Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   how to split my time? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/how-to-split-my-time-518777/)

infinityqx4 Apr 5th, 2005 01:35 PM

how to split my time?

Hi,

I am planning to go to Thailand for the first this June and am trying to figure out the logistics for time. I will be coming in either June 10 or 11 from China and need to be back in Hong Kong by June 20 for my return flight on June 21.

A friend will be meeting me in Bangkok and these are three places we want to hit

Bangkok
Siem Reap
Phuket or Ko Samui

Could you tell me how long to stay where and what the best route to these places would be? Also, in deciding between Phuket and Ko Samui - what are the pros and cons.

thanks

rhkkmk Apr 5th, 2005 07:00 PM

so you really have only about 9 days as i read it...

i would do bkk at both the beginning and the end of your trip....
do you absolutely have to go to SR this trip? if not i would hold back for another trip for it...if you do, then i would only consider doing bkk and SR....you have to allow 4 days for SR or 3 at the fewest....it is a one hour flt from bkk, which is proportionally expensive at about $250+ r.t. hotels are fairly expensive there too...

so my preference would be to do bkk for 3 days, head to an island for 3-4 days and then back to bkk for 2-3 days...airfare is about $100-125 r.t.

if we knew about you we might know which island is better for you?? interests, activities, etc. age too...

phuket is the go/go island at the top of the price scale and samui is more laid back and less expensive generally and much less developed....
i think generally the beaches are better at phuket than at samui, but samui has nice beaches as well...

luangwablondes Apr 6th, 2005 02:51 AM

Fly into SR 1st and do your angor wat thing. Then on to Phuket or Ko Samui. Lots of regular flights back to BKK. The flights will allow less time in airports and more time doing your thing.

glorialf Apr 6th, 2005 05:08 AM

I would do Bangkok and either Siem Reap or a beach but not both.

I second Bob's suggestion that you start and end in Bangkok so I would do Bangkok for 3 days at the beginning, then spend 3 or 4 days either at Siem Reap or a beach and then return to Bangkok. There is a HUGE amount to do and see in Bangkok and you will be cheating yourself if you don't give yourself enough time.

Kathie Apr 6th, 2005 06:54 AM

I agree. You don't have enough time for three places. Choose two - you'll be happier. And remember, if you are at all like the rest of us, you'll be back!

infinityqx4 Apr 6th, 2005 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for the responses. I am going to pass the information to my friend and make a decision but I am leaning towards Bangkok and Siem Reap for this trip.

lbrown7 Apr 6th, 2005 04:35 PM

You should look at Bangkok Air Discovery Pass. They now fly from Koh Samui to Hong Kong certain days of the week. I was able to get round trip BKK>REP, then Bkk>Samui>Hong Kong all for $323.00. The Samui>Hong Kong saves having to go back through BKK.

glorialf Apr 7th, 2005 05:37 AM

Infinitygx4 -- Bangkok and Siem Reap would be great! There are gorgeous beaches a lot closer to home -- but there is nothing like Angkor.