Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendation - Hua Hin or Phuket

Feb 5th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi there,

I would really appreciate some hotel recommendations for a trip we are planning to Thailand in Dec 08/Jan 09.

I would like to go to either Hua Hin or Phuket so it is a single flight from Sydney, and I think those are best weather-wise for that time of the year anyway.

My requirements for a hotel are:

1. I am coming with 2 kids (6 months old and 3 years old) so good pools and other facilities are a must as we will be spending a lot of time in the hotel. I think that means we would prefer one of the bigger hotels to a boutique place.
- I don't want to be in a hotel which is too isolated from external restaurants, because we would like to eat in non-hotel places some nights for variety etc and to keep costs down. I don't mind a bit of a walk to "civilisation" but I don't want to be a 30 min drive away from any restaurants.
- I would like somewhere with a decent beach close by.

Thats about it. Regarding budget, i don't mind paying for a 4 or 5 star hotel if it is a great place which we will be comfortable in.

Thanks in advance
Rachel

Feb 5th, 2008, 10:14 PM

If you are after the perfect hotel on the perfect beach with good local infrastructure at your doorstep with more just around the corner,then I would find it hard to look past either The Boathouse at Kata Beach or the Kata Thani on Kata Noi beach. THe Kata THani is much larger with a wide range of restaraunts and activities. You will not be dissapointed with either place and they are both right on the best beach in Phuket IMO.
Feb 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM

In Hua Hin, the Sofitel is the most centrally located, and quite beautiful. However, I think the Marriott might be a little more kid-friendly, and it's very close to outside restaurants (there's a large 'mall' just across the street).
Feb 6th, 2008, 08:26 AM

the hyatt at hua hin might work for you....one real benefit is that the hotel food is amongst the most reasonable i have found anywhere....the place is kid friendly also...the local restaurants are easy to get to via tuk tuk...just walk to the end of the road to get a tuk tuk....the hotel is just south of town....maybe a 5 minute ride....

marriott is quite compact...has a nice kids club and nice pool area for kids as i remember...and the mall with tons of food places is directly across the street...
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM

I'd also suggest the Hyatt at Hua Hin. It's a beautiful property. It also has a kids program, so you can get some time to yourself.
Feb 6th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Hi Rachel,
not regarding the fact that I was living 10 years in Hua Hin and stay now just 15 miles outside, my vote would be for Phuket.
If I read it right, there is even a direct flight Sydney-Phuket (JetStar). And there are plenty with change in Singapore.
Flying time 1 hour or more less and no need for the 2 1/2 hours transfer by taxi from Bangkok to Hua Hin.
More places to go on Phuket, better beaches and much more choice regarding hotels. Its difficult to give an advice for a special beach or hotel there. What about checking your Fodor or as a Downunder Lonely Planet?
Anyway, some words about my >homeplace< Hua Hin. The Hyatt might be nice, but it is far away (approx. 2-2 1/2 miles) from downtown. Good hotels right in the middle of everything are Hilton and Sofitel. Both have big pools and are at the waterfront. Practically no beach outside Hilton, fair one outside Sofitel.
For small kids I would also consider Marriott the better choice. Also right at the beach and they take care of the little ones.
Location about halfway between downtown and Hyatt.
The often mentioned new mall is no place where you can get real Thai food (except snacks). Just in case you like Burgerking, Sizzlers, KFC, Pizza Company, Chinese noodles, Japanese food or ice-cream (3 US chains) you will be right.
Feb 6th, 2008, 01:24 PM

I say, forget Hua Hin. There is no beach worthy of the name here. Probably why so many Fodors 'experts' talk about Thai beaches being 'just like a beach anywhere in the world'. Make your way down to Phuket or maybe Krabi or some other island in the Andaman. This is where you will find some real paradise Thai beaches.
Krabi is easily reached from Phuket....but maybe you could fly to Krabi instead of Phuket.

Either way, after umpteen years of visiting Thai beaches, I have to say ...avoid Hua Hin, if you are looking for good beach time!!
Feb 6th, 2008, 02:48 PM

I have stayed at, and would second the suggestion of the Kata Thani on Phuket, Kata Noi Beach. It has at least three large pools, poolside bars, lots of lounge chairs, nice beach, several restaurants on-site, and all the activity you want is quite close by.

I've also stayed at the Boathouse, which is on Kata Beach. I like the Kata Thani better, although the restaurant at the Boathouse is one of the best on Phuket!
Feb 6th, 2008, 03:37 PM

I'd second the recommendations of everyone else so far, and add Marina Phuket on Phuket. We wanted to stay there last January, but it was booked. Looks gorgeous! And very well reviewed.
Temple
Feb 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your helpful suggestions. I think after considering everyone's comments, Phuket does seems like the better option.

Kata Thani looks like a very nice resort.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any opinions about the Le Meridian?

Thanks,
Rachel
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM

Le Meridien Beach resort (note there are two Meridiens in Phuket) is very nice. The pool is wonderful and the beach secluded. However, it is not near very much commerce. To get to Patong or Karon beaches, one must take a taxi. You can get them cheap and it's only about 10-15 minutes. we really liked it and have stayed there twice.
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Someone told me (and this could be wrong) that there were about 6 local restaurants on the beach within an 8 min walk from the le meridian, and that khao lak town was only a 5 min tuk tuk drive away.

Is this not the case??

Cheers
Rachel
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM

You are referring to the Le Meridien in Khao Lak, which is about an hour north of Phuket airport. Khao Lak is a great area. We enjoyed the beach there especially when we were there in January 2006.