Hotels-I'm So Confused;-)??

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels-I'm So Confused;-)??

I am planning a trip to BKK in May for 3-4 days. The three hotels I am looking at are Plaza Athenee, Royal Orchard Sheraton or the Sofitel Silom. When I read reviews of the hotels on various sites several people say some very negative things about each of them. However, my confusion is when I look at the pictures and read the descriptions they all sound terrific. I would love to hear from people who know these hotels and can give me the pros and cons - amenities, condition, location etc.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 04:25 AM

You don't mention the two hotels I stayed in Bangkok, the Peninsula and the Marriot Bangkok Resort and Spa.
You won't find a negative review on the Marriot, for sure. And don't listen to people that say they are on the wrong side of the river! They couldn't be in a bettter location, away from all the buzz and awful traffic but you will be there in 10 minutes crossing to the other side in the hotels boats and in the skytrain.
I highly recommend the Marriot over the Peninsula!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Tere,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have heard good things about the Marriott. However, the tour operator I am using, Asian Affair Holidays, does not have the Marriott in their program and I am also trying to stay in a certain price range because I am also going to KL and staying at the Mandarin there. Let me not forget, I need some shopping money;-).
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:32 AM

I have not stayed at any of your choices, but I have been inside the Plaza and the Sheraton. I would prefer the Plaza of those two.

That said, it depends on the location you desire. If you are visiting BKK for the first time, then you might want to stay on the river. It is very popular with tourists to do this. The Marriott, Peninsula, Royal Orchid Sheraton and Oriental (to name a few) are on the river. Or there is a brand new Millineum Hilton that should be open or opening very soon.

If you are there to shop and wander the neighborhoods around Sukhumvit, then the Plaza would be a better choice. There are a number of great hotels "in the city" besides the Plaza. The Four Seasons, Hyatt, Intercontinental, to name just a few, and all are lovely.

Bangkok is full of fabulous hotels, and for bargain prices when compared to other cities around the world.

Carol
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM

It all depends on what you want to do. Many tourist stay on the river. That's where the Royal Orchid Sheraton is. I've stayed at the Royal Orchid Sheraton, but it's not for me...there's nothing really dramatically bad about it, it's just that there are so many great hotels in Bangkok to choose from that I'd pick other hotels to stay in. Now, I know that Kathie loves it and stays in the Towers portion of it, but if you're in a standard room, well, there are other places I'd pick over the Royal Orchid Sheraton. My standard room was quite plain compared to other hotels I've stayed in in Bangkok. But, if you want to stay on the river, then stay there. Plus, the River City Shopping Center is connected to it by an inside bridge. That shopping center is basically an antiques shopping center. Now, if you want tons of shopping then don't stay there, but as Carole said...there's the Four Seasons...my all time favorite... and the Grand Hyatt Erawan(sp?)...which is next to the Four Seasons. This part of town, to me, is very interesting with lots to do...and on foot. It's in the hub of things and a quick walk to the skytrain. As for the Plaza Athenee, I haven't stayed there, but did stay at the Chateau de Bangkok-Sofitel...which is across from it, and that's not an exciting area although the skytrain is about 300 meters away and about 3 stops from the shopping and center(Siam Station) of town. As for Sofitel Silom, I don't know it, but I know the Silom area which is a downtown business kind of area. I personally am not into the Silom area. Are you on an organized tour? I don't understand why you don't just go independently and pick whatever hotel you want to stay in. It's very easy to do Bangkok independently.Plus, as far as I'm concerend, Bangkok has the best hotels in the world and at a very affordable rate...for example...I was just checking out the price of the Four Seasons in Paris, as I go to Paris annually, and it's now over $800. a night for a standard...not that I've ever stayed there.I was just curious. Two years ago, it was $600. Well, the Four Seasins, Bangkok, can be had for as little as $138/$158 including breakfast buffet if they are having the Bed/Breakfast special. Or usually $175. for a standard without the special or buffet breakfast, but the breakfast is only an extra $15.00...and well worth it. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:42 AM

As Guenmai noted, I always stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton, but always in the Towers which includes breakfast, evening cancapes and cocktails and free laundry in your room price, as well as a room on the top few floors and enhanced services. Ask if your tour operator can get you a Towers room. The location is great. All room have a full river view.

