Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   How to survive excruciating flight in Economy (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/how-to-survive-excruciating-flight-in-economy-370428/)

curlywurly Oct 21st, 2003 02:53 PM

How to survive excruciating flight in Economy

God help me, I'm flying nonstop from NYC to Singapore in Economy (Singapore Air). I'm concerned about circulation problems, boredom, falling into homicidal fit of air rage, etc.

Should I order up the lithium, or does anyone have other suggestions?

:)

Hanuman Oct 21st, 2003 04:00 PM

There's a great web site for airline reviews call Skytrax and on it there is a page call "Seating Tips" for most airlines. Perhaps this will help ease your long flight!

http://www.airlinequality.com/

rhkkmk Oct 21st, 2003 07:16 PM

don't eat much...drink lots of water...walk around at least every 2 hours...take a bayer aspirin...take a sleeping pill after you clear the west coast and sleep a couple of hours...think of how wonderful sing. will be and how lucky you are....

orgy7 Oct 21st, 2003 10:00 PM

bring walkmaan or MP3 player..

squirm around your tight litle chair.. you know, shift each cheek every half hour or so..

I think the air marshial will cure any potentin homicidal fits of rage..

I don't know about the lithium but I do know that smaoke pot will make that flight seem REEEAAALLY long.. but of course every thing the flight attendents do will seem funny so. it's a toss up..

JamesA Oct 22nd, 2003 04:52 AM

I don't think you are flying 'non-stop', that flights stops in Europe on the way, Frankfurt I think. The in-flight personal TV with games and everything is more than enough to keep you busy.

Skaye Oct 22nd, 2003 09:43 AM

Welcome back JamesA.. we flew Singapore to HongKong and returned from Singapore.. anything is only as bad as you make it.. books, music if you like your own (they had v. good selection on theirs).. Watch a movie.. play games.. get up and walk around.. sleep!! I can't do the aspirin but - honestly, I think getting your thinking straight by not considering it prison incarceration is a start! Zen out and do something you want to do but never had enough time!! When you can't get out of your seat try lifting your heels up - keeping your toes on the floor and do that - also stretch your arms up - really stretch.. what do you care if you look "funny" - it keeps the circulation going! After a lot of words - THINK POSITIVE - not negative!

Aine Oct 22nd, 2003 11:36 AM

Hi there, I got an item off http://www.magellans.com called the First Class Sleeper. I recently took a long flight and it was so helpful. Its about $50 but well worth it. I managed to make it work 2 ways, one the way it was intended for your back, and then I inflated it fully, put the little flap for your head under my bum and upside down it makes a fab leg rest. Have a look into it. I also took a valium and a sleeping pill. Try check in extra early and ask for a bulkhead/exit row. Oh and also, bring a cheap comfy large pillow that you can dump once you get there if you want.

Good luck. Anne

Elainee Oct 22nd, 2003 12:10 PM

Maybe you will be lucky and they will have 3 movies you have wanted to see and missed. I also bring a "beach book" that will keep me amused. Crosswood puzzles are good for those who like them. In short, amuse yourself.

curlywurly Oct 22nd, 2003 01:37 PM

Hanuman - the seating tips are brilliant! will do my best to arrive early and get a good seat.

Will also bring positive attitude, great reading material & music. Will consider flirting with air marshall for additional amusement.

James and Skaye - are you familiar with Singapore Air economy class? is it passably comfortable? They have an excellent reputation, but this is the first time I'm taking such a long flight in economy.

Andrea_expat Oct 22nd, 2003 07:43 PM

You should check with the airline to see if all the seats in economy have personal TVs - they do on flights within Asia, which is why we love to fly Singapore Air! It makes such a difference. Check to see if they have them - this offers you a much wider entertainment selection (5 or 6 movies, lots of TV shows, etc.).

Skaye Oct 23rd, 2003 10:28 AM

Curlywurly: We flew Singapore from Las Vegas (they have since dropped this flight).. seats were v.comfortable - for economy - they had lumbar support and support that you could pump up under your thighs.. they also had a foot rest that came down..Excellent video and interactive.. Return flight not as good (747) as opposed to the 777 - seats did not adjust - As I said in my earlier post.. so much of long trips is your state of mind.. We do crosswords, read (I read novels - nothing heavy) movies (and yes, they did show three different first run movies) were OK. I also find that if you can arrange your long flight so you are actually leaving late at night rather than early you tend to keep more of your natural sleep rhythms.. We are looking at Singapore for our trip to Bangkok in Feb.

Mary Oct 23rd, 2003 01:59 PM

See if you can get your seat reserved in advance. Not possible if booked on Travelocity but if booked through the airline itself - even on their website - I've done this often on United and Lufthansa. Good luck and have a great time!