hotel near new delhi airport?

Dec 4th, 2006, 09:30 PM
cinematic

hotel near new delhi airport?

hello,
i was wondering whether anyone has suggestions for a hotel close by the new delhi airport. i arrive at 10p and fly out again to northern west bengal in the morning, so want to be closeby. i got a recommendation froma friend, but would welcome other suggestions. need not be high-end (though i'll deserve it after a non-stop coach flight from new york!) or low end. mid-range, cleanliness and convenience rate big. thanks!

Dec 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM

Remember that you will arrive from the US into the INTERNATIONAL airport, but your flight the next day to West Bengal will be out of the DOMESTIC airport. They are only a few miles apart, so any of the hotels I list below would be OK to get to and from either, but donít go back to the airport where you landed. You want to stay in the suburb of Gurgoan or along National Highway 8, even though two of the hotels below list themselves as being in ďNew DelhiĒ they are technically in suburbs.

Trident Hilton Gurgaon
443 Udyog Vihar
Phase V, Gurgaon
Tel: +91-124-245 0505
Fax: +91-124-245 0606
http://www.trident-hilton.com/home

This is a very very nice 5 star hotel that is very beautiful but expensive but worth it IMO if you want to splurge. This is probably the farthest from the airport of any of them, but still fine IMO.

Radisson Hotel Delhi
NATIONAL HIGHWAY 8
NEW DELHI, 110037
Telephone: +91-11-26779191 Fax: +91-11-26785143
http://www.radisson.com/
E-mail: [email protected]

Nice hotel, close to the international airport (about a mile). Good casual kebab restaurant.

The Grand New Delhi
Vasant kunj - Phase II, Nelson Mandela Road
New Delhi 110 070, India
Tel: 91-11- 2677 1234
Fax: 91- 11- 2670 5891
http://www.thegrandnewdelhi.com/

This was a Hyatt until about 18 months ago, and is less than 4 miles from the International airport, I have not been inside, but it was built within the last 2-3 years and IMO would be fine for a last night. (There is also a Grand Hotel Intercontinental in Connaught Circus in downtown New Delhi, so don't confuse the two.)

For hotels generally in India, a very useful website is at http://sawdays.co.uk/, click on the book for India. You can also buy the book, but the website will give you a very long list of hotels to start with. The vast majority of these hotels are not in the luxury range and some are in the budget range, but all look interesting and several, like the Imperial in Delhi, are outstanding. A good source to start. The best Indian hotel operator IMO is oberoi (www.oberoihotels.com, they run the Trident Hilton), also try neemranahotels.com as they run interesting hotels, and tajhotels.com which is another good Indian operator.

Dec 5th, 2006, 05:39 AM
cinematic

thanks, cicerone. enormously helpful.
btw, i've distilled a rough itinerary for my entire trip and would be grateful for your input and suggestions, especially for determining what to cut as possibly logistically infeasible. i'll start a new thread, as even i am getting sick of reading through all my drivel under my other itinerary-help thread. thanks again.

Dec 5th, 2006, 05:56 AM
cinematic

cicerone,
i checked the rates for these hotels and they are...well...gulp...expensive! is that because of their proximity to the airport? i'd need something cheaper, especially inasmuch as i essentially need only a shower and some sleep and won't be able to avail myself of all the extra amenities.
a friend stayed at and recommended the following:
http://www.ashokcountryresort.com/tariff.htm

do you know it?

thanks.

Dec 5th, 2006, 01:43 PM

yeah. All I can say is fuhgeddaboutit!
Dec 5th, 2006, 05:44 PM

The hotels are expensive because they are 4 star and because India is absolutely booming in terms of business and also some increased tourism (but mostly but business people). I am surprised that the Grand is as expensive as say the Hilton. You should see what crummy places in Bangalore are getting. Have you tried the Sawday sight? I donít know the Ashok, I believe it is one of the chain of former government-owned and run hotels that were generally 3 star and were a bit run down when they were sold off by the government a few years ago. I see itís near the Centaur which I know is quite close to the intíl airport, so the location looks good. It includes an airport transfer which is a plus when you arrive bleary eyed from the long flight. The purchaser may have redone it a bit, but even if not for one night in my experience you can pretty much live with anything. However, Dr Ralph above seems to have a different view....
Dec 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
cinematic

thanks yet again cicerone. dr. ralph, what's the basis for your "fuhggetaboutit"? when were you last there. my friends were there in september and found it a welcoming asis after their long haul from NYC.

gracious thanks to you both.

Search this Thread