In my experience, there is no hotel that has no negative reviews. In part, that has to do with the fact that we all like slightly different things. In part it has to do with the fact that no hotel has perfect service all the time. What might be a small matter to me, might "ruin" the vacation of someone else.

An example, Tere says that no one ever has anything bad to say about the Marriott Resort and Spa. While it is the favorite of many people on this forum, someone posted here last year how much they disliked being so far away from everything, how the boat ride added a half and hour total to each trip, how there was nothing near the hotel, and that the rooms were dull. Others, of course, feel the boat ride is the perfect way to start and end any journey into the city. So read reviews with a grain of salt.

By the way, I don't know if there is a particular reason you are using a tour company, but you'll have more flexibility and pay much less if you make your own arrangements.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

I am using a tour company only because it is my first time in the region. Also, I am also travelling to two cities (BKK and KL)and having all the logistics done gives me some piece of mind. But, it is an independent tour. Meaning no organized events other than an optional half day sightseeing tour. But I seem to be leaning toward the Plaza. I appreciate your insight in to the locations. The Sofitel location doesn't sound like something I am into. The things I want to do is sightseeing and a little shopping and some spa time. So being in an area that provides me easy access to sightseeing, good restaurants and the Skytrain. Also, I am going alone, so I do have total freedom.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:31 AM

there is no comparison with these 3 hotels....PL is far superior to the other two and sheraton is probably one small step above the sofitel...

the river location is a plus in my opinion....but it is not essentail...its an exterior type thing....i do not find it as accessible as others--the sheraton that is.....it is ok but it could really be anyplace in the world...

on a tour package you would be in a basic room also;....

the plaza is the newest of the bunch and thus imo superior for that reason and for its higher star level....its location is fabulous and central as well...corner of sukhumvit/plenochit and wireless essentially....skytrain quite close and tons of shopping and restaurants...
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:57 AM

I agree that there's no hotel that has no negative reviews. Although the Pen gets high reviews, I personally didn't like it, so if I were to review it, I would give it some negatives along with a few pluses. So, pick the hotel according to what you need/want to do. As for location, yes, the Plaza Athenee is good for skytraining around into more central areas like the Chitlom stop(one stop away) and Siam stop-the main station...two stops away...or you can walk between Chitlom and Siam since the sky bridge is open connecting the two. So, you'd only need to go one stop to Chitlom and then all of the malls are right there. Plus at Chitlom, go into the Amarin Mall...one of my favorites. There are lots of Thai stores selling fabric/ready made clothes...like the store Mudmee in that mall.There are two Mudmee stores in that mall. There's also a branch of Narya Phand craft store in there. The main store is directly across from the Central World Plaza shopping center on Rajadamri Rd...the side street to Gaysorn Shopping Center...walking distance from Chitlom. The Plaza Athenee is near the Ploenchit skytrain stop. The river is further away and more skytrain stops and since you only have 3-4 days, I would stay more central so that you have fewer skytrain stops. You can always visit the river area or go to the Royal Orchid Sheraton for lunch. I've eaten there quite a bit since I shop at River City Shopping Center. Their restaurant has a river view...so drop in for a cold drink and a bite to eat after shopping next door. Hope this has helped. Oh, if you're at Chitlom and tired and need a real relaxing place to get a drink or a light bite to eat, then go to the Erawan Tearoom which is right above the Erawan shrine right at the corner of Rajadamri Rd. and ?...can't remember the main street, but it's directly across the main street from the Gaysorn Mall and in the same building where the flagstore Burberry store is so it's impossible to miss. It's very quiet and relaxing in the tearoom and you'll have a view of all of the business outside.I ended up staying in the tearoom for over an hour. The chairs were so comfortable and it was so peaceful. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Baltorep, I stayed at the Mandarin in KL last year and loved it. I think you can't choose a better place to stay in in Kuala Lumpur. Great location and fabulous hotel and service!
Guenmai, I agree with you with the Peninsula. Many rave about it but I just liked it. Their service was the worst I found in Thailand. I have also read some bad reviews about the Peninsula but until now I haven't read anything bad about the Marriot. That's why I said that.I understand somewhere in the net might be a not so good review on the Marriot, but I never saw one.
I still think it's the best value and service in Bangkok and , having read most of what's said here and in other forums,Tripadvisor, etc, people love it.