Reload this Page >

what is a "must see" in Hong Kong?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 10:37 AM
fiona

with only 2days/3 nights in HK I need to really plan what I want to see and do so as not to waste any time. what tours/sites do people recommend and any suggestions for restaurants( I'd rather go to somewhere authentic) I'd reaaly appreciate any help!!

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Y

Victoria's Peak...dinner at Deco Cafe...the bus ride to Stanley Market...the night market on Temple Street...riding the Star Ferry both during the day and at night for awesome views of the city

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Jayelle

I had about the same amount of time that you had when I stopped over in Hong Kong a few years ago. I usually pass on organized tours, but decided to use them on this visit to make the best use of my limited time. There are half-day tours that hit most of the must-sees like Victoria Peak, Stanley Market, and the obligatory stop for shopping, in my case at a jewelry factory. I also took a half-day tour that went into the New Territories, although I could have skipped this. As mentioned in the previous post, you'll want to take a ride on the Star Ferry, shop at the night market, and also take a ride on the Peak Tram. I stayed in Tsim Sha Tsui (at the Sheraton), and there was plenty of shopping in this area, day and night. Enjoy!

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 06:22 PM
ndub

If you're looking for one good night out, try Lan Kwai Fong and Holloywood road, for bars, night clubs and restaurants.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 11:59 PM
fiona

thanks to everyone for the info. Looks like I have my time filled!!! Temple street market- are there loads of bargains and what are the best buys? (I've heard to steer away from electricals.)Victorias Peak and the Star Ferry seem to be the most popular trips.Really forward to it!!!

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 12:48 AM
fiona

forgot to ask - I am staying at the Excelsior hotel,like another poster, and would appreciate any info!

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Ursula

Fiona hi! Stayed at the Exelsior some years ago and found it quite convenient. The room was not huge though. Breakfast buffet was amazing. <BR>My suggestions for "musts" among the above are tea in the lobby of the "Peninsula" and watching the sunset from the lobby bar at "Regency". <BR>Hongkong is easy to get around. <BR>Be careful (pickpockets) at Temple Street market, it's very crowded. <BR>Enjoy!

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:51 AM
Fiona

thanks Ursula <BR>I had already been thinking about upgrading the room, so I think I will now!

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 05:45 PM
xxx

There's no need to pay for 1/2 day tours to these places. Hong Kong is easy to do on your own. The subways are easy to use, as is the bus system out to Stanley Market.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Al

We enjoyed walking through the endless array of high-quality stores in the Ocean Terminal Market, near the Star Ferry Kowloon end. Nearby is a huge Friendship Store where we found handcrafts of excellent quality at reasonable prices. Very accommodating salespeople with good command of English.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:32 AM
fiona

thanks to everyone for all your help and advice!

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:17 PM
CoolWiz

Don't miss: <BR> <BR>1. Magnificently renovated in traditional Tang Dynasty architecture, the Chi Lin Nunnery is a must-see . No nails were used in this multi-million dollar renovation, only wooden dowelling and brackets. The 3.2-hectare site, comprising various Buddhist temples, is a living museum of the Tang Dynasty (AD 618-907) (Diamond Hill MTR/Subway station). <BR> <BR>2. the Hong Kong Park An oasis of green amid the urban landscape, Hong Kong Park (Admiralty MTR station via Pacific Place) with an aviary (150 species of birds in a tropical rainforest setting), greenhouse, the Hong Kong Visual Arts Centre, fountains, lily ponds, playgrounds, and a Tea-ware Museum. <BR> <BR>3. Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island is set amid spectacular mountain scenery. the monastery shares Ngong Ping Plateau with the famous Big Buddha, the world's largest, seated, outdoor, bronze Buddha statue. You can walk up the 268 steps to visit the 26-metre-high Budda. <BR> <BR>Cheers

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 10:32 PM
Stone

As a Hongkonger, I would recommend: <BR> <BR>1. Go up to the Peak to see the spectacular view of Victoria Habour. <BR> <BR>2. Tour one of the outlying islands. such as the Lamma Island and Cheung Island. You can spend a tranquil day there -- walking along the beach and tasting delicous seafood. <BR> <BR>3. Go to a Cantonese Teahouse. <BR>

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 03:00 PM
fiona

Managed most of the "must sees" during our stay and have one more to add to the list. The Museum of History in Tsim Sha Tsui if fascinating. We thought we would get round the place in an hour and spent nearly 3 hours there! <BR>among the attractions is a full scale replica of a street from the 19th century.<BR>We certainly came away with a much better understanding of the lives of the citizens of HK over the years and their traditions.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Rohit

Adding on to the intial query: I am reaching BKK at 2 pm and leaving next day at 4 pm...I want to visit the major attractions.How should I plan my stay there? what about cheap accomodations? Youth Hostel / Y / any other place? Any suggestion is welcome

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:14 AM
frank

Rohit<BR>your question is a little confusing. why post about Bangkok when the post is about HK?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 02:47 PM
rohit

Sorry Frank, it was supposed to be HKK instead of BKK.A typing error. My apologies