Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   How are the Maldives? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/how-are-the-maldives-93603/)

Mike Blocker Nov 13th, 2000 11:19 AM

How are the Maldives?

My wife and I are thinking about going to the Maldives in December, but know little about them. We like warm, sunny uncrowded beaches (clean with clear water), good food and wine, room with balcony, adequate nightlife (restaurants, bars, clubs that stay open late). Which islands are the best? <BR>Thanks for your help.

HKJudy Nov 13th, 2000 07:38 PM

My husband and I spent 4 idyllic days there a few years ago. The water is the clearest I've ever seen (incredible really) and the beaches the whitest. Food and wine was superb and abundant. <BR> <BR>We were at the Banyan Tree in Vabbinfaru but I gather that most of the resorts are just as good. I doubt that you can go wrong (especially if you pick a familiar name). <BR> <BR>If there weren't so much else to see in the world - we'd go back next holiday :) <BR> <BR>Have a great time. <BR> <BR>Judy in Hong Kong <BR>Accommodating Asia... let travellers' experiences be your guide <BR>http://www.accomasia.com

Liz Nov 14th, 2000 07:19 AM

Hi there <BR> <BR>The Maldives are totally idylic and heaven on earth exactly what you would imagine paradise to be like and more. December through April is the best time to visit when the water is clear and the weather "perfect". The "5 star" islands all seem to be the smaller ones and so you probably won't find that bit of unsecluded beach you are looking for. Personally i would choose one of the larger islands. We visited Meerufenfushi last year and it was absolutley fantasitic, being one of the larger islands we were able to settle on a piece of beach and not see another soul all day. Their water bungalows are particularly good (they were only built a couple of years ago). The only thing you might not find is a busy night life but you would struggle to find that on any of the islands there are bars and restaurants that usually stay open until the last person leaves , some of them have dance floors but not clubs as such. <BR> <BR>Ari Beach is another of the larger islands that I have heard good reports about. check out www.aribeach.com. the website is actually a bit out of date but at least it gives you an impression of what it's like. <BR> <BR>Hope you find what you are looking for.

Myriam Nov 15th, 2000 05:09 AM

The Maldives are a group of atolls in the Indian Ocean, every atoll consists of dozens of small islands, uninhabited islands and tourist resorts (1 hotel per island), very popular with scuba divers and sunbathers. From what I have read about it, most of the resorts seem to be very quiet without much of a nightlife. <BR> <BR>You will find tons of information and the most beautiful pictures on various websites like: www.hellomaldives.com ; www.villahotels-maldives.com ; www.unisurf.com ; www.maldivesresorts.com and many others. <BR> <BR>We have recently booked a waterbungalow at Kuramathi Cottage Club for February 2001. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Ifen Nov 15th, 2000 02:41 PM

My husband and I just returnd last week from a fantastic honeymoon at Maldives! This place is truly paradise. Great weather, wonderful beaches, clear blue water, and excellent snorkling with abundant marine-life. It should meet all of your criteria except: 1) rooms with balcony and 2) nightlife. Every resort will be different, but I don't know of any that has multi-floors, and thus rooms with balconies. Most resorts will have stand-alone type of bungalows (although the over-the-water ones will have balconies - is that what you're looking for?). <BR> <BR>As far as night life goes - you're not going to find it here. As a previous poster noted, each island is its own resort. There are no bars, clubs or restaurants to go to outside the resort. And if you get off the island, you're only going to another resort. Maldives is a strict Muslim country, and alcohol is banned everywhere except the resorts. <BR> <BR>Having said all that - I still recommend giving Maldives a try. We stayed at 2 places: The Four Seasons at Kuda Huraa and the Banyan Tree. <BR> <BR>Both resorts are excellent. The main differences between them are: The Four Seasons has better service and is more luxurious (you pay more for it, too), while the Banyan Treet is more rustic (but still very nice) and has better beaches and snorkling. The food and wine at both places are wonderful - although you'll have more dining options at The Four Seasons since they have 3 restaurants and 3 bars on the resort, whereas Banyan Tree only has one restaurant and bar and the meals are all inclusive. If you like spa treatments, Banyan Tree has a world-class spa on the island...total bliss. <BR> <BR>I liked them both very much - but if I were to go back again, I'd go to The Four Seasons. From the personalized greeting when you first arrive - to the daily replenished jar of aloe vera in your bathroom - and the "home-made" popsicles, ice water spray bottles,and chilled face towels that are served generously as the day heats up - Four Seasons has thought of EVERYTHING to keep their guests happy and comfortable. The rooms are very nice and big, too. <BR> <BR>On the otherhand, if you want something a little more casual and "Robinson Crusoe"ish with better snorkling, then Banyan Tree is better. <BR> <BR>I hope you'll make it out there!