How to Go From Penang to KL

Dec 4th, 2019, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

How to Go From Penang to KL

We will be spending a few days in Malaysia as a stopover. We have 3 days in Georgetown and 2 days in KL. Is it worth driving from Georgetown to KL or just fly and enjoy the time in KL?
Dec 4th, 2019, 01:05 PM

Why not take the train? It's only four hours or so, plus the ferry. See: https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

Or the bus, long distance buses in Malaysia are fine.
Dec 4th, 2019, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
Why not take the train? It's only four hours or so, plus the ferry. See: https://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

Or the bus, long distance buses in Malaysia are fine.
Thanks! Buses of ~5 hours dont do well with my aching back. I love trains, but flying is faster. Trains are ~4 hours. Have you taken the train? Is it scenic? I guess I'm weighing the time on the train and whether it's worthwhile in terms of seeing some of the country v flying and having a couple of extra hours in KL.
Dec 4th, 2019, 02:48 PM

Take a look at Rome2Rio - the plane is not that much faster. You have to get to/from the airports at each end, plus allow time at the airport. The one hour flight takes a lot more travel time than that.

Can't help too much with the scenery, but as best I remember around KL it was boring - palm tree plantations. But I went KL - flight to Singapore - bus to Melaka - bus to Cameron Highlands - bus to Kuala Kangsar - bus to Kota Bharu. For Georgetown (different trip) I flew in, and then went north overland..
Dec 4th, 2019, 03:04 PM

Fly. I’ve been going to Georgetown, Penang for 6 years straight now and have both flown from Penang to KL and have also been driven by my private driver from Penang to KL. I prefer to fly. By car, it’s a 3-3.5 hour drive. My Malaysian friends drive to and from KL and Penang to visit me on years that I don’t feel like making a stop in KL on my way to Singapore. They stay for 2 nights and then take the long drive back home to KL. They’ll be making it again next month.

Happy Travels!
Dec 4th, 2019, 03:44 PM

I love train travel anywhere trains are safe & passably clean. So having traveled by train before in Malaysia, it's how I think about getting to Penang from KL when I think about that trip. If you prefer planes to trains then fly. If you like train travel, do that. The difference in time it will take, it seems to me, all in (door to door) is inconsequential. Do what you prefer.
Dec 4th, 2019, 07:51 PM

I have done that route a couple of times by train. I don’t recall it being as scenic as other train rides in Malaysia but quite pleasant. You could stop a night in Ipoh which is a pleasant little town which is fames for its, grafitti trail, the nearby cave temples and the best Hainanese Chicken Rice in Asia - we met lots of Singaporeans who spent the weekend there just for the Chicken! Doesn’t seem like you have te time though.

Once you factor in time in and travel to, airports, the difference between train and plane will be minimal. In fact I think it would likely be the fastest option. The train leaves from KL Sentral which is right in the centre of KL (in fact, given it is the main transport hub, it is not a bad place to stay in KL anyway)
Dec 4th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your perspectives. Unfortunately we don’t have time to dtop off anyehere since we will only be in Malaysia for 6 nights. But that Hainese Chicken sounds worth a stop.��
Dec 4th, 2019, 09:58 PM

Have no fear, there's chicken rice in Georgetown (Penang) too. When I was there some years ago one place in particular was THE place. I was the only westerner & it was packed. Some nice people at a round table made room for me & the staff took care of me. Memorable. Ask at your hotel for a recommendation.

From KL airport I took the train into Sentral Station & stayed right across from the main entrance at the Hilton, brand new at the time, very nice & couldn't be more convenient. I left from there by train south to Singapore. If you decide to train to Penang that would be an excellent place to stay. I see on google maps Le Meridian is next door.
Dec 4th, 2019, 10:33 PM

Apparently part of the reason the chicken rice in Ipoh is sought after because of the beansprouts used. Fed by the waters from the limestone karsts of the area they are the plumpest, juiciest beansprouts ever!

Unsolicited I know, but another place worth looking at, actually in KL Sentral is Aloft - a little different from mainstream hotels, even if owned by one of the worlds largest hotel chains. For a 5 * option, the Mandarin Oriental, has great views of the Petronas towers.
Dec 4th, 2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by crellston View Post
Apparently part of the reason the chicken rice in Ipoh is sought after because of the beansprouts used. Fed by the waters from the limestone karsts of the area they are the plumpest, juiciest beansprouts ever
I confess I'm not a fan of bean sprouts but as there were none (fortunately) in my Penang chicken rice it all worked out.
Dec 4th, 2019, 11:45 PM

I've taken the night train from Singapore to KL, and the bus from KL to Georgetown. Both were very pleasant. I avoid long bus rides (anywhere) but was with a group of friends, and they wanted to take the bus for the scenery. The buses are clean and very comfortable (and have attendants, meals and movies!), the roads are incredibly good, and even the rest stops were immaculate!
Dec 5th, 2019, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

[QUOTE=crellston;17025482]A
Unsolicited I know, but another place worth looking at, actually in KL Sentral is Aloft - a little different from mainstream hotels, even if owned by one of the worlds largest hotel chains. For a 5 * option, the Mandarin Oriental, has great views of the Petronas towers.[/QUOTE]

Is this the same Aloft as the Marriott ones? Is it worth the view of the Petronas towers? We will only be there the day we arrive and 1 more day. Then we fly home.
Any other suggestions from anyone on where to stay?

