Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hotel Tugu Bali (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hotel-tugu-bali-525448/)

Chicago_Man Apr 29th, 2005 07:56 PM

Hotel Tugu Bali

Ok....I've finally gotten a travel agent to help me sort this all out. I think I will spend two nights in Hotel Tugu Bali upon arrival and go from there to Ubud and then to Amankila. I just want to make sure that I'm not overpaying through the Travel Agent. Has anyone stayed at Tugu and if so, how much (if any) would you expect them to discount their rate beyond what is online during high season. The rate I see for the Puri Le Mayeur is $550. Any other comments on Tugu would be great too...especially on my choice of villas.

Thanks

rhkkmk Apr 29th, 2005 08:15 PM

craig has stayed there and he will answer you...

Craig Apr 30th, 2005 01:58 AM

We did not stay in the Puri Le Mayeur but the staff did show us the space as it was not occupied when we were there - you will not be disappointed - it is the nicest at Tugu. $550 is the standard rate - goes up to $580 on July 15 for high summer season. You could probably get a 15% discount but not through your US travel agent. Since its only 2 days and Amankila and FS don't discount, I wouldn't bother going elsewhere. I believe Tugu offers complimentary transport from the airport.

Chicago_Man Apr 30th, 2005 08:57 AM

Thanks Craig. I think I'm going to go for the the Puri Le Mayeur (if available) and Amankila. I'm starting to waiver a bit on the FS Sayan for my time in Ubud. I've heard a few negative things from two people who visited recently. Still not sure where I'll stay in Ubud.

marmot Apr 30th, 2005 05:24 PM

Chicago Man, $550 in Bali in July is a lot of money! I've not stayed at the Tugu in Bali (I've stayed many times at the Tugu in East Java), but I spend a fair amount of time there as the area is popular with expats who have villas in Canggu.

The owner is a well known Indonesian character who has an extensive art collection. He's personalized the resort in a quirky way which is a good thing. I guess what doesn't appeal to me is that it's a bit dark, moldy and over decorated in the old Indonesian style and the beach is scruffy. The owner is also Javanese not Balinese which again is not a bad thing but it changes the ambience. I'm sure you'll be well taken care of.

I think you should keep Ubud on your itinerary, as it's good to have a balance to the beach. I don't stay at the FS Sayan because it's too overwhelming for me, but I've never heard a negative about it. The Ayung River Gorge is one of God's most profoundly beautiful areas. Other places on the same gorge (same view) are the Begawan, Alila, Kayumanis. More are being built everyday.

The comment about unfriendly staff is possible. What a lot of people don't understand about Bali is the cultural conflict between the Balinese and Javanese. Because these big resorts have a hard time finding management level Balinese (and because of all the new properites there's a lot of poaching) they often import managers from Java which can cause friction. The Javanese are just a friendly as the Balinese, but they are different and don't particularly get along.

JonT Jun 27th, 2005 01:03 AM

Hi Chicago Man: I'm planning a trip to Bali from 29 Sep to 2 Oct and was looking at Tugu Bali as the choice of accommodation. Managed to get the layout of the Dedari suite and realised that it is not a big space for the rates charged. I was wondering if you have completed your trip and what your experience was like.

Hi Craig: The attraction of Tugu lies in the fact that you can have a meal anywhere in the hotel premise and the beach plus the overall atmosphere. However, I was wondering if places like The Ahimsa Estate, Alu Bali Villa, The Villa or perhaps The Legian would have been better value for money. I know the latter choices are perhaps not so balinese in design. Would love to hear your comments.

BTW, I'm sourcing for an intimate accommodation at a budget of up to US$250 per night with at least the breakfast thrown in.

Thank you in advance for your responses :)

Craig Jun 27th, 2005 02:20 AM

JonT - although I am not familiar with the other properties you mention, we felt we got good value for the money spent. We stayed in a Dedari Suite which was a large space but certainly not a suite. The plunge pool was a good size - I do not think you will find a room with a plunge pool at anything less than what you would pay at the Tugu.