hotels for family with kids in Japan

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are spending 6 days in Japan this July. Would like to spend 3 days in Tokyo and 3 days in Kyoto area. We have a family of 5 people. (3 kids of 11, 13 and 15 years old). It seems hard to find a hotel to accommodate familys with kids in Japan. Can anyone suggest any hotels that offer rooms or suites for family or any reasonably priced hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto area so that we can book 2 rooms instead. Any suugestions are welcome. We would consider either western or Japanese styles. Thanks
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:15 PM

What does reasonably priced mean to you?
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 08:18 PM

Japanese hotels/ryokan give a small discount for children of elementary school age (through grade 6/age 12) and sometimes a very small one for junior high school aged kids. But, in all likelihood, your 13 and 15 year old will be considered adults in the world of hotels/ryokans unless you get a very special deal indeed. Your 11 year old should be OK as a "child." All that means is that 2 rooms will generally be required.

You might consider a furnished apartment or a budget hotel. You might also e-mail directly to some bigger name hotels and see what they can do for you, as your situation will not be able to be simply booked online I don't think.

What do you consider reasonably priced and what kind of place are you looking for?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM

try ryocan towa in kyoto http://www.kyotowa.jp/english/index.html , and the Asia Center hotel in Tokyo http://www.asiacenter.or.jp/ ...good location.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:21 PM

Hi sunnyc - I have the same dilemma. I am going to continue to research this (I really don't want to spend this much), but in the meantime, I have booked the following for our family of 4:

Mansions At Azabu Towers in Tokyo for $333 per night for a 3 bedroom apartment (holds 4 people I think, not sure about 5).

Hotel Granvia in Kyoto for $338 per night for 2 twin bed rooms (next door to each other, but not connected). Their web site has a 50% off rate on a Superior room, if you stay for 3 nights.

Good luck. If you find anything more promising, will you post back and let me know? Thanks.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Í would consider $110-130 range as a reasonable price. However, I really don't if that is available. If I find anything at that range, I will post it here.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:58 PM

For one room for two people? $130.00 is certainly possible. For 5 people...maybe not so easy.

July is not a busy travel season for tourists because of the rain/heat. You might try for someplace nice with a pool for the kids...Hilton Tokyo Bay has a really cool beach pool - location is adjacent yo Disney which may or may not suit you. They do have family rooms - to book phone them directly in Japan, they speak English.

There are chains of business class hotels that are very inexpensive...small rooms but generally clean, skip their breakfast and go to Starbucks. Try Tokyu, APA, Toyoko, Washington...and know that their rates are usually MUCH cheaper in Japanese on their Japanese language website bookings. Rooms at this type of place are around 7000 yen per night per room for 2 people tax/service included usually no breakfast (and don't pay the extra for it).

http://www.itcj.or.jp/en/index.html might also give you some ideas.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:45 PM
emd

In Kyoto, check the Tour Club. They have modern japanese style rooms that sleep 5 , tV, free internet on lobby computer, and friendly owner and atmosphere for 13545 yen per nite. I have always thought this place looks like a great value, and the reviews are excellent, including a good review by fdken on this site.

http://www.kyotojp.com/index.html

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Try the Palace Hotel Tokyo. Our family of 4 (2 adult & 2 kids age 8 & 10) will be staying there in April. I called the hotel and they said kids were OK to stay in the room. Their rooms are large by Japan standard. In Kyoto, we are going to stay in Hotel Granvia Kyoto. I looked at Brighton Hotel which has bigger rooms but a bit far from public transportation. Both hotel were fine with kids in the room.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:27 PM

The thing about sunnyc's kids are their ages...the older 2 aren't "kids" anymore, but adults in the eyes of most hotels. Elementary school aged kids can usually stay in the same room as the parents, with an extra bed charge (if a bed is needed). Japanese kids are accustomed to sleeping together with parents...but 11, 13, 15 year olds would need their own beds I would think...hence the 2 rooms or family room.