Vietnam vs. Thailand vs. China

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:03 AM
barb

Vietnam vs. Thailand vs. China

If you have been to all three, how do they compare for the tourist? How do the people treat tourists, how is the food, do they speak English, how easy is it to get around, is crime a big problem, how well developed is the tourist industry... Which is your favorite to visit? Thanks for your opinions.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Ursula

Hi barb: I've been to all the three. Difficult to say. Depends a lot on what you're looking for and where exactly you will be going.
Here are my ratings, based on personal experience:
(1 = best, 3 least best)

Treats:
1 Thailand
2 Vietnam
3 China

English:
1 Thailand
2 Vietnam
3 China

Get around:
1 Thailand
2 Vietnam
3 China

Crime:
Felt save anywhere, but stayed alert in the cities and around major tourist sites

Tourist industry:
1 Thailand
2 China
3 Vietnam (will probably boom at lot in the next few years)

Favourite to visit:
1 Vietnam (one visit so far)
2 Thailand (numerous visits)
3 China (two visits so far, four if Hongkong included)

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Ursula

That should be "safe", sorry.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:41 AM
barb

Why was Vietnam your favorite to visit?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Ursula

barb: Just came back at the end of April and one usually says the last trip was the best one. Hm... yes, it's true somehow.
Loved the unspoiled landscapes, the truly yummy food, which, above all, is still very cheap, the diversity of the whole country. It has got all. Busy cities, lovely smaller towns, beautiful still deserted beaches and sceneries.
But, I am sure, within ten years, it will be a lot different, i.e. more spoilt, people after the tourists asking for $ everywhere, etc. Now, you take a picture of a couple of kids, you give them a tiny present and they smile back to you, as if you had given them heaven on earth.
Well, the list is endless.
Vietnam is definitely on my "to go back list".

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:52 AM
J

China has the best sights--it's hard to beat the Great Wall, Forbidden City etc.
Thailand has the best food.
However, I think Vietnam is the best place overall to visit. The food is a close second to Thailand's. The people are the warmest, kindest bunch of people you'll ever meet. The landscape is beautiful, and with the exception of Saigon, the cities/towns are small and incredibly charming. I agree with Ursula that things will be very different in 10 years. I went earlier this year and hope to get back in the next couple of years before the country changes as a result of all the tourism.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:19 AM
Ursula

Looking forward to hearing about other opinions.

And yes, fully agree with J., China's sights are hard to beat. Just adding the Temple of Heaven and the Summer Palace.