Hotels in Chiang Mai

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Amy

Hotels in Chiang Mai

Could someone recommend a hotel to stay at in Chiang Mai? Looking for a hotel that has AC is clean and at a reasonable cost (dont want to pay $200 a night), good location in relation to the rest of the city.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Al

We stayed at The Park Hotel last February. It is about a mile from the Night Market on a main street, immaculately clean, good service, excellent dining room. Because we were on a tour, I can't tell you what it cost. Probably they have a web site.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 11:19 AM
lynn

Amy -

We stayed at the Imperial Mae Ping last year for about $40 a night. That included a breakfast buffet which was edible, but not great.

The location is probably a little less than a mile from the night market. You could also check out the Zenith Suriwong. That hotel is across the street from beginning of the night bazaar area. I haven't stayed there so I don't know anything first hand but it's pretty cheap and the location is great.

Good luck.

Lynn

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 11:19 AM
lynn

Amy -

We stayed at the Imperial Mae Ping last year for about $40 a night. That included a breakfast buffet which was edible, but not great.

The location is probably a little less than a mile from the night market. You could also check out the Zenith Suriwong. That hotel is across the street from beginning of the night bazaar area. I haven't stayed there so I don't know anything first hand but it's pretty cheap and the location is great.

Good luck.

Lynn

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Penelope

There is only ONE place to stay in Chiang Mai, in my opinion: the River View Inn. Look through this Fodor site for earlier recommendations and the Web site. P

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Karen

I second the sugestion for the River View Inn. We stayed there Nov. 2000. It is very pretty, inexpensive, good breakfast, and best of locations--blocks from the night market. Very professional--they can arrange drivers and are dependable in their recommendations for day trips. I made reservations over internet, and faxed credit card information after receiving information. I've read warnings about the laxity in security of Thailand's internet services. We had a wonderful time. Food in all of Thailand is wonderful. Chiang Mai's biggest problem is trafic. There are no stop lights, all streets are one way and pedestrians have trouble crossing streets. Other than that it is a great place to visit.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Meg

We also enjoyed River View Ldoge. We made all reservations by fax. I never could find a place to do it on the web. It was also around $40 a night for a river view balcony room. Very comfortable. Great a/c. 10 minute walk to the night market with a great internet cafe on the way. Excellent hot croissants with breakfast each morning - included in the rate. Enjoy Chiang Mai! P. S. We're keeping our travel plans in place for next February.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Kathy

Meg, we have reservations for this winter at Riverview Lodge. Are these accomodations close enough to the airport for a early departure, or would another hotel be much closer to make a difference? Will someone at Riverview take us to the airport?

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Meg

The ride to the airport is less than 20 minutes - even in "rush hour." The hotel arranged for our taxi and just added the fare to our final bill. We had a 10:15 a.m. flight, I think , and the hotel told us we didn't have to leave the hotel until 9 a.m. to give you a rough idea. The airport is small, and it did not take us long to check in and get to our gate.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Daniela

Riverview is the closest thing to thi accomodations, way better than a modern hotel. The garden by the river is wonderous. The owner has a collection of old and expensive cars, and might give you a lift to the aeroport in a Bently or Mercedes. Enjoy, daniela

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 05:05 PM
janine

could you share either the fax or website of this famed river view inn???
thanks...janine

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 05:10 PM
Meg

Janine -
check out the post on River View Lodge - the info you need is in there.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 05:29 AM
ed

Do the rooms at the River View Lodge have private bathrooms (showers and toilets)? Thanks.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Amy

Ed-

Stayed at the Riverview Lodge. They do have private bathrooms (and showers) in each room.

Amy

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Anna

www.riverviewlodgch.com/room.htm

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 06:37 PM
taurus

We were in Chiang Mai last month(November,2001) We stayed at the Amity Green Hills Hotel-it was great - very clean-great buffet breakfast-lunch-or regular menu-lots and lots of food choices-the owners and staff were wonderful-friendly-helpful-they were incredible. We were in Thailand for 22 days-(we went to Hong Kong first)-they have free shuttle service to the night bazaar.They offer internet service,beauty salon(pedicure is $6.00 US money)about $13.00 US for a two hour Thai massage(you have not lived until you have a Thai message)rooms are big web site www.siamstar.com/green hills-e-mail [email protected]-Sorry I don't know the cost we were on a tour-but I think they are very reasonable-you will not be sorry if you go there-I just can't say enought about the service and the staff. Wondeful location-we never saw the River View so I cannot comment on it-

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 01:02 AM
Ed

Thanks, Amy!