Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   hotel advice with connection (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hotel-advice-with-connection-560694/)

deeman Sep 25th, 2005 11:32 AM

hotel advice with connection

we're landing in bankgkok at about 8:30 pm and have a flight the next day at 11:30am to Singapore. Wanted to basically stay somewhere where we could wander around, have a good meal, so I'd rather stay in town as opposed to an airport hotel. any suggestions on areas or hotels. Looking for a nice place to stay (max $200) and we've never been to bangkok. Given the lack of time we really wont be doing sightseeing. thanks in advance.

glorialf Sep 25th, 2005 11:45 AM

I'd suggest Royal Orchid Sheraton of Shangri-la so you can at least see the river while having breakfast in the morning. Both will be under $200 and have decent restaurants.

deeman Sep 25th, 2005 05:12 PM

is the hotel near any night markets or food/restaurant areas? dont really want to eat dinner at the hotel - feel that eating outside we'll atleast be able to get a pulse of the city

glorialf Sep 25th, 2005 06:01 PM

The problem is the time. You land at 8:30 and then have to go through customs etc so it could be well after 10 PM by the time you get to the hotel and check in.

deeman Sep 25th, 2005 09:00 PM

Didnt think of that - you make perfect sense. I think I might look into an airport near a hotel then.. prob not worth going into the city given our 11:30am flight the next day.

Guenmai Sep 26th, 2005 12:09 PM

I sometimes fly into Bangkok first...late... and then the next morning...early... fly on to Singapore before returning back to Bangkok at the end of my vacation. You don't have to check into an airport hotel. I checked into the Chateau de Bangkok by Sofitel...an Accor Hotel...in Aug 2004 and paid 1500Baht...plus tax for a junior suite.A very nice place to stay and 20-25 minutes...at night...from the airport. I arrived very late and didn't walk the area, but the Ploenchit skytrain station is no more than 300 meters away and the Thai restaurant Baan Kanitcha(SP?) is, I think on the same street as the hotel...Ruam Rudee is the name of the street. You probably won't have time to walk around anyhow since you are arriving so late.Or go to the Novotel...also an Accor hotel...in the Siam Square area. That's a lively area.I wouldn't pay a lot of money to sleep only one night at a hotel. Happy Travels!

JamesA Sep 26th, 2005 03:43 PM

Sofitel Central Plaza is about 20 minutes from the airport, so although not an airport hotel it is that extra nearer.
You have the Amari connected to the terminals but very expensive, Rama Gardens about 10 minutes away, the Sofitel is I guess around the USD 80 mark but a good hotel that is not exactly in the airport area but also not that far.

rhkkmk Sep 26th, 2005 08:14 PM

the only decent hotel near to tha airport is the amari, and many feel it is not decent...

sofitel central may be the next nicest...miracle grand is another....rama gardens in the new building is good too...comfort suites is not too nice

jw marriott for good restaurants and decent bed and some waling around...intercontinental....holiday inn bangkok on plenochit...these are all in town and near to the toll road...

glorialf Sep 26th, 2005 08:14 PM

And the Amari is not only expensive but unpleasant.

deeman Sep 27th, 2005 08:12 PM

thanks all... i'll take a look at the suggestions...