Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotel's In Thailand & Bali - Interliners

Oct 9th, 1998, 05:13 PM
Joe

We are planning a trip to the above mentioned countries, I would like to know about hotels in both sites. I'm looking for interliner rates since my wife works for a airline. I'm semi-handicapped, walk with a cane so hotels that have easy access to transportation would be a plus. I contacted the Westin Banyan in Bangkok and was given a rate of $79.00 plus a 21% tax rate. This includes a full buffet breakfeast, fresh fruit basket. I was wondering if this is a good price for Bangkok? Need some info on Bali about the same, where to stay what to see etc,etc. Would like to know about some good deals in what to buy while in these countries. Thinking about going in Dec, like to know how the climate is like in that time frame. Shopping I hear is outstanding, anyone have any input about where to go? I guess I could go on and on, but I think you can understand any info would be appreciated. Looking forward to hearing from all of you world travelers.

Joe

Oct 9th, 1998, 07:22 PM
Dennis & Lois

We are "interliners" as well and have travelled to both Thailand and Bali - there are some great package deals out there. Have you checked out the ASU Travel Guide? One of their package tours is the best bet and can be extended (usually without charge). We stayed at the Indra Regent Hotel in Bangkok and have been to Bali twice - both times on interline packages. (Beware Northwest Airlines standby BKK to LAX we got stuck in Bangkok for three days!) Transportation was never a problem - you just have to step foot outside your hotel to waiting taxi's, bemo's etc. The river taxis in Bangkok may present a bit of a challenge however. As an interliner the rate is a little high but you are staying in a first class hotel. In Bali it depends on what you want and where you want to stay. Do you want peace and quiet? Beach? Nightlife? Bali has it all....Kuta to party, Sanur for quiet, Ubud for culture, Nusa Dua - First class but somewhat sheltered from the "real" Bali...could go on but if you have some specific questions please feel free to e-mail us.

Oct 11th, 1998, 10:53 PM
Glen

Hi There!

I'm a frequent traveller to Bangkok and have been there twice in the past month.
I've stayed the Royal Orchid Sheraton on the riverfront, the Montien Riverside Hotel as the name suggests on the riverfront, the Siam City Hotel and most recently the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza on Silom Road. In terms of luxury you cant beat the Montien Riverside and the Sheraton as a close runer-up. In terms of location the Holiday Inn wins hands down. I was so impressed I stayed there both times in the last month. The hotel has several restaurants and is situated int he heart of the shopping district. There's a department store across the street and a Tops supermarket which is very handy for snacks, drinks etc.. Cross the street and take a taxi to any of the other shopping areas and local tourist attractions and you're unlikely to pay more than 70 Baht. If you've stayed at Holiday Inn in the States don't be put off. HIs in Asia are of a very high standard and being a Crowne Plaza very stylish. The hotel has 2 towers, the Plaza Tower and the more luxurious Crowne Towers. There are many other great hotels in Bangkok with all levels of luxury. The Indra Regent mentioned in someone else's posting is in my opinion a bit of a pit. It even looks grotty! Its well overdue for a renovation and refurbishment inside and out. The Westin Banyan Tree at that price sounds like an unbelievably cheap deal, grab it! Its one of the best hotel chains in Asia.

Shopping in Bangkok is outstanding and there's something for everyone. I really like the World Trade Centre and MBK. As for touristy stuff, do take a rice barge cruise along the Chao Phraya (pronounced jow pria), visit Ayutthya the ancient capital, the Grand Palace and the Emerald Buddha, the floating markets, Vimanmek ( golden teak wood palace), Jim Thompson's House and Suan Pakkard Palace. All of these places have a very strong Thai feel and will show you Thai architecture and culture at its best. Enjoy Thailand, you'll love it. Read up on Thai customs and culture before you go, it is very easy to offend without meaning to. Hope this info helps.

Oct 12th, 1998, 07:00 AM
Ed

For the best hotel prices in Hong Kong got to the web site www.diethelm-travel.com I used them with no problems for both Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I staryed at the Sheraton Royal Orchid for less than $100/night and it was super luxurious.email me if you want to know anything additional. I undrstand that one of the best baragins are custom made mens shirts for about $15.

Oct 13th, 1998, 10:31 AM
PennyWise

My husband and I have just returned from 30 days BKK. We were able to book a condo at JTC, 919 Soi 19 $300. Cnd. The entry (stairs)would pose a challenge. This complex is next door to the Holiday Inn which is a luxy as stated. A more modest Business Class accomodation is available at Silom Golden Inn,fx 238-2667, ph238-2663-6 You are in the heart of the business district & jewellery centre for USD20. per night.The tour bus transports you to all sights or taxis at the door. Always insist on meter...it is much less than negotiated price