Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hotel Convenient to Hong Kong Cruise Port (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hotel-convenient-to-hong-kong-cruise-port-895074/)

meggies Jun 15th, 2011 01:29 PM

Hotel Convenient to Hong Kong Cruise Port

Can previous travelers please recommend a hotel, under $200. U.S. per night, that is convenient for getting to the Honk Kong cruise pier for Holland America, as well as convenient for exploring a bit of best of Hong Kong on foot? This will be our first trip to Hong Kong. The ship will be in Hong Kong for the first two nights, but we want to have a hotel for the day before the cruise, to give us some time to adapt. Thanks.

sf7307 Jun 15th, 2011 02:43 PM

Based on where I <i>think</i> the cruise port is, I would search on Kayak for hotels in Tsim Tsa Shui area of Kowloon. The port is on the Kowloon side (easy walking distance from the Sheraton, Salibury Y and Peninsula, don't know other particular hotels), it's easy to get there from the airport, and it's easy to get over to the Hong Side (10 minute ride by cheap ferry).

rkkwan Jun 15th, 2011 05:22 PM

Most cruises berthed at the Ocean Terminal in Tsimshatsui, part of the Harbour City complex. There are three Marco Polo hotels in that complex - MP Hong Kong, MP Prince and MP Gateway - all decent 4*s. Across the narrow Canton Road are the Langham Hong Kong and the ultra-luxury boutique Hullet House in the Heritage 1881 complex. Just beyond those are the Salisbury YMCA, Kowloon, Peninsula, etc, at various points on the price range.

And taxis are cheap in Hong Kong. Even if you stay a little further in Kowloon, it'll just be a short taxi ride to Harbour City.

The mega 100,000+ tonne ships berth at the Kwai Chung Container Port, but I don't think Holland America has any of those.

simpsonc510 Jun 15th, 2011 05:23 PM

Marco Polo Hong Kong is on the Kowloon side, and overlooks the pier. We watched cruise ships coming and going from our harbor view window. But MP may be beyond your price range? There are two other Marco Polo hotels right there in the very same area, same side of the street and everything. They are all 'attached' to a huge mall that overlooks the pier. I don't know the prices on these other MP hotels.

rkkwan Jun 15th, 2011 05:41 PM

The other two Marco Polos are a little cheaper than the MP Hong Kong but not much. Actual rate depends on the date - $200 <b>may</b> be possible on certain dates, but I agree it is unlikely. Salisbury YMCA may be the hotel closest to Ocean Terminal within budget.

rhkkmk Jun 15th, 2011 07:00 PM

do you have any points with hotel chains as HK is a good place to use them

doug_stallings Jun 16th, 2011 01:10 PM

I've stayed at the Salisbury YMCA and quite liked it. We tended to have breakfast from the Starbucks across the street and had high tea at the Peninsula. The location could not have been better (and is, in my opinion) a little more convenient than the Marco Polo hotels even if they are a little closer to the cruise pier. You can easily walk to the ferry to the HK Island side, and there's a lot of shopping very near the hotel.

We had one of the deluxe "partial" harbor views that had a spectacular view overlooking the harbour. Loved it. The rooms were a little small, but for that price everything is going to be small.