Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   How do these landmarks look? Shanghai to Lhasa. (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/how-do-these-landmarks-look-shanghai-to-lhasa-950266/)

fuzzybabybunny Sep 12th, 2012 06:48 PM

How do these landmarks look? Shanghai to Lhasa.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...bb078d1fe1cd59

I've got from Oct 24 to Nov ~15 to do this. Doable and in this order? I don't even know how much money I should budget for this - I'm find living in the cheapest conditions. I also really need internet access throughout the entire trip to check work emails.

Start in Shanghai
Wuzhen Water Town
Huangshan
Longsheng Rice Terraces
Wulingyuan
TerraCotta Warriors in Xian
Jiuzhaigou
Jade Dragon Snow Mountain
Potala Palace
Fly out from Lhasa

Hanuman Sep 12th, 2012 07:01 PM

So you've solved your Chinese visa problems?

What is your budget for accommodation and food?

fuzzybabybunny Sep 12th, 2012 07:16 PM

I think my Visa problems are solved. I'm letting a travel agency handle it. It's already been sent out. I've been to China before and have been approved for the Chinese Visa 3 times already.

Budget would be... I dunno. $1000-$2000? I can live super cheap if I need to. I have no interest in the finer things in life.

fuzzybabybunny Sep 12th, 2012 07:23 PM

Oh yeah, that budget's not including airfare.

thursdaysd Sep 12th, 2012 08:05 PM

That ought to be enough, but there has been discussion recently in another place about difficulties foreigners have been having getting to stay in the cheapest places. Friends of mine also encountered the same difficulties early this year. The really budget places were turning away foreigners because of problems with registering them. If you speak good Mandarin you might be able to argue your way in, otherwise you'll probably be sent to pricier places.

I haven't checked on the restrictions for visits to Tibet recently, have you?

Hanuman Sep 12th, 2012 08:16 PM

Hmm... I had the impression, or misunderstood, that you have never travel abroad before. If you have been to China before then all your questions doesn't really make sense.

fuzzybabybunny Sep 12th, 2012 10:34 PM

My other times traveling to China have been part of school visits or parents handling the paperwork. This is the first time where I am handling all the logistics. What questions don't make sense exactly?

I think I'm going to nix Tibet. Too much of a hassle. I'll save that for another trip, or maybe just view it from Nepal.

@thursdaysd what do you mean about it's hard to register foreigners? It's hard to register them because they don't speak the language very well, so they turn them towards pricier hotels with English speaking staff? I can speak decent Chinese and could definitely book a room if I wanted to to.

Hanuman Sep 13th, 2012 12:23 AM

So you speak decent Chinese, been to China at least 3 times and you still need our help??? This is what I mean when I said your questions does not make sense as you have more experience than most of the people who are trying to help you!

fuzzybabybunny Sep 13th, 2012 03:34 AM

I've been to China only once. The other two times I got approved for a Visa I didn't go for family reasons.

The one time I went to China it was more or less a guided tour, so no, I have no experience actually getting around the country on my own. I'm looking for people who have experience getting around the country on their own.

I can't read Chinese either. I can only speak it, sort of.

rhkkmk Sep 13th, 2012 07:14 AM

you need to be registered with the police by every hotel, and they are having problems (the hotels) with the added paperwork with the police for foreign visitors

fuzzybabybunny Sep 13th, 2012 08:17 PM

@rhkkmk

Are you serious? So every hotel, every motel, every hostel, every single night I'm in China I have to register with the local police? Like, go to the actual police station or just fill out more paperwork every night?

Sounds more and more like I should just pick a totally different country to travel to.

thursdaysd Sep 13th, 2012 08:24 PM

Registration is not unique to China. Typically, the hotel takes your passport for short while and handles it for you. In China, the really cheap places aren't set up to do it for foreigners.

fuzzybabybunny Sep 13th, 2012 10:19 PM

@thursdaysd

Hostels should be able to do it right? Considering hostels usually cater to international travelers...

thursdaysd Sep 14th, 2012 08:12 AM

Maybe. Actually, I was talking about budget Chinese hotels, not hostels, I thought you wanted to get off the beaten track and you won't find hostels out in the country. Also, there are 1.3+ billion people in China, many of them now traveling, international tourists aren't a big market, especially at the budget level.

There have been reports of places actually listed in Lonely Planet turning foreigners away. Like the more stringent visa requirements, this is a new development and it's possible it may be temporary - in place for the leadership change, maybe. But it's equally possible that it will stay.