Hotel Suggestions in Bangkok.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to Bangkok at the end of October. I'll be going with a tour group. We will be staying at the Sofitel Central Plaza in Bangkok and the Montien Riverside Hotel in Pattaya.
I have briefly read posts about the Marriott Resort & Spa in Bangkok and it looks lovely. Now I wish I could be staying there. Has anyone stayed at the hotels I'll be at? Thumbs up or down?

Thank you!
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM

first, if you have not done so you should read about pattaya...its not one of the nicer palces in thailand...it is a hub for the sex trade business, but you can stay clear of that....its just a bit of a sleezy place...just over the hill in jontien it is far nicer....i have looked the place up and its location is ok, near the beach road....the beach there however is maybe not the cleanest....you will be happy there i think...i am sure their pool is nice...

now for bkk....that sofitel is way out of town...about 1/2 way to the airport....it is often used as a stop over place for people in transit at the airport and it is located near to a major convention center....i do not think it is where a tourist would want to stay for bkk...

i hope the price you are paying is very cheap as neither of these locations or properties is the best and the sofitel, while a decent hotel is in a terrible location, imo....i would not go...i would shop for something else...

sorry to be so blunt, but this is my opinion and you asked us for honest opinions...

so the best i can do is a thumbs sideways....
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 05:47 PM

btw, the airport i refer to above is slated to close at the end of september, so i am guessing this hotel is giving the rooms away as the new airport is no wheres near....

probably your tour will occupy most of your time and the bus will pick you up each day so maybe it really does not matter that you are way out of the city...but if you have any free time, it will be far more difficult from there...
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies! Hopefully, we can book another hotel that is more central and more tourist friendly.

Old Aug 26th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Can you cancel the tour group? It sounds like no matter what you are paying, this is not a good deal. Bad hotel locations and Pattaya as one of your stops. You can do it cheaper and better on your own.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 09:12 PM

The Sofitel Central Plaza while not being in an area where most tourist stay is not that bad a location. It is a short walk to the subway station and two stops away from the Chatuchak Weekend Market. From the subway you can get to the skytrain at either Sukhumvit or Silom and hence to the river ferries. A very good shopping mall is close to the hotel-Central Plaza. The hotel will not be that affected by the airport closing as it is near a fast growing area. And it is really a nice hotel.
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 09:31 AM

scooters---i agree but it is way out of town....
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 06:34 PM

The Peninsula and the Shangri-La are very good bets for a fraction of the price you would pay in the States. Very luxurious and wonderful service!