Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   How is Hong Kong weather in July? Has anyone experiences typhoon season? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/how-is-hong-kong-weather-in-july-has-anyone-experiences-typhoon-season-43495/)

Terry May 4th, 1999 07:56 AM

How is Hong Kong weather in July? Has anyone experiences typhoon season?

A friend and I are travelling to Honk Kong during the first week of July. We hear this is the beginning of typhoon season, which can cause havoc on vacations. Does anyone have an opinion on Hong Kong travel in July? Has anyone experienced travel during typhoon season? Any tips/recommendations?

toom May 4th, 1999 10:13 AM

I am afraid so about your trip to HK in July. I think not only HK will be in the monsoon season, but all over the east asia. It will be quite hard rain, and you cannot do anything else until the rain stops. I would suggest travel now until by the end of May, or wait until by the end of Sep to travel in that region again.

Emily May 4th, 1999 02:33 PM

I have been in Shanghai in July when a typhoon hit and also in Taiwan during similar conditions. In both cases, everything shut down: tours, sight-seeing, trains, boats, etc. etc. Be flexible, have a back-up plan, schedule some lag time so you don't get panicky about your travel connections, and enjoy the experience!

David May 4th, 1999 08:26 PM

Hi Terry, <BR> <BR>I've lived in HK for the past several years. Typhoon season generally lasts from May to October -- but it really depends. Some years (like last year), I can't recall any typhoons. This year, one has already passed by. <BR> <BR>Chances are that you shouldn't have any problems (I travel extensively, and really haven't experienced many disruptions). Generally, a typhoon will pass through in less than 24 hours. HK is well prepared, with signal warnings indicating how close a typhoon is. But as Emily says, be flexible, have a back-up plan just in case, and enjoy your trip!

Ricky May 28th, 1999 01:22 AM

Hi, I am a resident in HK. If possible, try to delay your trip after Sept. (sunny day but not too hot). <BR>Although it is typhoon season in July, it's not that frequent (probably 2-3 for the whole season). As long as it is not Signal No. 8, there will be not much disruption. You can go shopping in big shopping mall in rainy day. Good luck!

aalice May 31st, 1999 04:35 AM

How would the 3rd week of June be as far as weather is concerned?

Ricky May 31st, 1999 06:26 PM

Aalice, you want to know the weather on an exact date. I think even the HK Observatory can't give you the answer. But generally speaking, it will be hot (28-32 C degree) in daytime. Unless you are bad luck, it could be rainy or even a typhoon.

Lincoln Jun 5th, 1999 04:29 AM

<BR>There was not a single tyhoon last year. However, the HK Observatory already reported that 1999 will be a "tyhoon" year. There will be a lot of tyhoons(not only in HK, but the entire Southeast Asia and East Asia). We already had one and only the second tyhoon in the month of April in recorded history. You can always try your luck. Even this is a tyhoon year, I am only expecting no more than 3 direct-hit tyhoons this year. It is very likely you won't encounter one.