Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotel reservations for Chiang Mai 11/9-11-16?

Oct 9th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

So Sioux and I will have a free week mid-November to rent a car and tour around doing bird/ nature watching in NW Thailand. We like out of the way places and prefer "serendipity touring" where we don't have a rigid schedule. (Translation: I'm too busy/overwhelmed right now to focus on our trip!)

Instead, I'd like to decide each day where we want to spend the next night and make reservations then. Is this possible/practical for mid-November? Budget is not a problem and we're healthy early 60's. We want to spend time in Doi Inthanon and otherwise everything is open.

Also if any birders and/or scenery lovers want to make any suggestions I would be super appreciative! I am happy to hire birding or nature guides.

Thanks,
Steve
Oct 10th, 2015, 06:32 AM

CM is a big sprawling city, not a quiet enclave.. but it would work for touring central.

november is a busy time in thailand... a major holiday, loy krathang, is also in november and is very busy with thai tourists..
Oct 10th, 2015, 08:42 AM

You might want to do enough research that you know of a couple of places you'd like to stay. Given your interests, you probably don't want to stay in CM, so choose a place outside of CM for your first night. Look at some of the well-known spots in Northern Thailand, such as the well-regarded Fern Resort in Mae Hong Son. Having a couple of places like this will help you structure your trip.
Oct 10th, 2015, 08:43 AM

BTW, take a look at www.sawasdee.com for booking places to stay. It's a local Thai booking site. Even if you don't book through them, the website can help you find places you might be interested in staying.
Oct 10th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, folks. I should have mentioned we want to tour Chiang Mai province. We'll have a week in the city before hand and are staying at the Le Meridien. Hopefully I can get oriented while staying there.

I'll check out the Fern Resort. Anyone else have ideas on beautiful nature watching areas/hotels and especially BIRDS?
Oct 11th, 2015, 01:05 AM

From Chiang Mai I would consider driving the "Mai Hong Sorn loop" which would take in Pai, MHS ( inc. Fern Resort - great for bird life) Mai Sariang, a great riverside town and, on the return, doi inthanon NP, great for bird life and waterfalls.

Sopping river inn is also a gray place to stay on the loop, again good bird life and caves and markets.

You could also include a diversion to Chiang Dao. Chiang Dao nest 1 & 2 are the best places to stay in that locale.

This is a useful guide for the route http://www.budget.co.th/images/world...ss_mae_eng.pdf