Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   HOTEL in HKG and BKK (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hotel-in-hkg-and-bkk-764438/)

itsmesophia Jan 29th, 2009 04:05 PM

HOTEL in HKG and BKK

4 mid-twenties will be heading to HKG and BKK in mid-march for 3 nights each destination.

im beginning to seach for hotels and i have absolutely no idea where to start!

example, in BKK i've read that anywhere on Sukhumvit Road is good..is that true?

we want a decent to nice hotel...approx $120 or less a night. Does most hotels have rooms that will fit 4 people?

want to be close to shopping areas and good food. nice hotel pool is a plus too.

any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rkkwan Jan 29th, 2009 04:16 PM

Except for some special family suite, you won't find hotel rooms in Hong Kong that will fit 4 people. And definitely not for $120.

For $60 per room of two people, you're talking about very basic accommodations in Hong Kong.

Kathie Jan 29th, 2009 05:24 PM

Four adults in a room will be very difficult/impossible to find in Bangkok. You might find a serviced apartment or a 2 bedroom suite in a hotel, but $120 a night or less will be difficult. However, you can find $60 a night hotel rooms in Bangkok that are ok.

Take a look at www.sawasdee.com

Mango7 Jan 29th, 2009 06:07 PM

IMO, stay away from Sukhumvit unless you want to be in tourist trap hell. You are better off looking in Siam Square and the Silom areas if you want to be in the center where the action is. Some here will disagree, but at your age this is where I'd want to be!

Smeagol Jan 29th, 2009 10:38 PM

Siam Novotel is a good location. Stayed there the first time i went to BKK and its VERY handy for the skytrain and seeing the sites. Not so great for the river but as i said close enough to the skytrain to get there. That would be my choice. As kathie said 4 adults in one room! that @120$ will be virtually impossible

MichaelBKK Jan 29th, 2009 11:00 PM

BTW Bob, HKG is Phuket, not Hong Kong.

Most hotels in Thailand limit you to a max of three persons per room. The only ones allowing four would be hostel type dorms.

You will find cheaper places far out on Sukhumvit, or Ratchadapisek. What comes to mind are the Chaophraya Park, Grand Ayuthaya, Emerald or Grand Mercure Fortune. There's also a Furama Xtreme (former Unico) on Asoke that might fit your budge.

rkkwan Jan 29th, 2009 11:12 PM

HKG is the airport code for Hong Kong, Phuket's airport code is HKT.

And I am Ray, not Bob.

Maybe the OP is indeed talking about Phuket. I have no idea.

Cicerone Jan 29th, 2009 11:51 PM

If I understand you correctly, your budget would be US$30 per person per night. Does that include tax and service? In both cities, tax and service will add about another 10% to the bill (many places do not include this in the quoted room rate, so do ask, but some rates do and may also include breakfast). A good place to start for hotels would be the Lonely Planet guide, esp their “high end” reccos which usually represent good value for money (although these days they recco the Imperial in Delhi which is a luxury hotel with prices to match). Also try lonelyplanet.com and the Thorn Tree section of that website for ideas if you really need to stick with the US$30 per person budget. I would also suggest you try tripadvisor.com where you can search by price, and also read reccos from people who have stayed at hotels, see frommers.com or click "hotels" above and see what fodors reccos.

The good news is that in March you won’t get much, if any use, out of a hotel pool in Hong Kong (unless it is indoors), so you can cross that off your list. (Only a small handful of hotels here have indoor pools, and one is a budget hotel, see below). The bad news is that even in this economy, hotels in Hong Kong are quite expensive. The other bad news is that in Asia generally you will not be able to fit 4 adults in one room, as most hotel rooms do not have two double beds. Do ask when making enquiries, but in my experience this is quite hard to find.

