Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > How do Bagan and Mrauk U compare?
Notices

How do Bagan and Mrauk U compare?

Apr 17th, 2016, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

How do Bagan and Mrauk U compare?

I'm reading about places to visit in Burma and Mrauk U appears to be interesting. I will definitely include Bagan on my upcoming trip. I'm not convinced Mrauk U is feasiable given the travel time involved in getting there and the fact that certain areas near Mrauk U are off limits to visitors.

How do the two sights compare, are the temples in Bagan similar?

Is skipping Mrauk U a mistake?

Thank you.
Apr 17th, 2016, 08:17 AM

Bagan is stunning and a bit overwhelming with its thousands of temples.

Mrauk U is very different - the temples are like fortresses (when you read the history, you understand why) with hidden catacombs of Buddha statues. We went to Mrauk U during our second trip to Burma, in 2011. As you note, it takes a lot of time. If you have the time and won't be shorting the other places you want to see, do it. If you can't take the time this trip, plan to do it next trip.

Take a look at our photos: www.marlandc.com

The best Bagan photos are in the 2009 trip, we spent less time in Bagan in 2011, but there are interesting photos from that trip (especially the ones in monastery temples) and there are plenty of Mrauk U photos from 2011.
Apr 17th, 2016, 10:13 AM

If you have the time, I highly recommend visiting MU as well as Bagan. As Kathie noted they are different. I loved Bagan, but I also loved our time in MU. The boat trip is long, but scenic. The temples are stunning, and you can bike everywhere, if you enjoy biking. Also, I preferred it to Bagan because there were far fewer tourists.

Search this Thread