Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How cold in Rajasthan in February. What to wear?

Old May 31st, 2006, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How high and how low will be temperatures at Rajasthan in February? I will be travelling to Jaisalmer, Jaipur, Udaipur, etc. Need your recommendations on what to wear.

Thanks
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:21 PM

Hi Gilberto - We were there in February last year. It can be chilly (50 - 60 degrees) at night and in the early morning so a light jacket and/or a sweater would be a good idea. Dressing in layers is your best bet as it can get fairly warm (65 - 75 degrees) during the day. Be sure to bring sunscreen and/or a hat as it will be sunny almost all of the time. If you are going to Ranthambore, consider bringing a heavier coat, gloves and a hat for the early morning game drives as it can get into the 40's there.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Craig. I'm almost ready to post what is going to be definitive? itinerary for Rajasthan. After that will send it to two or three Indian agents and wait for their responses and pricing.
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:55 PM

a. The maximum temperatures in Rajasthan shall be around 90F at Jodhpur & Jaisalmer. The days are warm with bright sunshine, excellent weather for sight seeing. The mornings & evenings shall be pleasantly colder and a light jacket will keep out the breeze.
b. The lowest temperatures you will encounter shall be your early morning visit to the Taj, with temp. of about 18F, as you sit & listen to your guide explain to you, the physical, metaphysical & spiritual details of the monument before you.
c. Cotton clothing is best, though you will also be comfortable in terry-cots.
Happy Hunting!
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:10 PM

YPsingh could not mean a temp of 18 F, as that is well below the freezing mark of 32 F, which would be very unusual in Rajathsan for February or any month. It is possible he meant 8 C, about 44 F, which at sunrise at the Taj is likely and certainly what you would encounter at Ranthambore before sunrise (hence the need for gloves and a hat). As you have to take your shoes off at the Taj, the marble is pretty cold, so socks are very helpful as well (and at Fatephur Sikri.)

The 90 F temp quoted is rare in my experience for February, I find it more in the range quoted by Craig, also look at weatherbase.com for historical average.

Remeber that while high 60s to mid 70s may seem like warm temps to you, to the locals this is "winter" and they will be in sweaters and shawls. While you won't be wearing shorts in those temps most likely, you probably want to be more layered to try to fit in a bit and as the temps do drop quickly when the sun is down. This is a great time for those wonderful wool Indian shawls not to mention heaviy pashminas.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:36 AM

Sorry Gentlemen, I goofed up the conversion. Kindly read it as 80F on the max. & about 60F early morning at Taj Mahal.
Best Wishes.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:30 PM
Lyd

we were in jodhpur and udaipur for the last week of feb this year and it was hot (80-85+ F) during the middle of the day. Sweaters at night. Glorious, actually.