Some perennial budget favourites for Hong Kong are below. In my opinion, at your age and with your interests, you probably want to be on the Hong Kong side near to the Lan Kwai Fong area of the Star Street area of Wan Chai, but Hong Kong is actually quite small and has excellent public transport. However, if you like late nights, the subway under the harbour and the ferry across it stop running at about midnight- 1 am, so if you plan on many late nights, IMO you are better off staying on the Hong Kong side where the better clubs are located, or you may have some hefty taxi bills to get back to a Kowloon side hotel.

1. The Salisbury, which is a YMCA with the same View which you get for a lot more money at the 5 Star Peninsula next door and the Intercontinental down the street. Website for YMCA hotels in Asia is /www.ymca-hotels.com/. The most popular and probably the nicest is The Salisbury. It’s not really a Y, it’s like a good 3 star or possibly 4 star hotel. Can’t beat the location really, even if it is in Kowloon. This has a very large indoor pool, and may be useful. There are other YMCAs to consider as well which are cheaper and may work better for you, see the website.

2. Bishop Lei International House. This hotel is in mid-levels on Hong Kong Island which makes it very convenient for things like dinner, exploring Soho and Hollywood Road, and just generally being a tourist. Their room rates are very good. In early March, it appears that their smallest rooms would actually be at US$35 per person per night, but I have to say that I believe that their smallest rooms are very very small and may not work at all for 2 people, so you may want to go up to the next size room (even that is going to be quite small). Their rates for all rooms increase toward the end of the month as they are finishing a redo. The rooms are small but quite adequate and the location is good, in a residential neighborhood near the top of the escalator and on a bus route. It is just above the zoo in the botanical gardens and you can hear the orange utans in the morning, quite unusual in the middle of the city. . . Many of the rooms have great views over the city and the harbor. They have an outdoor pool and restaurant, and there are other restaurants in the neighborhood. http://www.bishopleihtl.com.hk

3. Next door to the Intercontinental Hotel in TST on Kowloon is the Renaissance New World hotel. This is an older hotel and I don’t know that any of the rooms have harbour views, but would be cheaper than the IC for the same location (albeit no views). May be worth a look at marriott.com. This hotel is going to close sometime in early 2009 so bear this in mind.

4. A budget hotel which I don’t know inside but which I pass virtually every day and I think has an excellent location in Wan Chai on Hong Kong Island is The Wesley. (It’s run by the Methodist church, like the Bishop Lei above is run by the Catholic Church.) This hotel is about 300 yards from the Pacific Place complex of the JW Marriott/Conrad and Shangri-La which of course charge hundreds more for their rooms. This is in a great neighborhood of excellent restaurants, both cheap and dear, and near some of my favorite (and fast disappearing) market areas for strolling and people-watching. The Admiralty/Pacific Place subway stop would be very close, and the hotel fronts the tram line and several major bus lines. It’s quite moderately priced, but make sure you get as large a room as you can.

22 Hennessy Road
Wan Chai
Tel (00852) 28666688
Fax 28666633
[email protected]
www.hanglung.com (I don't think this website works too well, you might try http://www.asiatraveltips.com/TheWesleyHotel.htm.)

5. There is a chain of serviced apartments with various location on Hong Kong Island, some are small studios and some are 1800 square foot 2-bedrooms priced accordingly, take a look at http://www.thev.hk/. I don't know anything about this group or the quality of the apartments. There are no on-site fitness clubs, but it appears you would have access to private ones in the neighborhood at which you would have temporary membership.

