Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   How can you afford to fly in to Tokyo and out of Osaka (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/how-can-you-afford-to-fly-in-to-tokyo-and-out-of-osaka-493252/)

robw95 Jan 6th, 2005 02:29 PM

How can you afford to fly in to Tokyo and out of Osaka

Hi,

I'm going to Japan in mid Feb for 10 days or so and will be doing the Tokyo and Kyoto areas. I was reviewing other people's itineraries here and noticed that many are flying into Tokyo and out of Osaka or vice versa. Everytime I price one way flights like that it is quite expensive so I'm wondering how people are doing this. The decent priced fares seemed to be roundtrips from the States to Tokyo or Osaka. Are people using package tours to get these flights.

Has anybody ever flown into Tokyo, stayed a few days, gone on to Kyoto, and after touring there, return to Tokyo to catch their return flight?

Thanks. Rob

jenniel6 Jan 6th, 2005 03:39 PM

What rate are you looking for?
Where are you flying from in the US?
I am flying from SFO to NRT, then returning from Osaka - total cost just under $700.

emd Jan 6th, 2005 04:17 PM

Some of us aren't so lucky. I am flying into Narita, staying in Tokyo area for 5-6 days, then Kyoto and surrounding areas for a week, and taking the train back to Tokyo and Narita on the morning of my 3 pm return flight. I am flying on frequent flyer miles and couldn't get the return out of Kansai. There is a 7:22 a.m. Shin. Hikari from Kyoto to Shinagawa that arrives at 10:05, then we switch at Shinagawa to the Narita Express and arrive at Narita at 11:58 a.m. I am crossing fingers that it all goes ok.

estse8 Jan 6th, 2005 04:24 PM

Check United.com. I just priced out SFO-NRT (Feb17),KIX-SFO(Feb28) at $534.95

estse8 Jan 6th, 2005 04:31 PM

go to this link:
https://www.itn.net/cgi/res?stamp=kr...=1&air.2=0

Put this all on one line.

nickn Jan 6th, 2005 09:53 PM

As estse8 indicated, the into NRT and out of KIX (open-jaw) fare is usually not much more than into NRT and out of NRT, if you are coming from the US, provided you book both segment at the same time as one reservation.

However, if you "price one way flights" you will get breathtaking prices as you have noted.

Greg_R Jan 9th, 2005 01:17 AM

To emd:

We've decided to try the same...We fly from Narita to Heathrow from Terminal 1 at 13:10...since this will also be the last day of our Rail Pass we've decided to take the train all the way back from Kyoto leaving at 6:21(hikari) connecting at either Shinagawa or Tokyo and arriving at Narita T1 at 10:57. Should be OK.

As the airline we're flying doesn't operate out of Kansai, we would have had to fly from Itami and connect at Narita anyway.

Anybody else have experience doing this?

Thanks, Greg

emd Jan 9th, 2005 03:39 AM

The bummer will be dealing w/our luggage in Shinagawa w/the switch from shinkansen to narita express. It will be the only time we have to deal w/luggage like this (since we are taking the limosine bus to our Tokyo hotel and having our luggage sent from Tokyo to Kyoto hotels) and of course it will be at the point where we have the most stuff after shopping etc. I am considering shipping whatever we buy while there and some additional stuff back to the states on our last full day in Kyoto so that we only have our small 21 inch rolling suitcases that last day.
Do you have the JR's paper schedule booklet? It REALLY helps. I find it much clearer and easier to understand than dealing w/hyperdia w/it's quirks.

emd Jan 9th, 2005 03:44 AM

I also considered flying from Itami to Narita, but it is also our last day on JR pass that day and just can't rationalize the expense (and it is probably not that much more convenient because you still have to get to the airport from Kyoto or stay in Osaka the last night). But if you do look further into that, ANA and JAL have several special deals where you can fly cheap within Japan. Let us know if you want the link to that info.

mrwunrfl Jan 10th, 2005 05:01 AM

Have you seen the airfare ads in that say "fares each way based on round trip purchase"? Those fares apply to open jaw roundtrips. The fare to Osaka will likely be a bit lower than to Tokyo.

emd, have you looked into shipping your bags from Kyoto to Narita? When I transited NRT on Saturday, I noticed the baggage delivery service booths in the departure area. After you grab your bags there you would have to move them maybe 50 feet to the check in counter. Very convenient.

mrwunrfl Jan 10th, 2005 05:03 AM

robw95, you can call the airline to book an open jaw. If you book online, look for the multiple destinations search options.

emd Jan 10th, 2005 05:23 AM

mrwunrfl: I wondered if that service was available. But man does it make me nervous to think of shipping my bags to the airport. What if they aren't there when we get there. It doesn't bother me to ship btwn. hotels, but the airport, when we are leaving...this would be a big leap of faith for me, but I will think more about it now that you have raised it as a real possibility.
Has anyone out there done this and can tell me it went ok?
BTW, mrwunrfl, when you get back here check out the article in yesterday's Washington Post travel section on the author's trip to Shiraishi island (in the inland sea). I am definitley going to some of the other islands on my next trip to japan.

Gargiulo Jan 16th, 2005 06:40 AM

I understand your concern, although I haven't done this before (shipping luggage) I have heard they have an excellent record...so I am shipping luggage all during our trip in May (a/p to hotel, hotel to hotel, hotel back to a/p). We take two huge suitcases and I just can't pack lite and don't want to worry w/stuff on the bullet train...however we will also take two small carryon's that will stay with us all trip..just in case. Please email me after your experience ([email protected]) Thank you!

emd Jan 16th, 2005 07:10 AM

gargiulo: I posted this also on the airlines board and got some very reassuring replies. Look at that post also. I have decided we will definitely be sending our bags from Kyoto hotel to Narita w/ABC (had already intended to send them from the Tokyo hotel to Kyoto hotel). I'll do a trip report so look for that, not sure I will recall to email you after the trip.