Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   hotel booking websites - Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hotel-booking-websites-thailand-572199/)

sharon212 Nov 21st, 2005 12:56 PM

hotel booking websites - Thailand

I'm about to begin booking hotels for our trip in March, and I see slightly different rates on different websites. One of them, Thaihotels.com had some great rates. Do you think it's okay to go with them, or does anyone feel that one site is more reliable than others? I'd appreciate some feedback. Sharon

MichaelBKK Nov 21st, 2005 05:09 PM

I haven't heard much about that site. I am now leary about sites that offer really cheap rates on some hotels. What I've found is that they often don't really have any relationship to some hotels. It's a sort of "bait and switch" practice where, if you try to book these hotels, you'll be told it's full and offered an "equivalent" alternative, which often won't be the same, or anywhere near where you wanted to stay.

I use mostly PrecisionReservations.com. Rates are good and I've never had a problem with a reservation. Others here rave about www.huahin20.com.

rhkkmk Nov 21st, 2005 05:53 PM

i think the complaint i have seen most often about any of these sites is that if you need to change or cancel then the problems start...so if you are absolutely sure what you want and there will not be any changes, then i think they are mostly equal....

i have had wonderful luck with www.huahin.20m.com over 4 years of dealing with them...they are part of the sawadee.com group....

a couple of the sites do not require prepayment so that is a plus...some sites like hua hin take your card info and charge one nites lodging now and charge the rest a couple of weeks before your arrival which is also a plus, as you need to go back in before that specified date and pay the rest....sort of an upfront commission and the the final pmt is the remainder due....i like this....if you are booking only a couple of weeks out they take the whole payment upon reservation...

i think the way these sites works is that they accept the res, then check with the hotel for availability and acceptance of the rate and then the next day they confirm it all to you...that has been my experience....when i wanted my rate adjusted once they told me they would check with the hotel, which they did and got back to me the next day...

sharon212 Nov 21st, 2005 06:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll stick to the sites that are suggested by folks on this message board, like huahin20.com and sawadee.com. My peace of mind is worth more than the difference of a few dollars. I also see asiatravel.com suggested here, but they seem to be a bit more expensive.

rhkkmk Nov 21st, 2005 07:46 PM

not a bad idea....the huahin site is

www.huahin.20m.com

you were missing the "m" as was another poster

JamesA Nov 21st, 2005 09:28 PM

I have also used for years and years and never a problem, the Sawadee set up like www.huahin.20m.com ( they also do www.nongasia.com which covers other Asia places but I think for those they send you through to Hotelclub, but good for pics and information and ideas ) does not ask for credit card details to find out if rooms are available, you can ask for several which is handy when planning in case one or another is full, they tell you 'what' is available and then you have a few days to decide, once you decide then and only then do they want any payment, usualy one night deposit and the balance a few weeks before you stay. I also know for fact that Sawadee group actually do go and check out accommodations on a regular basis.
There is also a huge choice too !!

JamesA Nov 21st, 2005 09:33 PM

Sharon, just to add March is a good time, weather is good and it is outside of peak time so rates are better and not difficult to find places to stay, if you want to telkl everyone where you plan to go maybe we can give a few tips, lots of us have our 'little gems' of places that are good value, an idea of type of place and budget helps.