Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hows this Itenerary seem to all you seasoned travelers???

Feb 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi all.

We are going to Asia this summer mostly for business with a little pleasure thrown in.
Wondering how this schedule looks to you guys. I would appreciate any feedback regarding the beach town in Vietnam...and anything else for that matter! Also, we have been to Bangkok before...two years ago, but we only spent three days in BKK last time with most of our stay on Samui. This trip our relaxing beach time will be in Vietnam.

So here it goes:

Arrive HCMC/SGN Wednesday June 18th late at night, crash out in hotel.

Leave for factory town early morning Thursday June 19th.

Spend Thursday and Friday (19th & 20th) in factory town about an hour out of HCMC.

Saturday June 21st fly from HCMC/SGN to Phu Quoc for 4/5 days relaxing on the beach.

Thursday June 26th fly from Phu Quoc to SGN and immediatly catch another plane from SGN to BKK.

(does anyone know if we can fly directly from Phy Quoc to BKK?)

Wednesday July 2nd fly from BKK to Tokyo.

Monday July 8th depart Tokyo for home (LAX).

PHEW! This is more moving around than we usually like to do, but business is the main reason for all the bouncing around.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Heather
Feb 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Hi danasgirl,
Phu Quoc is definetely the best you can have regarding beaches in Vietnam. Maybe just a part of China Beach in Danang can compare with this small island. Parts of the huge beaches in or next to Nha Trang and in Phan Thiet (Mui Ne) are coming next.
Phu Quoc has a small airport only and just Vietnam Air is serving it.
So you have to change plane in Saigon.
Feb 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Well, given your constraints, I think your plan is fine.

What is it you want to do/see/experience in Bangkok? Shopping? sightseeing? spas? And what is your hotel budget per night? With this info we can suggest some places to stay and some activities that may interest you.

Sorry, I can't help with Tokyo, but others here can.
Feb 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kathy & Wolfmisc,

Thanks for your responses...we've been to BKK before but didn't get to spend too much time there. I'd like to be able to wander around a bit more this time, just explore...also we will go to the weekend market again for sure! Such fun.
We will be traveling with friends and it is their first time to Asia so our family will be seeing some of the same sights we saw the first time around I'm sure, but I'm fine with that.

I guess I am most interested in any feedback about Phu Quoc. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of 'better' accomodations on the island...well, what I should say is our family would like a family room (2 bedroom suite) with A/C. It'd be nice for my daughter to have her own space as well my husband and I to have our own space. That's really what I am looking for and am having a tough time locating it. Any suggestions? I emailed La Veranda and am waiting to hear back. PQ is the relaxing part of our trip...we just want to eat, relax, lay out, get massages and snorkel...ahhhhh

Also, would it be best to purchase our tickets to PQ once we get to Asia? I tried to purchase tickets online at the Vietnam Airlines website and it would not let me...do you think should we have someone who lives in Vietnam book them for us?

Thank you again for your help.
Feb 5th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Hi danasgirl,
I have been to Phu Quoc just once in my life and this was several years ago. There were just a few small hotels with basic comfort at the time of my visit.
Didnt even know Accor arrived there with a 4star Grand Mercure, being the Veranda hotel you are planning to go to.
Speaking of Phu Quoc as a small island by the way was a joke. Its Vietnams biggest, but compared to Borneo...
Vietnam still is a communist country like China and some others.
So sometimes their watches are ticking a little bit different from ours. Could be the reason, that Vietnam Airlines is not accepting online bookings. I checked their website too. Its stated there > you can book through Vietnam Airlines phone sales or at booking offices...<
And they have an office in Frisco and in Bangkok.
Maybe you can use it for an advance reservation or booking.
Sorry I could not help you more!
Have a nice trip!
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi wolfmisc,

Since writing the most recent post you replied to I have done a bit more research and we have decided that the large resort with all of it 'ammenities' like pool, golf, internet, and cable TV are not at all what we are looking for for our stay on the island of Phu Quoc.

Now we are looking at a cute little place called the Sea Star, which is very small, quiet, and cheap...like $40pn cheap! Why should I stay in a large commercial resort while on such a lovely non commercialized (for now anyway)island? It would be just like staying at any hotel here in the USA...seems silly now that I think about it. So we are in for the mud hut, gecko and mosquito net experience! Should be fun! We can't wait...

Feb 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Hi danasgirl,
thanks for the reply.
Another option for the gecko-feeling (by the way, I have a big one and several smaller ones in my house here in Thailand too) I found|
www.phu-quoc.de Thang Loi Resort.
I am sure the experience will brighten your horizon, no matter which small resort you choose.