Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hua Hin - Hilton or Anatara ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hua-hin-hilton-or-anatara-453044/)

JKYU Jun 25th, 2004 04:24 AM

Hua Hin - Hilton or Anatara ?

Can anyone who had been to Hua Hin give me some advices on these two hotels?

We are a family with two young kids of 5 and 7. Which one is better esp. in terms of pool size, guest room size? Someone told me the Hilton is great and right at the city centre but we prefer low rise hotel rooms. Is Anatara very far from the city centre? Does it have much facilities?
The official website has not provided much information.

Suggestion on other hotels in Hua Hin is welcome.

Richard1148 Jun 25th, 2004 05:01 AM

We just returned from Hua Hin where we stayed at the Hyatt. In terms of pool size, it has to be the largest in Hua Hin. It has a couple of large areas of pool and also a meandering river-like part that winds around the slide, which the kids would love. We walked through the Hilton and IMHO it did not compare to the Hyatt, which is newer and is on an area of white beach. The Hilton is on a rocky, almost dirt-like beach. I can't comment on the Anatara, as I did not visit it. The Hyatt is away from town, but getting there takes only 5 minutes by hotel car or taxi for a the equivalent of a dollar or two. There is not much to see in town, but there are quite a few restaurant if you wanted to eat away from the Hyatt, which has three restaurants that are relatively inexpensive for hotel restaurants. You can see pictures on Hyatt's website at www.hyatt.com.

JKYU Jun 25th, 2004 05:22 AM

Thanks Richard. Hyatt is definitely newer than Hilton.

Is the beaches at Hua Hin really that bad? Is there any nice islands good for snorkeling that is accessible within 1 hour's boat ride?

We would definitely love to eat out, that's why we don't really want to stay too far away from the city centre. That's also the same reason that although we love Evason H.H., we would prefer to stay somewhere else.

rhkkmk Jun 25th, 2004 05:57 AM

i've just returned from thailand last sunday...i did not hit hua hin this time, but did on my last trip...for kids there is no better hotel than the marriott in my opinion...it is within walking distance of the town and has a lovely integrated pool surrounded by the rooms...there are always plenty of kids there..

the anantara is a bit north of the town and quite isolated for that reason...i just stayed at the anantara golden triangle last week and it is a fine property....the hilton is in the middle of things is a high rise with no character....we were shocked when we saw their pool....its out in the open with no, and i mean no shade--not good with kids....we thought the hilton was sterile....some on this board report the rooms to be very nice however

look at the marriott

Kathie Jun 25th, 2004 07:05 AM

The Anantara is really lovely, especially the Deluxe Lagoon rooms, which are really stunning. However, with kids, you'll probably want to stay in the older part of the resort, closer to the beach. I saw kids staying there when I was at the Anantara. There is a lovely large pool, nice (though small) beach. The restaurants at the Anantara are excellent. With children, the Hyatt may be the best place to stay. Several large pools, one with a huge slide, a wading pool ofr small children, and a "Camp Hyatt" (kids club).

JamesA Jun 25th, 2004 07:26 AM

If you have kids you can't beat the Marriott, the Hyatt is also good with a kids club but you can walk from the Marriott into town and that makes a great difference. The Anantara is the most 'Thai style' of these. The Hilton is a huge skyscraper that backs into the town, the beach is very poor and you have to walk down towards the Sofitel for decent beach. Out of the choice of Anantara or Hilton the Anantara is way way superior, however with kids the Marriott is good but as said the Hyatt has the largest pools. Unless you want to stay in a 15+ skyscraper thing forget the Hilton.

Richard1148 Jun 25th, 2004 12:09 PM

JKYU - I thought the beach by the Hyatt was very nice, although there were no fish to see when I tried snorkeling. There is a snorkeling tour available to Ko Tao, I think it's called. One morning we walked down the beach to the Marriott and went through it to the street. I know rkhkmk prefers the Marriott and I was thinking about staying there because of the close proximity to town, but I'm glad I chose the Hyatt. The Marriott looked nice but did not compare to the Hyatt. I think that the Marriott pool area would fit in one corner of the Hyatt pool area. There was never any problem finding available chairs at the Hyatt pool. The Marriott pool looked quite crowded. We then walked from the Marriott to town, which takes 10-15 minutes. So it depends whether being closer to restaurants is a higher priority for you than having a better pool and staying at IMHO a much more luxurious property.

JKYU Jun 25th, 2004 04:39 PM

Thanks everyone. Your information is great. We are now focusing on Marriott and Hyatt though we really love Anantara's Lagoon rooms if we are not travelling with the kids.

