Hotels in Beijing and Xian

Jun 27th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in Beijing and Xian

I need advice on how to get a hotel in Beijing and Xian at the end of December. I've read various topics on these forums discussing waiting until you get to a city to get a hotel so that you can bargain down the price.

That's lovely in theory, but I'm nervous about that idea and my parents are iffy enough about this trip (I may be 25 but they're still my parents and I try to limit their worries when I can), I'd rather have a place lined up ahead of time. Is there a way to get a good price online ahead of time, or is it pretty much just suck it up and pay the higher price?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for places to stay in either city? It's just me and I'm looking for something about Super 8 - Comfort Inn level. Nicer is fine if it's cheap, but I'm pretty easy to please.

Thanks for any help!
Jun 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM

There are Super 8s (after a fashion) in Beijing (and a Comfort Inn but it's at a higher level and overpriced), and there's a whole class of basic business hotel with fixed non-negotiable rates (called 'jingji' or economy hotels) you could consider (and specific examples could be recommended). But if you're determined to book in advance then I'd suggest the Ibis at San Yuan Qiao. This is identical to the Ibises across Europe--your basic facilities, pale wood fittings, glass-walled shower (no bath), 24-hour coffeeshop/restaurant, and run by the French Accor chain. It's priced to compete with the 'jingji' hotels. It's on the Northeast Third Ring Road, you can get to it directly by the Airport Express line from the airport (so no fuss with taxis)--San Yuan Qiao station. San Yuan Qiao is also on the metro system, which is the single most important factor for getting round the city swiftly and conveniently.

http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-62...an/index.shtml

About US$40 per night, but no need whatsoever to book until just before you leave. Chances are the price will be a bit lower then. If you decide on arrival you want something a step up, then there's the Novotel San Yuan Qiao, same group, right by the metro station, one star up.

Peter N-H
Jun 29th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Peter!

I probably do need to book in advance. I'd likely be willing to give it a whirl after the first night but my parents are iffy enough about me going to China on my own as it is. I can easily compromise on that issue and make them a bit more comfortable.
Jul 7th, 2010, 05:46 AM

Hi,

I was just in Xian two months ago and stayed at the Citadines Xian Central. It's just around the corner from the airport bus drop-off point. Google Map the address and you'll see.

I booked a double room on one of the big travel web sites a couple of days before we got into Xian. It was around $75/night if I recall. I imagine a single would be much less.

Here's the site for the Citadines:
http://www2.citadines.com/en/china/xian/central.html

No doubt you'll be going to the Terracotta Warriors museum. I just posted about my experience there on my blog. Take a look if you're interested!

http://www.thejadedtourist.com/2010/...eat-sheet.html

Kathy
Jul 7th, 2010, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathy!