Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   hotels in singapore (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hotels-in-singapore-724644/)

charly1 Jul 29th, 2007 08:02 AM

hotels in singapore

a good value in singapore for hotels in august.

JamesA Jul 29th, 2007 08:36 AM

There are just 'so many'. What is your price budget, any particular part of Singapore you want to be in, Allson is a good value for money 3 star tourist hotel near Bugis but that might not suit if you wanted say to be around orchard.

Give us your price range roughly and then add sort of place you want, 3 star/4 star, whether you want large with plenty of facilities or you like boutique places or whatever. Such a large choice.

Sarvowinner Jul 29th, 2007 08:36 AM

Try Royal Plaza on Scotts - it has just been renovated.

It's always a good idea to look at Trip Advisor as the hotels are being continually reviewed by hotel guests.

charly1 Jul 29th, 2007 10:15 AM

thanks for the info....I don't know anything about Singapore...just reading about it now.

Kathie Jul 29th, 2007 10:35 AM

If you give us a price range, we can help. The most important factor will be location: you want one as close to an MRT stop as possible, as that is how you will get around Singapore. It's fast, efficient, inexpensive and air conditioned.

charly1 Jul 29th, 2007 01:11 PM

well that is a good question.....up to 150.00 per night? is that a fair price?

Kathie Jul 29th, 2007 01:36 PM

You should be able to find a good hotel fro that price. Take a look at some of the booking sites, such as www.asiabesthotel.com or www.asiahotels.com and see what you like.

I really like Rafles the Plaza, but it's above your price range. I saw some special prices for Swisshotel Stamford that are about your range including breakfast. The location is ideal, above an MRT and attached to a big shopping center. Browse a bit, then come back and ask about particular properties.

charly1 Jul 29th, 2007 02:20 PM

thanks I will browse and then come back with questions about hotels...

rhkkmk Jul 29th, 2007 08:33 PM

jamesA---you know our likes any suggestions for singapore for us?? thanks... bob....

kaneda Jul 30th, 2007 03:42 AM

From previous visits I have noted that Singapore has poor low end accommodation and very good high end accommodation but nothing really in the middle bracket.

KimJapan Jul 30th, 2007 04:23 AM

The Marriott has a great location right on Orchard MRT and might be in your price range.

The Swissotel Merchant Court is worth a look...rooms are fine but not amazing and could use an update, but pool is great and location is fantastic for eating and sightseeing right in Clarke Quay.

Royal Plaza on Scotts was just remodeled this year and is completely non-smoking. Be careful, though, as lower tier rooms are very small.

If you don't need a pool, the Berjaya is a bit different and in an interesting location.

If you want to go budget, the New 7th Storey is reported to be great, and when I corresponded with them about a possible stay, they were quick to answer and very professional.

Guenmai Jul 30th, 2007 07:13 AM

Yes, the Raffles Plaza is very good, but not inexpensive. I stayed there last summer and it was over $US200. This summer...3 weeks from now...I will be briefly staying at the Fullerton. The location of the Raffles Plaza is excellent...attached to the mall and MRT(subway station).

The problem with Singapore is that there are not a lot of medium-priced hotels. I've been vacationing there almost annually since the 90s and the majority of the time when I'm there I stay at the YMCA International House Hotel at 1 Orchard Rd. It's quite nice for the price of around $US 55.00 a night...breakfast included and there's a pool. I stay there especially when I'm there for a long period of time...especially up to a week and a half... The location of the Y is excellent,too. Directly across the street from the Y is the Rendevous Hotel which my best friend loves and will now only stay there. You can check out the Rendevous which is probably within your price range.
Happy Travels!

JamesA Jul 30th, 2007 07:14 AM

Bob, with your points probably The Marriott would suit you for location but i agree with Kim the Royal Plaza on Scotts is also very good ( I am probably wrong but kim, did that not used to be the Hyatt many mny years back ? ).
With your points Bob the Marriott would certainly be a choice. Shangri La ( Garden Wing ) very nice but you have to take to/from, so I think Marriott and others on orchard or Royal Plaza on Scotts would suit, from Royal Plaza you are very close to the junction with SMRT ( sunway ) and malls and the ochard shopping.
The SMRT is 'the way' to get around and is just 'so easy', must be one of the 'easiest' subway systems anywhere to use.
When did Singapore come up?

Kaneda - I will post another message for you

JamesA Jul 30th, 2007 07:32 AM

Kaneda - I/we are not high spend at all and go for mid range, we noramly thought of something around SGD 120-140 a night for a good nice 3 star, but certainly prices have gone up a lot, the Grand central used to cost me about SGD 80-90, it is now just on 'double that price', although they have gone up a lot is not 'too bad'.
The Allson we have used many times as it's a large 3 star hotel close to Bugis which we like for the mall and also the market and also there are street eateries for noodles and stuff which wre are always after and we can snack cheap, get the SMRT to get around.
We also used the Crowne Prince on Orchard but that has changed name now ( not sure what it is ).
We are looking at September for a few days and in our range it always seems to come back to the Allson, it's large, ok rooms, pool etc

Allson - SGD 139 / USD 96 ( about THB 3,280 ) For the price it is hard to beat.
I tried one of those 'cheap hotels' once, once was enough, never again !

There does seem to be a big gap and true it seems to go from small and cheap and not that good to much higher, but for mid range THB 3,280 I think the Allson ( 4 star ) is tough to beat. You can get boutique places, Royal peacock, Inn on temple Street etc cheaper than Allson but honestly not worth the saving.

rhkkmk Jul 30th, 2007 07:43 AM

thanks all for the info....we will have 3 days in singapore in late may...comfortable, with pool seems perfect to me....may also try priceline, but will look at all that have been mentioned....i know the marriott location, with its little hat on top, but am currently hording points for some wonderful stay someplace new, different and lux....ok i know marriott is not lux, but jw in phuket for a couple of weeks in the condos might work with the family some time....i just won't tell anyone, especially you know who, that we might go to phuket for a couple of weeks...haaha..

Smeagol Jul 30th, 2007 10:41 AM

Bob
The Fullerton has a LOVELY pool and does some great rates on occasions.
x

Guenmai Jul 30th, 2007 07:08 PM

Well, I wish the Fullerton were doing a great rate on my occasion. Smiles. Happy Travels!

Kathie Jul 30th, 2007 07:21 PM

Bob you might also want to consider Swisshotel the Stamford, same location as Raffles the Plaza, but less expensive. It's a round tower, so the rooms are slightly pie-shaped. They have balconies - not for the faint of heart from the higher floors! I stayed there years ago when it was a Westin. It's really a nice property and being above the Raffles CIty shopping center and the MRT makes is very convenient. You only have to walk outide maybe 20 fet to get to the MRT escalator. It's not quite as nice as Raffles the Plaza, but it's not as expensive either!