hotels in Saigon in november

Oct 26th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Original Poster
hotels in Saigon in november

Hey Fodorites! Any suggestions for hotels in Saigon? Price range around $100.00 US. Will be going on business so do need some amenities. The stay will be about 9 days.
Any tips on the lay-out of the city? Places to eat, shop?
Especially, any hints on what to avoid and what to do. Safety issues?
Am traveling with other adult companions, no kids.
Oct 26th, 2003, 10:02 PM
at that price range, i think you should go for the new world hotel, great location..there are about 100000 restaurants so that will not be any problem.saigon is safe, but pocket thefts happens a lot..and beware of the heavy traffic.
must see:
1. war museum
2.former president palace
3.chu-chi tunnels (about 1 hr outside saigon)
5.former us embassy (you can not get in there)
6.walk the back allys, and see how the people live.(i have done it many times, and never had a problem)
7.take a cyclo trip, but make the price first, and get someone how speaks english and can tell you about the city.
8.Shop till you drop, you can bye everything in saigon.
9.have a nice trip
Oct 26th, 2003, 10:44 PM
hi..again..forgot one thing.. district 1 is where most of the tourist hang out, its about 3-4 min walking from the new world hotel.. in that area, you also have kim, and singh cafe, and from them you can bye tours around vietnam, incl chu-chi tunnels..there are not many atm machines in saigon, but at the new world hotel there is one, at hong-kong bank.
Oct 27th, 2003, 07:28 AM
We stayed at the Majestic Hotel last year and were very happy with it. It would be good if you're looking for a historical place to stay. The Mandarin Restaurant in Saigon is excellent - the best meal we had in Vietnam (and we had lots of great food). We ate at another restaurant in Saigon called Lemongrass that was good too.

We used Ann Tours to do a trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels and a day trip to the Mekong Delta. I emailed Tony there and he set everything up for us. I was traveling with 2 others so we had our own minivan with guide and driver. I'd highly recommend them.
Oct 31st, 2003, 12:31 PM
We also stayed at the Majestic-they were renovating rooms so was very noisy during day-they we obliging and moved us to a quieter room still noisy but not so bad. Check out used them to book Majestic and they were great and cheaper than direct booking. Majestic staff were efficient, they organised our air confirmations, it's in a great spot close to river and shopping-taxis cheap and always available. Pizza at Annies Pizza close by is great. Plenty of restaurants within 5 mins walk-check out local markets close to hotel.Ask Concierge for map and info.

Search this Thread