6. There are several hotels in Causeway Bay, which is an area of Hong Kong Island a few miles to the east of Central. This is a primary shopping area, there are a number of good restaurants, a significant Tin Hau temple, a very large public park, and a typhoon shelter/harbour, but not a whole lot else for sightseeing. (there is the Noonday Gun which is fired off every day at Noon from the waterfront in front of the Excelsior Hotel, a colonial naval tradition that carries on.) It’s a very bustling area of shoppers. In previous years, this was an area full of little discount outlet shops and market stalls so it was interesting; however that has really changed and those are fast disappearing (rents are too high) and so the main reason to perhaps stay here is gone. Overall, I am not really a fan of recommending a stay there, esp for a short stay and/or for a first time visitor, as I think you will spend a lot of time of the subway or in taxi going into Central and other places. The subway is really jammed at rush hours, otherwise it is fine (but who wants to spend all that time underground when all the great views are above). In any event, hotels to consider in the budget range would be the Central Hotel (www.centralparkhotel.com.hk), the Metropark (http://www.metroparkhotel.com/) and the Rosedale (http://www.rosedale.com.hk ). At these latter hotels, ask about room size, as rooms tend to be very small (like 220 square feet, do not even think about getting 4 people into that size room, it really hardly will work for 2 people) and get the largest you can. These may all be a bit above your budget, but worth a look if you can go higher per person.

7. A new Courtyard by Marriott has opened in Sheung Wan to the west of Central on Hong Kong Island, I don't think it will be quite within that range, but take a look at Marriott.com. I like this interesting quite local neighborhood (Chinese medicine shops and dried fish), it is on a tram line and taxis are easy to get, it is a bit of a walk to the nearest Metro, but there is interesting stuff in the neighborhood, you can get a bus over to Stanley from here (a very pretty ride, not quite the thrill of the mountain ride of the #6 but you can take that back), and you can walk to Soho and Hollywood Road from here with a little effort (and maybe combined with the tram). This area, IMO, is a lot easier to navigate around that Causeway Bay, and is more interesting (as mentioned, Causeway Bay is fast becoming all mobile phone shops and large chain stores). Other budget hotels in the Sheung Wan area are the Central Park Hotel (http://www.centralparkhotel.com.hk/) and the Lan Kwai Fong Hotel, which despite it's name is NOT in Lan Kwai Fong, see http://www.lankwaifonghotel.com.hk/) There is an older Ramada in this neighborhood that I believe is cheaper. Note that rooms at the Courtyard are quite small.

8. Another thought are the serviced apartments at Two MacDonnell Road in mid-levels on Hong Kong Island. These are available for short-term rentals of one night, and the smallest units are in the US$200 range (with a very tight squeeze, you might get 4 people into these, not sure if this is allowed or if you would want to do this, but look at their larger rooms.). All units have small kitchens, which is a nice feature for breakfast (there is a grocery store across the street). I like the location on MacDonnell Road, as it is close to the great walking path on Bowen Road , you can walk down to the Peak Tram station or Hong Kong Park in about 5 minutes or to Central in a bit more. It’s across (a very busy) street from the small zoo and park by the old Governor’s mansion. This is a quiet residential neighborhood,. The hotel has a free shuttle bus to Central as well, and a small gym a restaurant. See http://www.twomr.com.hk.

In Bangkok, I think you might like the Chinatown area, one hotel which I have eaten in, but not stayed at is the Shanghai Mansion. The rooms do not seem expensive. See http://www.shanghaimansion.com/ Their cheapest rooms are US$100 a night (and for 2 people), but that does include tax and breakfast, so if you can go up a bit per person, that is pretty good IMO. Another thought is the new Courtyard by Marriott which I like it a lot, even though it is not on the river which is generally my preference. They are showing an internet rate for March of US$82 and this includes a choice of a king or 2 double beds (but this may mean “full” beds and not really doubles so do ask). The pool area is small but nice. I like their little spa, good massages. Very convenient to walk out to the sky train and the busy main streets in that area, but it is tucked away on a side street behind the Four Seasons and so is very quiet at night, a nice plus IMO. Nice restaurant for breakfast. I don’t believe many of the rooms have bathtubs, mostly showers only, if that makes a difference to you, ask for a room with a bathtub. Ask for as high a floor as possible, just to get any views which may be available (not really any but high floor offers some city views at least).

However, there are lots of hotel options for Bangkok, and this may be a good town to try priceline (see other posts on this board on that).

Mango7 Jan 30th, 2009 05:05 AM

Dang, Cicerone. Too much coffee tonight? lol

itsmesophia Jan 30th, 2009 09:08 AM

Cicerone! such helpful info!

