How much time to connect to Air Asia

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much time to connect to Air Asia

We are flying in from LAX to KL and will be connecting to Air Asia. How long will we need to safely make these connections?
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Air Asia check in counters close 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure. You will not be able to check in from LAX or check baggage through. Once in KL, you will have to go through immigration, collect your bags, clear customs, and make it to the Air Asia check in counter before it closes for your flight. Assuming no delays anywhere along the line (flight, immigration, luggage, customs), 3 hours between flights would be bare minimum.

With Air Asia, if you miss the flight for any reason at all, even previous flight delay, then you have to buy a new ticket. They will not reschedule you.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 11:13 PM

Also, if you are connecting to an international Air Asia flight, you will need to allow for time to clear immigration AGAIN on the way out.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:16 PM

It probably depends what time you get in--our flight from the USA arrived at 7am and getting thru baggage, Customs, and over to LCCT via taxi took about less than an hour.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:20 PM

A related question: how long is needed to connect between 2 Air Asia flights at the LCCT terminal in KL?

Thanks
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Well, remember that Air Asia as a budget airline does not transfer you luggage even between its own flights. So once you arrive, you'll ned to pick up your luggage, go through Passport control and customs (if it was an international flight) go to the Air Asia check-in area and recheck your luggage for your next flight. If it is an international flight, you'll have to go back through passport control, then onward to board your flight.

LCCT is huge - allow for that as well. I'd usually allow two to three hours. But see KimJapan's comments above, which would cause me to opt for a 3 hour connection time.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 08:01 PM

i suspect you will arrive at the main airport....air asia goes from the low cost airline airport which is maybe a 20+ minute ride away....don't know how you would connect from one to the other....

i can't see less than 3 hours to do the feat...
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 08:02 PM

cruise---not much time is needed but i would allow 1 hours....remember the flights can be late too....
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm considering connecting between 2 Air Asia flights, arriving and departing from LCCT. The options are a 2hr 10min connection, or a 3hr 30 min connection.

Bob- based on your last comment, do you think the shorter connection time is doable? Or should I play it safe with the much longer connection? Thanks
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Are both flights international? If, so I'd allow the longer time, as you'll have to go through passport control twice in additon to picking up and rechecking your luggage. If one is domestic, you could take a chance with the shorter connection time, keeping in mind what Kim mentioned above - if you miss the flight for ANY reason, Air Ais will require you to buy a new ticket.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 05:37 PM

personally i would go with the longer one, just so you don't stress....watch, all the flights will be early.....several AA flights i have been on left early too....

not like bkk air though, at least they let everyone sit down first...
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Have you considered carry on only luggage? You can check in online I think 48 hours before your flight with Air Asia. Air Asia allow 7 kg of hand luggage and of course you would have to meet all the liquid restrictions. We have started doing the carry on only thing when we travel....it really is liberating. If you love to shop have checkin on the way home.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 09:43 PM

One issue I have with Air Asia is they unload luggage from incoming flights and dump the bags somewhere while they load the outgoing flight luggage and sometimes the wait for checked luggage can be up to one hour. however a plus is that the LCCT is quite compact and the time it takes to clear customs if coming from somewhere like Indonesia is usually 30 mins or so, nothing like KLIA. You can always stopover at the Tune Hotel at LCCT. Rooms normally priced at around 40-80 ringit (sometimes 20 ringit)basic but oh so convenient. You need to book online rather than just turn up and hope for a bed. It's a walk throught the carpark near Malaysia POS. Food Garden via the covered walkway past the city buses has excellent budget food.