Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   How many days to explorer Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/how-many-days-to-explorer-bangkok-721518/)

shayna_punim Jul 17th, 2007 07:39 AM

How many days to explorer Bangkok

I will be on my honeymoon, but don't want to gloss over Bangkok. We want to spend most of our time on the beach in a resort, but want to see the highlights of bangkok -- is one full day enough? Two days?

Also -- how long would I need to set aside to travel from bangkok to the NOrth and then from the South back to Bangkok (time at airport and length of flight).

Thanks!

Kathie Jul 17th, 2007 08:07 AM

No, even two days is not enough to explore Bangkok. Bangkok is a city of glorious wats, fabulous foods, great shopping and wonderful, luxurious hotels. Don't short your time in Bangkok. The beach will be nice, but it won't give you the feel for the Thai culture athat Bangkok will.

As I remember, you have two weeks, including travel time. If you have 12 days on the ground, you might divide them 4 in Bangkok (maybe two at each end), 4 in the North and 4 at a beach. If you opt for Chaing Mai rather than the Golden Triangle area, I'd say 4 in Bangkok, 3 in CM and 5 at a beach.

If you can add a couple of days to your trip, that would help you fell not so rushed.

shayna_punim Jul 17th, 2007 08:21 AM

Yeah, I def. don't want to be rushed. I'm not sure if we can add time (we both may have limited days off of work, and since the wedding is on a Sat. night, we don't have the benefit of squeezing some time over the weekends).

We will have bangkok in the beginning and ends of our trip.

The flights are what is messing us up right now, as it seems we will arrive to BKK in the middle of the day/early evening on Tuesday. So I was thinking that night in Bangkok, all day Wed and Thursday in Bangkok --- flight to the North Friday morning (not sure how long this flight is).

then figure out how long in North/South -- fly back from South Sat morning (the 15th) to Bangkok and have that whole day and Sunday day before the flight.

Gpanda Jul 17th, 2007 08:25 AM

Bangkok is a magical city. Many of us on this forum return year after year. It would be a mistake to cut your time short. If you stay in a nice hotel, you can plunge into BKK and relax at the same time. Four days is the minimum to see a small portion of BKK and enjoy yourself. Once you finalize your in-Thailand travel arrangements, we will be glad to recommend many sights/activities in BKK.

Kathie's suggested split is very good.

Kathie Jul 17th, 2007 08:41 AM

The flight to the north is only about an hour. As you note, it's the getting to and from the airport and the waiting at teh airport that takes time.

glorialf Jul 17th, 2007 11:00 AM

I think you need at least 5 full days to even begin to do Bangkok justice. If your main reason for going to thailand is to go to the beach you might want to consider a different location. I'm one of those who thinks the beaches in Thailand while gorgeous are not unique -- you can find equally fabulous beaches a lot closer to home. Bangkok and northern thailand, however, are unique and you can stay in exquisite hotels and resorts that will give you the luxury and comfort and relaxation you want but will also give you a unique cultural experience. I've been to Bangkok 18 times for a total of over 150 days and I don't feel like I have begun to see it all.

rhkkmk Jul 19th, 2007 09:18 AM

i also prefer 5 days in bkk... flights are only about 1 hour more or less but you have to allow 1/2 day for the total time...

also make sure which airports your flights will use in bkk...they are far apart...