Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Houston GTG Travel Quiz (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/houston-gtg-travel-quiz-645790/)

BillT Sep 11th, 2006 09:53 AM

Houston GTG Travel Quiz

The Travel Quiz below was given at the Houston GTG on September 9th.
Take the quiz and see how you rank.
95%-100% - you are a Globetrekker.
80%-90%- Traveler,
below 80% - Tourist!
Answers to be posted in a few days.
No cheating now!

Q1. I am a Merlion- where can you find me?

Q2. In what city was the famous Sacher Tort created?

Q3. Where in England did William Skakespear grow up?

Q4. Mark Twain called it the most moving piece of stone in the world. In what Swiss City would you find this lion carved in stone?

Q5. What internationally renown city, outside the US, has a functioning monorail in the downtown- not in any way connected with Disney?

Q6. These twin towers located outside the US were once the tallest in the world- name the towers and the city in which they are located.

Q7. Germany has had two capitals in recent modern history- they both begin with a B name them.

Q8. What Asian country has never been invaded/conquered by foreigners?

Q9. Where are the crown jewels of England kept?

Q10. Who wrote- Europe thru the back Door?

Q11. Where was the sound of Music Filmed?

Q12. Can you name the real life family depicted in the Sound of Music?

Q13. If I’m visiting the National Museum of Science and Technology Leonardo Di Vinci - what city am I in?

Q14. The Charles bridge is located in what city?

Q15. It’s native name means City of Angels and I’m not talking about LA, name the city.

Q16.Which area of Tokyo is known for its high class shopping and was the first part of the city to be modernized in the 19th century?

Q17. In what country was a long standing dictator overthrown in a non-violent “People Power” revolution which resulted in the country’s first female president?

Q18. I am in a country spending Ringgits- where am I?

Q19. What European city is noted for its 600 year old twin tower cathedral? Not Notre Dame.

Q20. I’m standing on the famous London Bridge- where am I?

Q21.Malaysia- This seaport city is also a capital and is located in what has been referred to as the Pearl of the Orient. Name this city.

Q22. What city is considered the culinary capital of France?

Q23 What is the name of the national airline of Indonesia?

Q24 The palace of the Chinese Emperors in Beijing was known by what other name?

Q25. Your trip takes you France, Germany, Australia and Italy how do you say hello in each of these countries?

Q26. You are in Munich at the Octoberfest at one of the great beer halls- hundreds of people. You see your waitress across the room and she is looking at you for your order.
Its too noisy to call out your order so how do you signal to her that you want 2 beers?

Q27. Gloria of Fodors fame stays at what 5 star property when she is in Bangkok?

Q29. Your touring along a famous river and stopping at St. Goar. What river are you on?

Q30 You are leaving a major airport and boarding the world’s first commercial magnetic levitation train headed for the city. Which city?

Q31- I’m in Berlin at the Haupbanhof- what am I doing there?

Q32 I’m in Ann Franks’s house- what city am I in?

Q33. What is the name of the sole surviving member of Ann Franks’s family after the war?

rhkkmk Sep 11th, 2006 08:20 PM

answers please??

BillT Sep 12th, 2006 04:06 AM

I will post answers on friday- so Bob do you think you are a Globetrekker, Traveler, or a Tourist?

BillT Sep 12th, 2006 04:14 AM

Ok where are the regulars- Gloria, Gpanda, Kathie, Laurico, etc? Take the quiz- find out where you stand!

rhkkmk Sep 12th, 2006 09:23 AM

i am a tuk tuk driver and pimp to gpanda

kuranosuke Sep 12th, 2006 10:33 AM

bob, you must be straving from both occupations. lol.

rhkkmk Sep 12th, 2006 07:14 PM

can i take you to my uncles jewelry shop....it's just up the road and he has a direct authorization to sell from the king and also i can get some gas coupons to take you to my aunt's tailor shop...

monghut Sep 13th, 2006 06:32 AM

OK -- here are my answers
Q1. I am a Merlion- where can you find me? - Singapore

Q2. In what city was the famous Sacher Tort created? - Vienna

Q3. Where in England did William Skakespear grow up? - Stratford

Q4. Mark Twain called it the most moving piece of stone in the world. In what Swiss City would you find this lion carved in stone?