For Hyatt, a guest room costs about 100US while at Marriott, as we will be staying for more than 3 nites, we can secure an free upgrade from DLX Seaview to DLX Beachfront room at only 70US. Which one do you think i should take? (5-mins' drive to city centre is acceptable to us)

JamesA Jun 25th, 2004 07:04 PM

As mentioned the for the best pool the Hyatt beats the Marriott. Ok, I will try and describe a little more. The Hyatt has overall much larger grounds and is very spread out, lot's of space, the Marriott is though I am sure everyone would agree much more 'closely' packed together. I think you get more of a 'class act' at the Hyatt than the Marriott, they both have their merits. Although the Hyatt is an easy trips into town ( there are green pick-ups that ply the route every 20 minutes, they charge B 7 ( 15 cents ) and take you into the middle of Hua hin, terminating/starting from the market area, this is not only cheap but a nice way to go together with local people going to and from the market, we use when we stay at Chom View Suites instead of driving the wagon into town and parking.
The Marriot's plus point mainly is walking distance into town, I think maybe that sums it up, I venture that maybe you will find a more 'personal' service at the Hyatt. Another point is that the Hyatt is more popular with Thai and Asian travelers, the Marriott can be a little 'package deal' in a small way. If you don't mind the trips into town and you want a big pool then the Hyatt. Lovely Spa by the way!! Those deals you have been offered are very good, doubt you can better them but I will suggest this site for the 'Photos' as they have a great number of photos and quite detailed information for all those places and you may find more photos than you have seen already

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/hu...gency/details/

Youv'e got a good deal for Hyatt as that link's rate is $112 (inc tax/service/breakfast) so $100 is a good deal. Then you can also look at the Marriott and Anantara.

The day trip goes to Koh Talu near Bang Saphan and is well worth the trip.

rhkkmk Jun 25th, 2004 08:35 PM

the hyatt is a newer hotel and its area is huge..that is good and bad...the pool is really huge and very lovely...i still like the marriott better...it is close in many ways but that is not negetive...lots of people go to the beach at the marriott rather than to the pool or at least they sit by the pool...as i remember the beach is somewhat narrow at hyatt but quite wide at marriott---really at its best...

you would not be unhappy with either..

make sure to try La Mer restaurant which is on the hill above the hyatt, no matter where you stay..

JKYU Jun 26th, 2004 06:49 PM

Thanks James and everyone. Your information will surely help us a lot in making a decision, it's just not enough to getting info official websites.

Yeah, we've got a good deal on both Hyatt and Marriot, Asian markets price i guess.

Richard1148 Jun 27th, 2004 04:10 AM

rhkkmk must have seen the Hyatt beach at high tide to think it is narrower than at the Marriott. As I mentioned in my previous post, we walked from the Hyatt to the Marriott on the beach, and it never changed in size.

john44 Aug 1st, 2005 12:33 PM

Has anybody stayed at the Marriott lately is it still of a good standard

Kathie Aug 1st, 2005 01:10 PM

There have been complaints on this board that the Marriott rooms are rather dark and not very attractive. If you are someone who like to spend time in the room, it may not be the place for you. The pool area is supposed to be very nice, though the grounds aren't as big and as elaborate as the Hyatt.

arnesen Aug 1st, 2005 02:55 PM

I am aware that many on this board find the marriott great. Well I am not one of those. We were in Hua Hin for 7 nights in 2002 and stayed at the anantara (with kids) and just loved the place. It is not isolated, takes just a couple of minutes into town with the hotel shuttlebus(not expensive). To get a taxi back was easy and very cheap. The grounds and the pool are beautiful, and beach wide and quite nice, however not comparable to other beachresorts in Thailand like Krabi, Phi Phi or koh samui. When we were there, anantara and marriott had the same owner so we could use the facilities at the marriott and restaurant bills etc we could pay at the anantara. For us the marriott was not nice at all. The pool was very small and unattractive. The hotel surrounds the garden and pool area and gave us a claustrophobic feeling. We also experienced very bad service in one of their restaurants when we had lunch there. We liked Hua Hin a lot, nice little town with some good restaurants , a lively night market and lots of tailors. However if we were to go back we would defintively not stay at the marriott.

rhkkmk Aug 1st, 2005 07:00 PM

as stated the marriott rooms are not fantastic...

hyatt beach....the water was hitting the wall in back of the pool the day i was there...it was not a storm....the beach that same day in back of the marriott was at least 100 feet wide..

JamesA Aug 7th, 2005 02:10 AM

New place about to open is Wora Bura, worth taking a look, it's on huahin.20m.com, past the Hyatt.

Kathie Aug 7th, 2005 12:50 PM

Bob - are you aware of tides?? lol

rhkkmk Aug 7th, 2005 04:59 PM

no what are tides....?? of course i am...and i am sure that was the issue, but where would you sit at high tide if the water came right up to the wall?? on the grass i guess...
the pool area at hyatt is fantastic really and all the open space...i did like the compactness of the marriott and the ease of room to pool and restaurants and beach....the hyatt would exhaust me by noon....it is lovely i will admit and very close to La Mer restaurant...