Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How to spend a day at or near Suvarnabhumi airport (BKK)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On 5th Jan (a Tuesday) we will arrive at Suvarnabhumi before 10.00 and don't fly out till after 20.00. Has anyone any suggestions for how we might fill that time? Are there organised sightseeing trips? Is there anything interesting to visit not too far from the airport? We're happy to walk and/or sort out our own transport etc but where might we go??? And is there left luggage? We won't technically be in transit so might be stuck with our bags.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM

I'd leave the airport and go into Bangkok with that much time. There is a left luggage service at the airport.

Have you been to Bangkok before? If not, you might want to include a major sight-seeing stop like one of the most famous Wats (Wat Po, Temple of the Emerald Buddha) via water taxi (a quintessential Bangkok experience) or perhaps a stop at the Jim Thompson House.

Whether or not you've been to Bangkok before, I'd recommend a lovely Thai lunch and perhaps a spa stop.

A taxi from the airport into the city will be about 350 baht plus tolls. Once you are in the city, you can use the Skytrain to get around. Allow maybe 45 min to get back to the airport via taxi.

Why are you not technically in transit? Unless you are flying a budget airline in or out you should be able to get your baggage checked though onto your next flight.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Hi devonsongbird,
You'll probably be a bit tired so don't try to do too much. And it'll probably take you at least an hour after arrival to go through Thai immigration, collect your luggage, exchange some money, check-in your luggage at 'left-luggage' unless you're able to check them in ultra early with your connecting flight (worth looking into since left luggage isn't that inexpensive).

Then as Kathie above posted, the cost of a taxi into central Bangkok will most likely run around 300-400bahts (make sure the driver uses the meter and if not, then get out and use another taxi) subject to where you're going in BKK and does not include the added cost of paying the express toll fees (most likely 2 toll booths, so have some small 20, and 50baht notes handy and make sure the taxi driver returns any left over change).

I think at most you'll be able to visit The Grand Palace OR perhaps Wat Pho and Wat Arun (across the Chao Phraya River so you'll have to hop a river ferry). It's been quite a number of years since I've revisited Wat Pho but hope you can also still get a massage there and it's not expensive.
A good alternative if you're seeking a more sedate destination is the Vimanmek Mansion since this area is not nearly as busy as the Grand Palace or Wat Pho.
Do remember that if you're approached by anyone claiming the temples/wats/sights are closed that they are attempting to scam you and redirect you to a 'shopping tour' and avoid any claims of good quality jewelry for cheap.
Don't forget to have a Thai meal before returning to Suvarnabhumi and allow at least an hour to get back to the airport. Also, you'll probably want to beat the rush hour back out from BKK.
Have a great layover.
PS--there may even be layover tours or transit 'city tours' but I think you can 'do' your own tour for less.
And again, use the metered taxis.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM

PSS:
http://www.airportsuvarnabhumi.com/s...gkok-thailand/
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 06:22 PM

If you aren't tired when you get there, I'd say go for it.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM

I agree with mango. Go for it. I always seem to manage a sudden burst of energy when I land in Bangkok at nearly midnight!

The most tiresome thing to do, IMO, would be to hang around the airport for all those hours. Get out and do something. A tour package might be an option, but so would hopping in a taxi and going into the city for some sights and lunch.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Totally, Carol. When we arrive in Bkk this time(@ ~midnight), we are going straight out to eat street food and then have a drink to savor being in one of the greatest places on earth, once again.
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Aren't we arriving the same night???? I'm going to have MY drink at the Pickled Liver (soi 11), also known as Maeng's place.... are you in?
Old Oct 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Carol- We are arriving on a different night Perhaps we can catch you at the Pickled Liver on another night if you're ok with it. .Sounds like fun...Let's touch base again before you leave.