Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   how much in china? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/how-much-in-china-225089/)

lee may May 25th, 2002 08:22 PM

how much in china?

dear friends.<BR> i am gonna to spend 3 weeks in china. but somehow, how much do i actually need? maybe i am gonna to travel alone. <BR> pls let me know,<BR> regards,<BR> lee may.<BR><BR>

steve May 27th, 2002 08:24 PM

there are atm's is all the major cities

Peter N-H May 29th, 2002 05:25 AM

All major cities do indeed have ATMs, but some major cities, including some provincial capitals, do not have ATMs which accept foreign cards. <BR><BR>Even in those cities with foreigner-friendly machines, these represent only a handful of the total available.<BR><BR>Once you know your itinerary it's best to look at the Web site of your card issuer to find out where the ATMs you can use are. Both the Visa and Mastercard sites have this information, for instance.<BR><BR>However, the system is far more likely to break down than you would probably find at home, and it's unwise to let your funds run very low before trying to find a functioning machine.<BR><BR>And on the original question, it's possible to travel in China for as little as US$10 a day (some do it for less, but a little illegality and a great deal of discomfort is involved). It's also possible to spend as much as you would in London or New York. Someone will be able to answer the original query when they know whether you prefer buses or taxis, five star rooms or dormitories, planes or trains, and so on.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Barry T May 31st, 2002 05:45 PM

Peter: If not ATM's, then what's the best way to take money with you?<BR><BR>BarryT

Patty Jun 4th, 2002 11:11 AM

I noticed that the exchange rate at several hotels was higher for traveler's checks than for cash (USD). You get about 0.2 to 0.3 yuan more per dollar when exchanging traveler's checks.

Peter N-H Jun 4th, 2002 04:30 PM

The exchange rate is fixed by the Bank of China and faxed daily to all exchange outlets in hotels, so in all cases the rate is slightly better for cheques than for cash. Whether this is a benefit or not depends on how much you pay for your cheques in the first place. The commission on exchange in China is 0.75%, by the way.<BR><BR>When the are no functioning ATMs you can always walk into the biggest branch of the Bank of China and draw cash over the counter on Diner's, Amex, JCB, Mastercard, or Visa. Minimum withdrawal Y1200, commission 4%, plus whatever your card charges you--best saved for emergencies.<BR><BR>For a two or three week trip, and especially if you start in Beijing, the answer is probably to bring a little cash in foreign currencies (obviously be careful with it, but most other Asian countries are more of a problem for pickpockets than China, and robbery with violence from foreigners is almost unknown). Any hard currency from the Finnmark to the Malaysian ringgit will do.<BR><BR>At Beijing airport visit one of the ATMs (there are four taking foreign cards, including, highly unusually two non-Bank of China ones) and draw a lump sum of RMB to last the trip. Around China some machines have a maximum of Y2500 (should last weeks), and some do not. If the machines are down for any reason, there are four exchange counters, too. Change a little, and try the ATMs later on in the centre of Beijing, or visit Citibank or HSBC (both also in Shanghai), also in the centre of town, close to the Beijing International Hotel.<BR><BR>Keep the hard currency for emergencies or for if you just need a little more local currency at the end of the trip. Don't forget the Y90 international departure tax when you fly out, for instance.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>

steve Jun 5th, 2002 05:18 PM

i wouldnt worry about it i was able to get money while in Tibet so

lee may Jun 6th, 2002 05:18 PM

million thanks to steve,pete,barry,pat.<BR>with god by your side, you never felt alone.<BR>regards,<BR>lee may