Q5. What internationally renown city, outside the US, has a functioning monorail in the downtown- not in any way connected with Disney?- Kuala Lampur

Q6. These twin towers located outside the US were once the tallest in the world- name the towers and the city in which they are located. _ Petronas in Kuala Lumpur

Q7. Germany has had two capitals in recent modern history- they both begin with a B name them. _ Berlin and Bonn

Q8. What Asian country has never been invaded/conquered by foreigners? - Thailand

Q9. Where are the crown jewels of England kept?- Tower of London

Q10. Who wrote- Europe thru the back Door?- Rcik Steves

Q11. Where was the sound of Music Filmed?- Austria - Salzburg

Q12. Can you name the real life family depicted in the Sound of Music?- Von Trapp

Q13. If I’m visiting the National Museum of Science and Technology Leonardo Di Vinci - what city am I in?
Milan

Q14. The Charles bridge is located in what city? - Prague

Q15. It’s native name means City of Angels and I’m not talking about LA, name the city.- Bangkok

Q16.Which area of Tokyo is known for its high class shopping and was the first part of the city to be modernized in the 19th century? - Ginza

Q17. In what country was a long standing dictator overthrown in a non-violent “People Power” revolution which resulted in the country’s first female president? - Philippines

Q18. I am in a country spending Ringgits- where am I?- Malaysia

Q19. What European city is noted for its 600 year old twin tower cathedral? Not Notre Dame. - don't know

Q20. I’m standing on the famous London Bridge- where am I? - London standing over the thames

Q21.Malaysia- This seaport city is also a capital and is located in what has been referred to as the Pearl of the Orient. Name this city. - Penang

Q22. What city is considered the culinary capital of France?- Lyon

Q23 What is the name of the national airline of Indonesia?- Garuda

Q24 The palace of the Chinese Emperors in Beijing was known by what other name?
Forbidden City
Q25. Your trip takes you France, Germany, Australia and Italy how do you say hello in each of these countries?
bonjour, don't know, hello and ciao

Q26. You are in Munich at the Octoberfest at one of the great beer halls- hundreds of people. You see your waitress across the room and she is looking at you for your order.
Its too noisy to call out your order so how do you signal to her that you want 2 beers?- don't know

Q27. Gloria of Fodors fame stays at what 5 star property when she is in Bangkok?- Oriental

Q29. Your touring along a famous river and stopping at St. Goar. What river are you on?- Rhine

Q30 You are leaving a major airport and boarding the world’s first commercial magnetic levitation train headed for the city. Which city? - shanghai

Q31- I’m in Berlin at the Haupbanhof- what am I doing there?- no idea

Q32 I’m in Ann Franks’s house- what city am I in?- amsterdam

Q33. What is the name of the sole surviving member of Ann Franks’s family after the war?- Otto Frank

BillT Sep 13th, 2006 07:32 AM

Monghut- 26 out of 33 correct. 79% - just shy of Traveler status. Full quiz answers on friday.

simpsonc510 Sep 13th, 2006 10:52 AM

Hey Bill,
I'm trying your quiz off-line. Just to clarify, your question about saying "hello" is really 4-parts. Do you count it as "1" only if all 4 answers are correct?
Carol

(great quiz, by the way)

kuranosuke Sep 13th, 2006 11:53 AM

hey carol, what if you get 3 correct. does that mean your ans. is wrong? i love bill's post. i remember his "best of" series, always controversy. lol.

BillT Sep 13th, 2006 12:10 PM

Yes you need all 4 to count the question as correct!
Monghut- are you new to the board? Where do you live- tell us a little about yourself!

simpsonc510 Sep 13th, 2006 01:35 PM

BillT
Another question. I note the answer that monghut gives an answer different from mine for Q5. There may be more correct answers than you are thinking... LOL
Carol

hawaiiantraveler Sep 13th, 2006 02:19 PM

yes there are several right answers to #5, lol

hawaiiantraveler Sep 13th, 2006 02:25 PM

and is #20 the old or new one....there both famous, ok I'll stop now :)

BillT Sep 14th, 2006 04:08 AM

Well yes there may be more than one right answer to #5, but I believe there is only one right answer for #20. Quiz answers tomorrow!

BillT Sep 14th, 2006 05:01 AM

I forgot to post the "Final Jeopardy" question- there were 2 catagories- Vienna and Bangkok. The teams got to choose one or the other and then bet from 0 to their total score at that point. Wrong answer and the team's score was reduced by their wager. here are the questions:

Vienna- there are 3 palaces in Vienna name two of them.

Bangkok- the Reclining Budda has feet made of what material?