Hong Kong

Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong

We will be visiting Hong Kong in February and would like to see Lamma Island, Lantau and Macau. Do we need a Visa to see any of these places.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 05:49 AM

If you hold a passport from the US, Canada, UK or EU, no. You'll get a passport stamp on the way in to Hong Kong and on the way into Macau.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM

Lamma and Lantau are part of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR). Macau is a separate SAR with its own border control. But like Kathie said, no visa needed for many nationals for visiting the Hong Kong SAR or the Macau SAR.
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 06:59 PM

I see that your trip has been moved from March to February; that hopefully will mean a bit better weather.

I am not sure it is clear from the above responses, but Lantau and Lamma islands are part of Hong Kong both politically and geographically. There are no immigration formalities for visiting them. It is like going to Staten Island from Manhattan, or to Capri from Positano. You don’t need to bring a passport when visiting either island, you just hop a ferry (or in the case of Lantau, you can also take the subway or a bus). The airport is located on Lantau , as you may recall from your previous visits. (You of course need a passport to depart or arrive at the airport by plane, as Hong Kong has no domestic flights.)

Macau is not part of Hong Kong politically. You will need to bring your passport when you visit Macau. I believe from your other posts that you are a US citizen, if that is the case, you don’t need a visa.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Cicerone, February was a typo, its still March for us. Thank you for clearing up a bit of vias confusion on my part. Should we have lunch on Lamma Island, or just tour the island.

How much time should we allot for Macau.

I would love to have your restaurant list if possible, Thanks in advance.