Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

hotel in luang prabang for 1st part of lNovember

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like referral of several hotels, or good guest houses with internet reservations/connections in Luang Prabang for 1st part of November, plus tips on clothing.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:34 AM

My first tip is to book NOW. LP has a limited amount of lodging and it fills up quickly.

Give us a price range, or go to a booking site like www.asiahotels.ocm and do a search.

I'm not sure what kind of clothing tips you are looking for. Laos is a conservative place in terms of dress - no revealing clothing, please. You'll be visiting many working wats in LP, so make sure your shoulders are covered and no shorts or short skirts. The weather will be cool (and perhaps misty) in the mornings and evenings, but very warm during the day. You'll want layers, so take a light sweater you can put on when it's cool. We were glad we had a light jacket on the river.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:44 AM

I'm travelling to Luang Prabang in the middle of November and found that the places I wanted to stay were all booked up. From recommendations on this forum, various guidebooks and reviews on the internet I had identified several places that I liked the sound of, namely 3 Nagas, Auberge Le Calao, Villa Santi (hotel in town and also the resort which is out of town) and a few others. I had been trying to make reservations online through Precision Reservations and they were taking days to get back to me only to let me know that the hotel or guest house was already booked and they would only let me make one enquiry at a time. I also emailed several hotels direct and again found that they were booked. I quickly discovered that November is the start of peak season. Sala Prabang (who were very helpful) said that they could fit us in for some of the days I requested and then they managed to come up with another room that we could change to for a few days. I don't know if it was more difficult to be fitted in because we are staying for a week and because we were trying smaller establishments. Anyway, good luck. Maybe, being a little bit earlier than me in the month you will have no problem. Luang Prabang sounds lovely and I'm looking forward to our visit. Maybe our times will overlap. I have no idea about clothes, but because I live in a cold climate, I am assuming that it will be hot for me and so I'm taking loose linen/cotton things. Do a search on here and you will find a lot of good info on places to stay in LP.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Try the Grand - it is a bit out of town, near the Villa Santi Resort - you can check availability right on their website www.grandluangprabang.com
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:41 PM

This is an easy one, but if I were you I wouldn't delay too long! Luang Prabang was the one place in south-east Asia that we decided to go for upscale classy accommodation, simply because there are so many great old mansions there. We chose Sayo's Guest House, and were very happy with our choice, especially since we asked for -- and got -- one of the upstairs rooms in the old building (we got the one with the mezzanine.... if you like views on three sides, fifteen-feet ceilings, a location directly opposite a main temple, a bathroom bigger than the bedrooms in most hotels, and room for four people to roam around, then this is the room for you). It cost us $AUD40 a night and was worth every cent. The only negative at Sayo's was that one of the reception lads kept asking us to book his brother as our driver, and I never welcome that kind of pressure (we never did succumb, and instead chose a great driver who gave us a whole day for less than the price the brother wanted for a half-day).

We booked by email after checking the Sayo's website..... if you can't dig this up with a google search, I can get back to you with it. But Sayo's it should be.... this is where the UNESCO people stay when they visit, I have heard.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:18 PM

Sayos has been highly recoed to me too - I posted on it on the forum including mail id and best room whcih I think is #6...in case the forum is working you should be able to pull up my earlier post
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 06:06 AM

I don't understand the comment that LP has limited lodging - there are loads and loads of guest houses to stay at. Some will be a bit too rough and ready for you, but there are many offering excellent accommodation - they just don't have web sites.

I walked past the Sayo when I was in LP just a month ago. It looked very nice and is one street back from the river front. I stayed at a GH on the river - a new building in the style of an old one - decorated with care and very well run. No communal spaces, restaurant, tour desk (though I am sure the lady of the house would
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 06:12 AM

I don't understand the comment that LP has limited lodging - there are loads and loads of guest houses to stay at. Some will be a bit too rough and ready for you, but there are many offering excellent accommodation - they just don't have web sites.

To be honest, if you are arriving around lunchtime you could probably just pitch up and find somewhere acceptable.

I walked past the Sayo when I was in LP just a month ago. It looked very nice and is one street back from the river front. I stayed at a GH on the river - a new building in the style of an old one - decorated with care and very well run. No communal spaces, restaurant, tour desk (though I am sure the lady of the house would be able to give good advice). I had a double room with fan and lovely bathroom for a bargain price it being out of season. I guess the normal rate would be about US18-20. There were also two rooms with river view and balcony that would be more, and may have had a/c.

View Kham Khong Guesthouse
(856-71) 213 032.

Lady of the house speaks good English.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 08:01 AM

fuzzy, the nicer places in LP are often booked months in advance these days. Even the smaller guesthouses are often full, as I've heard over on the Thorntree. Several people on Thorntree have complained that showing up without a reservation has meant a long search for a place to stay, and even the backpackers there have complained that the places they have found at the last minute have been filthy. Just a few years ago, I always heard that there were plenty of rooms and the guest houses were almost all of good quality. So that's the data from which I made my comment.

Even when I went to LP a few years back in November, if you wanted to stay at one of the nice places in town, you needed reservations months in advance. We were unable to get reservations at several of the old "mansions" even 6 months in advance!