Duangtawan -- new "luxury" hotel in Chiang Mai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that this is supposedly a new five star hotel in CM-- right near the night market. It has terrific promotion rates. Wondering if anyone has stayed there or seen it. I think it just opened last month.

Thanks
gloria
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

I didn't get any responses when it was originally posted. Wonder if anyone has heard anything about it.

Thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 08:19 AM

This article from the Nation is as much as I could find on the Duangtawan other than a number of websites with promotional rates in the $40 - $50 range. Here's the link:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page...&usrsess=1
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Craig --Thanks. I still wish I knew someone who had stayed there or seen it. Isn't there someone who lives in CM on this list?
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Seems like most of the posters on this board plan their trips pretty far in advance so I doubt anyone has stayed there. The person I think you are referring to is JamesA - last I heard he was near the ocean about 1-1/2 hours south of Bangkok. He may know someone who has been there. You might try posting again with his name in the topic. From looking at the information in some of the hotel websites, I see ratings of 3 to 5 stars. This could be based on price or just totally meaningless. The pictures of the place look pretty good but probably no better than the Sheraton (formerly the Westin). Seems like there is a nice pool. One thing for certain is that the place is brand spanking new so it will be in better shape than any place else in town.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

What I like about the place (aside from the price) is its location and the fact that it's brand new.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Unless you plan to spend all of your time at the night market, the location really doesn't matter that much. The best shopping (in my opinion) is in the handicraft villages on the outskirts of town - you would need a car and driver to get to them. Also away from town are the major tourist attractions - Wat Doi Su Thep and the elephant camp.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 07:15 AM

James doesn't live here, I do. I'll try to check this out, but it is not a new hotel, it is an attempt to rejuvinate a failed hotel.

The family run some nice hotesls but also some bad one, like the one that they have in bangkok.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Tangata-
Thanks so much for saying you'd check it out. They supposedly spent a lot of money renovating it but, of course, it could still be terrible.

Craig-- I've been to Chiang Mai many times but the person I'm going with has never been and she wants to stay in the "heart" of it. We have a car and driver so will spend the days out of the city. But even for me, I found staying at the Regent like being in another country. I like being able to walk places at night so don't want to be on the fringes. And my friend seems to prefer a modern hotel (I wanted to stay at Tamarind Village).

Gloria
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:05 AM

Gloria,

I have had a chance to have a look at the Duangtawan, if you want something close to the Night Bazaar, then it certainly meets that requirement, it is about 250 metres from the south end of the Bazaar.

Comparisons with the Tamarind are not really valid, this is a large multi storey hotel that from the outside is just another concrete block. It has a two level lounge area with reception on the second floor. Above that is the coffee shop and restaurants. Apart from some of the decorations, there is nothing particularly Thai about it; it could be a nice hotel in most parts of the world.

They have a web site, http://www.duangtawanhotel.com which offers a promotional rate of 1200 Baht per night. If you go through the photographs, they will give you a good feel for the place, although you can skip page 5!

There is a construction site straight across the road, but it shouldn?t be a problem.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Tangata -- Thanks so much for taking the time to check it out. Personally I'd much prefer staying at Tamarind Village or Rachamankha but my friend freaked out when she hear mosquitoes in the rooms as she's allergic. So she requested a more antiseptic hotel. I don't want to stay as far outside the center as the Sheraton so was considering the Imperial Mae Ping until I read about Duangtawan. I want my friend to fall in love with Thailand in the way I did 20 years ago. I know this hotel lacks all charm or "thai" qualities but I don't think we'll be there except to sleep and change clothes. And I must admit the rate is very appealing.

Gloria
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 07:48 PM

I think it will suit your friend very nicely.
Old Aug 6th, 2004, 06:29 AM

How about the Chiang Mai Plaza hotel? They have very nice rooms-standard and executive-acres of marble in the lobby-go around to the side and you see there's a lovely spa that you make reservations for-it's within walking distance to EVERYTHING-but partic. the Night Market-best of all, I think even the executive rooms go for only about 50-60US a night. I happen to like their shrine to Ganesha outside the hotel-(I like Ganesha-the Hindu elephant-headed god of good fortune, the Thais revere the elephant, so hey, they worship him as well, why not?)
Oh, and there's a little local Thai eating place just across from the hotel that makes a lovely pad thai, and with a beer I think it came to $1.50. I think you'd be happy with this hotel, esp. the location.