Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How many nights/days neede in Mae Hong Son?

Oct 5th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone. Finally found a relatively good fare to Thailand so I'll be there in December, yes!

Originally, we had planned on spending 3 nts/4 days in MHS, but I feel this might be a waste of our short time in Thailand. I'm trying to tell the wife we only need 2 nights/3d, but I could be wrong! Can anyone suggest the optimum time to be spent in MHS? We'll be staying at the Fern hotel, btw. Also, we'll be doing a night in Chiang Mai on the way back.
Thanks if you can offer your input for us!
Oct 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM

We stayed 3nts/4days last December and it was just about right for us...but admittedly, I was getting a bit restless towards the end. Stay on the longer end if you plan on doing some hiking in the National Park, if not 2 nights and 3 days is more than sufficient.

Definitely rent a scooter in-town. It's the best way to get back and forth from town to the Fern Resort...not to mention it gives you complete freedom to explore the nooks and crannies of the town (not that there are many.) Don't rely on the hotel shuttle service--it's too few and far between to be of any use.

A hike up to Doi Kong Mu, the temple that overlooks the entire valley and city, is a must, as well as a visit to the local night market on the lake for some yummy local eats from street vendors.

MHS is beautiful...definitely something I'll always remember. We stopped in Pai on the way back, and while I did enjoy my time there, I could see how folks might be put off by the (local) tourist onslaught there.
Oct 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Will. Some great suggestions! I will certainly put these things on the itinerary. I appreciate your input very much. The night market on the lake sounds especially appetizing!!
Oct 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM

It is, Mango. I could've spent weeks eating there and drinking Changs watching the moon come up over the lake.

Interesting tidbit: my profile pic is the view from Fern Resort's bar overlooking their rice fields at sunset. Trust me, you will NEVER get sick of this view. If they could bottle and sell that view, they'd make a fortune!
Oct 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Awesome, Filmwill. I can't wait! I'll report back for sure..