"Have no fear, there's chicken rice in Georgetown (Penang) too. When I was there some years ago one place in particular was THE place. I was the only westerner & it was packed. Some nice people at a round table made room for me & the staff took care of me. Memorable. Ask at your hotel for a recommendation."
Good to know! Thanks!

"I avoid long bus rides (anywhere) but was with a group of friends, and they wanted to take the bus for the scenery. The buses are clean and very comfortable (and have attendants, meals and movies!), the roads are incredibly good, and even the rest stops were immaculate!"
I'm sure the buses are quite nice, but I've learned the hard way, no bus rides over a couple hours for me.

The train sounded appealing. However, looking at the schedule going from Penang to Kula Lumpar the times are not great. One is at 7:30 am and we don't like getting up so early and the other in the afternoon in which case we would lose that time n KL and we have limited time there.
Dec 5th, 2019, 07:31 AM

You could take the evening train (18:33) the day before, which would give you the whole of the next day in KL. If you take the 10:25 flight you still won't get started in KL until the afternoon - it's a 30 minute train ride in from the airport.
Dec 5th, 2019, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
You could take the evening train (18:33) the day before, which would give you the whole of the next day in KL. If you take the 10:25 flight you still won't get started in KL until the afternoon - it's a 30 minute train ride in from the airport.
That's a good idea! - thanks.
Dec 5th, 2019, 10:14 PM

Yes the Aloft is the same as the Marriott. NB the view of Petronas are from the MO NOT the Aloft. The views of Petronas are spectacular, especially at night. An alternative though is to go for drinks at the Skybar in theTraders hotel. We went there with fodorite internetwiz and her husband last time we were in KL. Some photos of the view https://accidentalnomads.com/2014/11/13/kuala-lumpur/

as I recall, we met them at their hotel , the JW Marriott on Bukit Bintang which is a also a great location. And there is a pedestrian walk way all the way through to petronas & traders & KLCC.

As you only have a couple of days in KL, where to stay is key what you want to do and see. KL Sentral is good for the monorail which is close to Little India and Chinatown and for the train to and from the airport and you can get to Bukit Bintang and KLCCC quite easily.

Bukit Bintang is good for shopping malls and the bigger 5* hotels ( which are v reasonable in KL) and the famous Jalan Alor, good for open air seafood and Chinese restaurants. As I mentioned JWM looked great though we didn’t stay there. Shangri La we did stay at years ago and loved it.

KLCC is the modern part of the city with huge tower inc, the twin towers , the MO and Traders Hotels are there too.
Dec 6th, 2019, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

crellston -- thanks for the info. I know internetwiz, so I will also check in with her. We were thinking of staying at MO because it is such a bargain. Usually, I don't love the modern part of cities. If we stayed at MO is it inconvenient? We're not into shopping but you make Bukit Bintang sound appealing in terms of its location for getting around.
Dec 6th, 2019, 12:31 PM

Having stayed in maybe half a dozen different areas of KL, i would say Bukit Bintang is probably the best for a short stay. Loads of restaurants in the area including within the big shopping malls. It is probably 10 years since we stayed in the MO but it was a really nice hotel and a bargain by international standards. Not sure what the rates are like now but i have fond memories of staying in the club floor there. Terrific sushi restaurant in the basement! Arguably not as convenient for the rest of the city but I think the HOHO bus stops close by which would be an easy way from KLCCC to BB .
Dec 6th, 2019, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston View Post
Having stayed in maybe half a dozen different areas of KL, i would say Bukit Bintang is probably the best for a short stay. Loads of restaurants in the area including within the big shopping malls. It is probably 10 years since we stayed in the MO but it was a really nice hotel and a bargain by international standards. Not sure what the rates are like now but i have fond memories of staying in the club floor there. Terrific sushi restaurant in the basement! Arguably not as convenient for the rest of the city but I think the HOHO bus stops close by which would be an easy way from KLCCC to BB .
Thanks, as always great info. I did another post about where to stay. This is at the end of a long trip so Im guessing well be happy to see a little and lounge around and eat good food.