Thank you so much. i am going to look into those hotels right now.

Do you think the BKK and SGN will have nice beach weather during mid-march?

What do you think of pataya?

itsmesophia Jan 30th, 2009 09:55 AM

mango7- im searching for hotels on www.sawasdee.com...is there a section for hotels in Sian Square? i cannot seem to locate it. i only see a section for Silon Road. Should i just choose a decent hotel anywhere on that road?

Mango7 Jan 30th, 2009 11:00 AM

Look for "Siam Square" or "Silom". Also try asiarooms.com...this is where I usually book. Good luck.

Kathie Jan 30th, 2009 12:10 PM

For questions about beach (or city) weather: www.weatherbase.com Note that you need to look at the specific beach you are interested in, as both Thailand and VN are affected by different monsoon systems in different areas.

Pattaya has a reputation for being pretty sleazy. There are some nicer areas of Pattaya, but nowhere is the beach very nice or very clean.

Mango7 Jan 30th, 2009 02:17 PM

I agree with Kathie about Pattaya. Save your time and money and go elsewhere. It is, by and large, a DUMP--and sleazy! Go to Phuket or Krabi for a real beach experience

itsmesophia Feb 3rd, 2009 03:21 PM

anyone know if Chaophaya Park Hotel on Rachadapisek Rd, Bangkok a good hotel? The tour package i may book includes that hotel. is it in a good location? we want to be close to Sukhumvit Rd and Siam Square (shopping, dining, nightlife etc).

also, should we book tours before our trip starts...or when we arrive to our destinations?

Thanks.

itsmesophia Feb 3rd, 2009 05:26 PM

how is the location of Ratchadapisek?

Hanuman Feb 3rd, 2009 08:27 PM

itsmesophia,

From looking at the on-line map for the Chaophaya Park it is not located in a good location for tourist activities. I think you will be in the "court" district of Rachadapisek road where most of courts for Bangkok are situated.

Hope this help.

itsmesophia Feb 3rd, 2009 08:41 PM

hanuman-thank you. that helped.

Cicerone Feb 3rd, 2009 09:41 PM

Bangkok is not on or near a beach. But it would be in nice <i>pool</i> weather in March, in that there is little rain and it is hot. I would agree that Pattaya is not that nice a beach town, and other areas like Hua Hin, are probably prettier beach areas; but if you only have 3 nights I don’t know that I would bother to go down to either, they are about a 3 hour drive each way from Bangkok, so it’s kind of a long way when you have a lot to do and see in Bangkok. I would just spend some time by a nice pool in Bangkok and hit the Bangkok clubs and nightlife. (Pattaya is sort of what Ft Lauderdale was like during spring break when <i>your parents</i> were in college, but with more prostitutes and the sad older men who patronize them.)

Singapore actually has some fairly pretty beaches, but I would not say one would go to Singapore for the beaches, and the huge container ships and oil tankers sitting off shore may dissuade you from going in the water; but again a nice hotel pool may be all you want or need; but if you are interested, the East Coast Park area is quite nice, esp the Seasports Centre, which has a little restaurant and you can even rent windsurfers. You can rent bikes and bike along a fairly long bike path, and there are some very good seafood restaurants here too. March weather is good. You can water ski/ wakeboard and rent jet skis in the north of the island, you might want to look into that for an afternoon, it really is a lot of fun. See http://www.pssa.com.sg/wake.html or http://www.hakuba.com.sg/. Do this on a weekday and you will probably have the place to yourself.

Mango7, I don’t drink coffee but do use the copy and paste feature which saves tons of time. The Hong Kong hotel question is probably the #2 question on this board for Hong Kong (the #1 being; “Which side of the harbor should I stay on?”). I have prepared blubs for that question as well as luxury hotels versus budget hotels. Makes things a lot simpler.

Mango7 Feb 4th, 2009 03:44 PM

Well, that was nice of you nonetheless. :D