatt because I was able to get 2 free Regency Club nights using points. My husband will be golfing every day; I might go with him once or twice. We don't have kids.
3) Have you been to the national park or waterfalls near Hua Hin? If so, I'd like to get your opinion on them.
4) We'll have 2 nights in Bangkok at the end of our trip. Feel free to make suggestions about what to see or where to eat there. I haven't booked a hotel yet, but am thinking of the Centre Point Silom or Sukhumvit, or maybe the Pathumwan Princess.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Laura I was going to mention but forgot, I walked across ( 'waded' really ) from the Sailom Hotel to Nirvana but that was last Friday and Hua Hin was well flooded and everyone was busy bailing out water everywhere so obviously using the place was out the question but I chatted to Mia, one of the ladies there and it is still the same type of place, very Thai, totally different from what you would find at the Hyatt, it's an old Thai wooden house with gardens and a small dip-pool, you relax having oil and body massage, reflexology, hand and foot massage to the sounds of old style Thai music and Chants, so it's I guess an almost 'mystical' experience as opposed to the modern 'spa' type thing which every single hotel everywhere seems to be doing. They stick to the origins of natural massage, personally I am not into these modern places which charge a fortune. If you have ever been to places in India or Nepal it is more like that sort of place.

The Pala-u waterfall is 'ok' but it's a long way, though the Sam Roi Yot National Park is fascinating, you get a long-tail boat around the headland and you climb up to a cave where there is a temple inside. The Old Palace is worth seeing too. Try the evening cruise on the Pranburi River. In town stop in at ken Diamond Travel just opposite the Hilton, they list all their daily trips and are very good ( and cheap ), German operated so very efficient.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

I'm probably the worst person to ask about BKK as I live here! The old story about living and working in a place is so different from visiting! Though we put a lot of business clients now in the Maenem Riverside and we get good reports, it's good value for a place with river view, I guess around $70 a night. We sometimes get Executive Suites at about $110 or the Royal Thai Suites at $125, for that it is excellent value!!
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 06:42 PM

jamesA...we are considering a one nite stop in Pattaya at the marriott (of course) and want to explore slightly further down the coast for future stays...is JB the best place to look at?? what is the #1 hotel there??
thanks

bob
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Original Poster

The Marriott Pattaya is opposite the beach, but it's not a swimming beach as it 'is' a city beachfront, many people forget that when they say the beach is not good, the backdrop is a 'city'! The Marriott like others used to be the Royal Garden, lots of gardens, it also backs onto a huge shopping Mall which has excellent cheap shopping, even a 'Ripley's Believe It or Not' with the infamous Matchstick made Titanic.
The 'best' place around has to be the 'Royal Cliff', winner year after year of top awards, Best Conference Hotel etc etc, used by stars and royalty from the world over.
There is a hill between Pattaya and Jomtien Beach and the Royal Cliff is set up on the sides of that hill with amazing views.
As Pattaya is only 10 minutes away you might choose to go for 1 or the other, otherwise they are very close.
For a more natural place Jomtien offers the strangly named 'Rabbit Resort', the Pinnacle group has 2 properties in Jomtien which offer from basic room to private bungalows and suites.
Take a look at the 'Royal Cliff' and you will get to see the local geography of the area.
Best dinning is 'Ruen Thai' and 'PIC Kitchen' both very Thai, Ruen Thai has nightly Thai dance, music, brilliant atmosphere, takes hundreds at a time, not to be missed.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 10:43 AM

thanks jamesA...i have seen the name PIC Kitchen before and have it in my notes...i shall check out the other places too, including royal cliff...

bob