Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How to travel from Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently working on planning my 6 week trip around SE Asia. I'm stuck on how to get from Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap. Currently the flight from KL to SR is turning out to be extremely expensive on the day we would need it. Are you aware of any other method of travel between these two cities? I'm having trouble finding anything else.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:36 PM

There are very inexpensive non-stop flights from KL to Siem Reap on Air Asia.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

I actually tried that, however, the one day I want to fly, flights are 4 times more expensive than the other days. Was hoping that I could find another way, otherwise I may need to scratch KL from our trip. It's not too big of a problem as there is alot to see in the other places we're going, however, If I'm going to be that close, I'd like to try.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 07:57 PM

Odd. KL is probably the least expensive city (outside of Cambodia) from which to fly to Siem Reap. Can you change your flight date?

KL is interesting for a couple of days. But if you have to cut it I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM

I agree with Kathie it sees strange that it would be 4 times more. There is a good difference depending what day you are flying and how far in advance you book. But the normal difference is between $27 and $82 except at the beginning of the Cambodia new year (april 10) when it jumps to 155. Still cheap when compared to Malaysia Airlines at just over $200
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:18 PM

Did you check Air Asia?
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:05 AM

Good one, Skittle!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

I did. The day we wanted to fly, it ended up being around $220 a person. We could move it 2 days earlier and it drops to $56 a person, but then we lose our time in Singapore(we can always push those days to the end as we fly out of there). I was thinking about moving KL to the end of our trip, but then I started doing some research about taking a cruise of the Mekong Delta from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City (not originally in our schedule) for 3 days and it seems fascinating to me. I'm thinking I might use our original days in KL for this instead and just fly from Singapore to Siem Reap. I've done some research on these crusies, but haven't found specific info. yet on the forum about which tour group to take. Also not sure if I need to book in advance. I'm going to keep researching, but any insight would be great. I may post in a little if I can't find anything. Thanks so much for all of your help though. These message boards are great!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Oh, forgot to mention that I'm not even sure if I need a tour or if I can just arrange on my own to get from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc and on.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:16 AM

You can do almost anything without a tour in most parts of the world if you want to. I can't remember the details as it's been a while since I looked at it (and hadn't the time to actually do it!) but I'm sure you can get from Chau Doc to PP by public boat, so it follows you can do the same thing in the reverse direction. You will probably find lots of info on:

www.travelfish.org
www.talesofasia.com

Re the original question - had you thought of making getting from KL to SR a journey/adventure rather than a logistical exercise? In other words, an addition to the holiday rather than a chore. The word I had in mind was TRAIN!! Train from KL to BKK (you could stop at a couple of places on the way for a look/see) and then by bus or train onwards to Aranyaprathet, and then bus or tuk-tuk to the border, and then shared taxi to Siem Reap.

Just a thought.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM

psucarrie - Just being curious but what dates did you want to fly. I may have missed your high rate on Air Asia but the most expensive I found was around $150. If you deceide to fly from Singapore then have a look Jetstar Airlines for good fares. http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/index.aspx
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

We were looking at June 20th. Not sure why such the difference, but it is MYR 126 on Tuesday and Monday and then MYR564 on that Saturday. I checked out some of the various options to get there, but then it throws off our time table (which I guess isn't really set yet, but...) We're ending up in Thailand at the end. I've been doing some research on the Mekong Delta though and am getting really excited about it. I found a speed boat to Chau Doc and then a tour to Ho Chi Minh which may be our best bet.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM

carrie, I'm not sure what you are looking at, but you aren't looking at the Air Asia site www.airasia.com

On June 20, the flight is AK 280 and the cost is 45 Malaysian ringgit before taxes, which is US$12.32

You must be looking at Malaysian Air, an excellent full-service air;line rather than Air Asia a budget airline.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Been following this thread with some interest. Kathie is exactly right--it comes to 96 MYR after taxes, which is like $26.

That has to be one of the most insanely cheap airfares I've ever heard of.

Book it now!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Wierd. Yesterday when I checked, there were no flights from Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap. Hmmm, not sure what I did wrong there. Still thinking about doing the Mekong Delta instead, but this brings back a whole other option.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:25 PM

Carrie, were you looking at the Air Asia site?

For me, the comparison between visiting Angkor and the Mekong delta is no comparison at all. But do your research on the options so you know what you are most interested in. You are welcome to look at our Angkor photos at www.marlandc.com
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie. Not sure what I did. I think maybe the computer hadn't loaded all the way becuase I tried several times yesterday and only 3 flights from KL were showing up (all in Asia). We are 100% doing Angkor Wat, part of the reason for the entire trip. question is, Kuala Lumpur or Mekong Delta, or figure out a way to do both (which is actually possible, just cuts us down to around a week in Vietnam).
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM

If it's between KL and the Mekong Delta, I'd skip KL.

Check out www.talesofasia.com about boat transport from PP to Chau Doc. Be exceptionally cautious about speed boats - many are quite dangerous.

By the way, there is no need for a tour to do this.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM

I believe that the reason the AA flight are more expensive on Saturday is because that is a weekend, and local KL people would go to Siem Reap for the weekend. You may find the cost from S’pore to Siem Reap for a weekend to be the same. Also, I don’t see that Air Asia flies non-stop from S’pore to Siem Reap, so you have to go through KL, which is going to add to your flight time (and will be just as expensive on that Saturday). If you take another airline, that is going to add to your cost, but perhaps Bangkok Air makes the trip.

You could look into flying to Phnom Penh, which may offer more or cheaper flights from KL on your dates, and then taking a boat or car up to Siem Reap.

Hard to say whether KL versus a Mekong Trip is better. I don’t think Ho Chi Minh City is actually very interesting (north Vietnam is more interesting to me), and the one day-long trip I have taken of the Mekong Delta was actually a little bit dull IMO, and I normally love boat trips (but not cruises). But others may have done other trips that were interesting. I like KL for some things like food and the people, but would agree that there is not a whole lot to do and see there.

I would agree that with all the time you have that the train options may be quite good for some of your travel, esp in Vietnam and probably going from Singapore up to Thailand, stopping off as you like along the way in Malaysia. However the train option may cause you to miss the east coast of Malaysia, which is spectacular in summer months. See http://www.seat61.com/Vietnam.htm and http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm for info on trains in Vietnam and Thailand (This site is very helpful for Indian trains, I have not used it much for Thailand and never for Vietnam, but would think it would be just as reliable). As I don’t know your whole itin, I don’t know how to comment on the KL portion. But I certainly would give up KL for the east coast of Malaysia in June, especially if you are a diver. You can take a bus from S’pore to places on the east coast of Malaysia for diving (which would be cheaper than flying to Borneo which I beleive may be on your itin, unless you mean to go to Sipadan, which is quite a haul from anywhere and not cheap, but certainly worth it for divers. Be sure to book your dive time permits for the park ASAP.) Otherwise if Sipidan is not your plan, IMO the east coast of Malaysia offers lots of good diving in June/July. You could also take a bus or a train further north and then go to Tama Negara national park and include diving in the Redang area, which is excellent. Renting a car is certainly also an option, as Malaysia is about the only place in Asia I would suggest renting and driving yourself (other than S’pore and Hong KOng where you don’t need a car). You can also fly in AA from Surat Thani or Hat Yai in southern Thailand and save some of the train trip.

So all in all, while I might skip KL, I would not skip Malaysia, and you have lots of inexpensive travel options to get to and around Malaysia and then on to Bangkok from which you can get to Siem Reap.