Notices

Hotel near Bumrungrad Hospital

Old Mar 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Mo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel near Bumrungrad Hospital

I have several appointments at Bumrungrad hospital if I don't stay at their Suites do you suggest that I stay at a hotel near by or stay at a hotel in another area? Is that a nice area? Of course I want to do the standard tourist sights. Thank you.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM

There are lots of hotels in the general area of Bumrungrad so lots to choose from. I think it really depends on how many and how long your appointments are likely to be and if you are going to feel well.

I use the hospital for the dentist so usually don't have any problems of feeling unwell and the appointments are not too long. Therefore I don't worry about staying too close by. I often stay at Centrepoint Langsuan as I like apartments - thats within walking distance (reasonable way) but I've also stayed down on the river many times and gone up to the hospital. I prefer to be close to the skytrain and then its easy just to walk up to the hospital from the station (Nana is closest/easiest from memory). One time I stayed in Pratunam and had to take a taxi for an 8.30 appointment - that was tricky with the traffic so I'd take that into consideration when you plan.

The area close by to the hospital is okay but not one for tourist sights. Its on the edge of a bar area to one side and the expressway to the other. Just the couple of blocks around there are not inspiring. It would be nicer to stay further towards Chitlom or Siam (for shopping etc) or down on the river for general ambience I think. You could also go a bit further down Sukhumvit to the hotels there - like Landmark, Sheraton Grande etc. There are a lot and the Landmark for instance is just at Nana station so still walking distance. Never stayed there though. However if you have a lot of appointments then staying at the suites would be good. Its easy enough to get around from there and I recall they have fairly good prices.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:14 PM

The JW Marriott is right across Sukhumvit from the street leading to Bamrungrad (the back entrance). But you can stay anywhere and get there easily enough on the skytrain, although you will probably want to take a motorcycle or tuk-tuk from Sukhumvit to the hospital (I suspect the hospital has its own free shuttle, but I've never seen it).
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Have you ever been to bangkok? If not, it's wonderful to stay on the river. You can take the skytrain to the hospital. It's a bit of a trek, but the river is delightful. If not the river, there are a number of good hotels on or near Sukhumvit a bit farther out than the hospital.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:13 PM

ambassador hotel is an older hotel in the area .....the grand president is a favorite of some fodorites.....but the hospital hotel is quite good we are told...

majestic grande is just in back of the marriott...
westin and sheraton grande are nearby also

ascott serviced apartments are not far as is the new marriott courtyard

several more sleezy places along soi 4, sukhumvit like the nana and ragah

swiss lodge or some such name is a nice place on soi 4
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:44 PM

The rooms at the hospital are quite nice as rhkkmk have stated. The newer rooms, currently undergoing remodelling, are very comfortable with very modern amenities. The hospital also have new food courts in both their building(the old building have a remodelled local style food court which is quite good) as well as fast food and restaurants.

If you are not required to be at the hospital most of the time during the day then I suggest that you stay by the river for the view and relaxation. Hotels on Sukhumvit road, the main road near the hospital, are nice but they are typical city hotels.

Unfortunately I will be spending a few nights at BH at the end of this month and if you need anymore information let me know.

Here are some photo(taken from my phone) from last November of the newly remodeled room and the hospital: http://khun-pook.smugmug.com/gallery/6680915_q588D
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:14 PM

emporiumsuites.com I've stayed in this building for years and it takes me less than 10 minutes, by taxi, to get to Bumrungrad and cost about $2.00.

Then when I leave Bumrungrad, I take the free Bumrungrad shuttle that takes patients to the Nana skytrain station and then lets them out right at the bottom of the escalator to the station.

Then it's two stops to Phrom Phong skytrain station where my building is. That takes around 2 minutes. My building is attached to the Emporium Shopping Mall : grocery store, pharmacy, internet cafe, movie theater, etc... and there's also a Bangkok Bank bank, very conveniently located right across from the lobby of the building. It was very convenient when my knee was in awful pain and I was back, at my building, in a flash after my appointment. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 02:36 AM

We are in BKK now, staying at Furama Xclusive at 27 Sukhumvit Soi 1. This is across the street from Bumrungrad Int'l Residences and 1 block away from the hospital proper. Superb hotel with attentive staff. Limping distance to hospital in 2-5 minutes. Lifts in hotel to all floors, including lobby to Ground Floor. check at www.furamaxclusive.com. We got reduced rates for a prepaid longer stay (3 weeks).
Advantage: walk, no escalators or even Skytrain, close.
Disadvantage: not a tourist area.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Mo
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll be staying the first couple nights in their residence and than the rest at a hotel near the river. I had done no research about hotels as I thought I would be staying my entire time there Goldenarchies I wish I was staying as long as you. Speedy recovery to you. Are you melting from the heat yet?
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM

hanuman, what did i tell you about having too much toro??lol

hope its nothing serious. get well soon. see you later.

btw,i reco the jwm. very nice hotel and close to bh, and other things too.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Ken
When are you going back to BKK? Will you be there in April or May?
Carol
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Mo
I should answer you question...
I have walked to BH from the Majestic Grande on soi 2 and from the Adelphi Suites on soi 8. Either walk is do-able. It's much closer from Majestic though. I took a taxi from there once, and it took 45 MINUTES go get thru BKK traffic!! I had to call the dental office from the taxi to tell them I was running late, due to traffic. From then on, I have always walked!
Carol
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM

hi carol, i don't have any tkts to bangkok for the rest of the year, but always looking for a way to get there. when are you leaving bangkok in may?

hi brad. the babes are waiting for you at i.
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Ken... what's "i"..?

I'm in Bangkok from Apr 21, leaving for home on May 4. Basically two weeks (13 nights at Adelphi). Maybe you can pop over there! So sorry to read on another thread that you will miss some GTG's this year... you'll be missed!
Carol
Old Mar 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM

carol, indigo.