How's this Japan Itinerary

Jun 29th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Leslie

How's this Japan Itinerary

Here's my revised itinerary (thanks to those on this board) for April '03 trip with kids:

Day 1 Arrive Tokyo
Day 2 Hakone (Fujiya Hotel)
Days 3 - 6 Kyoto with one day trip to Nara
Days 7, 8 Takayama
Days 9, 10, 11 Tokyo
Day 12 Fly home

My questions:
Will April 23 - 24 in Takayama be very cold? Would a 2 night trip to Himeji and Kurashiki (possibly Hiroshima and Miyajima) be a better idea?

From Tokyo, would you recommend a day trip to Nikko or Kamakura? Or should be go to Kamakura on day 2 instead of Hakone. The Kamakura Matsuri will be on at that time. (Golden Week Monday is the day we fly home)

Jun 29th, 2002, 12:22 PM
michael

Hi Leslie,

I wouldn't miss Takayama, it's one of the few places where you can get the flavor of old, rural Japan. I don't think it'll be too cold, but then I've been there in early February when there was 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Jun 29th, 2002, 02:20 PM
lcuy

Leslie- This sounds perfect. We did almost the exact trip except we did Nikko instead of Hakone, and spent some time in Nagoya (which I don't really recommend.)
Takayama is a wonderful town, and I would go no matter what the weather. Since it is in the mountains, the inns tend to be a bit better heated/insulated. April can be bitter cold or picnic under the cherry blossoms warm. Take your ski jackets and some silk long johns, and you'll be okay. This is the type of town that made me want to rent a house and stay.
You can do either Nikko or kamakura easily on a day trip. I sort of prefer Kamakura because the town is prettier and the sights are laid out perfectly for a pleasant walk from each to the next. Nillo is a bit overwhelming as it is all in one spot and usually quite crowded, but still terrific.

Jun 30th, 2002, 07:24 AM
xxx

can you recommend a place to stay in takayama? thanks!

Search this Thread