Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hotel- 1 night in Yangon (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hotel-1-night-in-yangon-1042703/)

needmorevacation Apr 13th, 2015 09:14 AM

Hotel- 1 night in Yangon

I booked a trip to Myanmar recently, but my flights got shuffled and I'll now be in town another night, flying out at 8am the next day.
Any suggestions on hotels? Mine from the night before is now sold out.
Budget is flexible as I'm less than a month out, but under $150 would be preferred. My only requirements are clean, pool, and the ability for them to get me in a cab to the airport for an 8am flight!
A bonus would be walking distance to some restaurants for dinner.

Also posting another thread on hotels in Doha, as I now have a 21hr layover there as well, so if there are any tips on that- that'd be great! Same requirements as above :)

Smeagol Apr 13th, 2015 11:41 AM

The savoy is nice but I'm not sure of the price per night.

Craig Apr 13th, 2015 11:57 AM

I second the Savoy - probably in the low $200's though. They do have a nice pool...

needmorevacation Apr 13th, 2015 01:38 PM

Thanks, that was on my list, however I remember reading a TP that mentioned they weren't impressed with the Savoy, of course it still looks lovely!

Smeagol Apr 13th, 2015 01:52 PM

I very much enjoyed my stay there. Check out the new Shangri la by Sule Pagoda, it is ( relatively) reasonably priced. Not sure it's your target price though....

Zambezi Apr 13th, 2015 02:55 PM

No pool, but you can't beat the ambience, the service, the historical background, and the food in the restaurants. Go to The Strand!! Who needs a pool when you have all of this? ZZ

Kathie Apr 13th, 2015 03:08 PM

I love the Strand, but you won't get it for under $150! The Savoy is nice, not as nice as the Strand, but a lovely old hotel (note: no elevator). and not as expensive as the Strand. We got it for about $150 in 2011... I'm sure it is more now. The Shangri-La is the old Traders Hotel, I don't know if they upgraded it when they changed the name or not.

Good luck!

Kathie Apr 13th, 2015 03:57 PM

Oops - I just remembered, the $150 a night we paid in 2011 was for a suite.

Are you working with a local agent? It doesn't hurt to ask the agent to put you on the waitlist for your preferred hotel. We did that once and it came though for us.

Zambezi Apr 13th, 2015 04:59 PM

You go around only once. Don't know your dates, but I put in some for first week of June, 2015, at the Strand and came up with a special of US $ 207, including breakfast and taxes. What's fifty dollars in the great scheme of things to have the opportunity to stay at one of the world's great hotels? ZZ

Kathie Apr 13th, 2015 05:43 PM

So true, ZZ - the Strand is one of my favorite hotels in the world. $207 is a deal.

Smeagol Apr 13th, 2015 08:48 PM

Kathie, apparently the SLa has been refitted out as per any S La hotel and great location.
Of course the Strand would be lovely, stayed in 2011 and really liked it... If you can push to that bit more I'd stay there. We are going again in November and have booked the Strand. (Savoy was already full) but that said The Strand would still be my top pick in this city.

Kathie Apr 14th, 2015 07:55 AM

So glad to hear that they upgraded the Shangri-La. Thanks for that info!

needmorevacation Apr 14th, 2015 09:43 AM

I will look into the Strand and the S-La- thanks all!

Craig Apr 14th, 2015 12:51 PM

I just read that the Peninsula is renovating a former railway headquarters in Yangon. Not sure when it will open...

Smeagol Apr 14th, 2015 12:56 PM

Oh that would be very nice! I do love Peninsula... They opened one in Paris lady year ( or maybe even the year before) I'm dying to try it!

LancasterLad Apr 14th, 2015 10:07 PM

We stayed at the Summit Parkview for a few nights...

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...on_Region.html

Ask for an upper floor room with views of Schwedegon Pagoda. Great when it's lit up at night. Yep there's a lift!

Book on Agoda or Booking.com

Nice swimming pool, and the breakfast buffet ticks all the boxes.