Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   how often do you go to Asia and why do you go there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/how-often-do-you-go-to-asia-and-why-do-you-go-there-239018/)

nikki Jul 12th, 2002 03:20 PM

how often do you go to Asia and why do you go there?

Just curious why people will endure such a long flight. Is it worth it? How's the jetlag when you come back?

Ursula Jul 12th, 2002 04:08 PM

Hi nikki! I am partial to southeast Asia. Thailand, Bali and Vietnam are my favorite destinations. There is no comparison to the lifestyle and work ethics like us Americans. These people are very laid back and some of the most friendly I have ever met. Not only that, if you like great hotels, here you can find some of the best deals. And if you like to shop, this is the capital of the world. It is a long flight, but after you arrive you don't ever want to leave, and your American dollars go a long way.

Andrea Jul 12th, 2002 04:24 PM

Personally, I have a real love of travel and a strong desire to see as much of the world as I can. Even if I had to spend 3 days in transit to get to someplace I wanted to go, I'd still go if I could. Jet lag would not even cross my mind as a consideration. To me, it's a bit like asking "Why would anyone want to go to the moon? It's a long way and that weightlessness can make you sick." For me, it's for the experience of seeing a completely different part of the world and understanding a bit about how the people there live.<BR><BR>That being said, I'm in Aisa because I want to be here, and I'm interested in being in Asia (I'm an American living in Shanghai).<BR><BR>I do understand not being interested in visiting a place. I have no desire to visit Hawaii, for example. I know it's beautiful, but it holds absolutely no allure for me. I do know quite a bit about it, and while it is beautiful, and I'm sure I'd enjoy myself if I went, it's still last on my list of places in the world I want to see.<BR><BR>So, if Asia doesn't have a big attraction for you, it may not be worth it to you.<BR><BR>Several posters on this board gave their answers to a recent similar question, and can explain it better than I (the person was trying to decide between the Caribbean & Asia):<BR><BR>Les: "Depends on whether you want to take a trip (Asia) or a vacation (Carribean). I've never been to the Carribean, but I have taken island vacations, and in my opinion, they can't compare to the wealth of new experiences (both cultural and geographical) that you'll experience in Asia."<BR><BR>Andie3: " . . . but going to Asia changed my whole way of looking at the world and at life. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything!"

Kathie Jul 12th, 2002 04:49 PM

I usually go to Asia once a year. I use melatonin, so I don't have a lot of difficulty with jetlag. Indeed, I get home from Asia about 8 am, and I normally can return to work the next day without much difficulty. Note that everyone is different in how much jetlag affects them, and not everyone responds to melatonin.<BR><BR>I find Asia has a fascinating array of cultures within a relatively small area. So I can fly into say, Bangkok, and spend a week in each of three different cultures on a three week trip, with little flight time to interrupt. Or I can spend all three weeks in one country, sampling city and crural life. I also believe that Asia is one of the "last" great travel bargains. You can live in luxury in SE Asia for the same price as a mediocre hotel in the US. And the attitude toward servce in SE Asia is that providing hospitality is a high calling. So the service you experience is warm and gracious as opposed to perfunctory.<BR><BR>I remember my first trip to Singapore many years ago, the bathroom of the room I stayed in was the size of the WHOLE room in London, and and less than the price of the London hotel room (the room was also MUCH cleaner!).

ken Jul 12th, 2002 05:17 PM

"There is no comparison to the lifestyle and work ethics like us Americans. These people are very laid back..."<BR><BR>??????<BR><BR>I guess you haven't been out to the countryside, where people still work at back-breaking jobs, and whose confucian work ethics would put many Americans to shame. Laid back? I could make a similar observation about Americans, who seem to be lounging around Starbucks all day.

Michael From New York Jul 12th, 2002 06:07 PM

I've been to Asia four years in a row. This November will mark my fifth trip flying from New York to Asia and back.<BR><BR>It is a long trip for me. New York's JFK to Vancouver is the first leg if you fly with Cathay Pacific. That's about 5 1/2 hrs. An hour on the ground in Vancouver, I don't get off the plane - why have to queue up again to re-board, then on to Hong Kong and this leg is generally about 15 hours.<BR><BR>In 1998 - I flew on directly to Bangkok. I was exhausted. I managed to stay awake until about 900 PM on Friday after leaving New York on Wednesday night. Going back, I had a few days in Hong Kong, and the flight back to New York is considerably faster (between 3.5 and 4.5 hrs faster due to tail winds. I took one day off before returning to the office. <BR><BR>They say you need 1 full day for each time zone change. And on your first trip to Asia and back this is true.<BR><BR>In 1999 I decide to stay in HK for five days before going on to Singapore. When I returned to New York, I still thought the travel was long and tiring in either direction but I still wanted more of Asia.<BR><BR>In 2000 I flew into Hong Kong as usual with Cathay and then directly on to Bali. That night I was too tired to even go out for dinner, electing to have room service.<BR><BR>Last year, 2001, I again stayed in Hong Kong for a few days before heading out to Phuket. And I stayed in Hong Kong for a few days after two weeks in Thailand. Returning to New York On a Wednesday I was able to go the office the next day.<BR><BR>My conclusions about the traveling are this, if you are a tall man like myself, and not really able to sleep on the plane, flying to Hong Kong and staying there from New York was much better. On the 2 trips that I landed in Hong Kong and then went on to Bali, or Bangkok, I was exhausted.<BR><BR>So maybe you have to make the trip in stages. And always try to leave from some place closer to the States. Leaving from Bangkok, Singapore, Jakarta, and Bali will obviously be longer trips home than leaving from Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taipei, or Tokyo.<BR><BR>Michael<BR><BR>But for you people making a once in a lifetime trip to Asia, don't even think about jet lag. Sure you will be tired. So what. It will pass.<BR><BR>

Jim Rosenberg Jul 13th, 2002 04:57 AM

We went to Asia last fall and we are returning in November. I like a drastic change of environment when I travel and that is something that Asia provides. We found the people of Thailand to be very friendly and interesting. The environment is incredibly stimulating.<BR><BR>It's also a tremendous value in terms of costs. The status we achieve by including these types of long-hauls into our travel schedule pays dividends throughout the year with upgrades on other flights, etc. Really, it's a wonderful experience and you get a LOT for a relatively modest investment when it is compared to many travel alternatives. It is DEFINITELY worth it. <BR><BR>As for jetlag, I agree with Michael: you'll get over it. Actually, it is surprising how little of that we notice now, after a number of overseas trips, but I remember it well on the first one. We've found we have been able to condition ourselves out of jetlag problems with experience, but I'm sure that varies by individual, too. If you're concerned, just give yourself a day or two for re-orientation upon your return. Adrenalin may well take care of you going over. :o)

jetlag Jul 13th, 2002 09:09 AM

I agree with Michael and Jim that jetlag is not a problem. My husband has his first overseas travel in 1999. He was in bed for three days. I was very diappointed since I had never seen someone that handled jetlag so poorly. But once he got over that, he had a lot of fun and decided to go overseas every year. The next year he surprised me again. We arrived in the morning, left our luggage in the hotel, then went out to have a regular tourist day until the evening. It has been three years now. His vacations just get better and better.

John G Jul 13th, 2002 07:41 PM

I have been to China, Hong Kong (3 times), India, Sri Lanka, Japan, and I am leaving for Thailand and Cambodia on Thursday. I adore Asia. I find it much more exciting and fufilling than Europe.<BR><BR>Being a Buddhist, I also find the spiritual nature of Asians much more appealing than the egoism of Occidentals.<BR><BR>The air travel to Asia from the East Coast of the US is the worst aspect of the trip. I usually drink a glass or two of wine and take a Valium to knock myselft out for 8 hours. The rest of the time I read or do the NY TIMES Sunday crossword puzzle. I also spend alot of time walking or standing in the back of the plane. This eliminates leg fatigue and helps with circulation. When I get really bored, I talk to someone who looks interesting, usually with the opening line, "What do you think of Schiller's use of Aristotelean tragedy in Maria Stuart?" This gets me a big response. :)<BR><BR>Just don't get drunk and pee on the drinks cart or scream, "Oy, stewardess, more peanuts!"

Ursula Jul 14th, 2002 02:47 PM

Let me clarify myself, when I said these people are laid back, I meant in their thinking. They are not up tight about anything and they also put us to shame about work. They'll do a 10 hour day and have no complaints. In vietnam, the hotel I usually stay, the receptionist works 7 days a week, 10 hours a day and that's normal.

Sally Jul 16th, 2002 05:47 AM

I go to Asia once a year because my sister and her family live there. I just love the variety of food offered in Asia. Warm and friendly people too.<BR><BR>Melantonin works for me, so there is no jetlag to worry.

Ursula Jul 16th, 2002 06:17 AM

I travel to Asia once a year, in general.<BR>I travel there, because I love it. It's as simple as that.<BR><BR>I usually suffer from jetlag a couple of days, especially when spending the first days in a large city like BKK. But then, I usually travel during Europe's winter and have to get used to the change of temps at the same time. <BR>Could be a mixture of just everything time gap, temperature change, change of food, etc.<BR><BR>When flying back home (to Europe), jetlag is usually not as significant, but then, I am home and sleeping in my bed.

DOM Jul 16th, 2002 06:42 PM

I go to Asia because the girls are much prettier than the fat ones we have back home.

STUPID Jul 17th, 2002 02:37 AM

BEFORE 2001,I WENT TO ASIA 3 TIMES ONE YEAR.BECAUSE MY EX-GIRLFRIEND IS IN BANGKOK.BUT NO MORE,FINALY I REALIZED SHE JUST WANTED MY MONEY.....SHE HAD SOMEONE ELSE THERE.

Lia Jul 17th, 2002 05:42 PM

I never really had any interest in Asia before but have always liked to go to fun, exotic places with lots to see and do. Having travelled throughout Europe and North America, I actually had hoped to go to the Middle East last year but Sept 11th changed the plan so I went to Hong Kong instead and had such a fabulous time that I'm going back this year to HK, Beijing, Shanghai and maybe some other Asian cities. Also considering starting my own import business so maybe I can finance future travel adventures!!!