Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Honolulu GTG people hungover?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/honolulu-gtg-people-hungover-642330/)

divediva Aug 27th, 2006 03:45 PM

Honolulu GTG people hungover??

aloha fellow travellers and diners...
great meeting everyone last nite...
i thought for sure i would be adding onto someone elses thread...chock up one more
thread count for me...
anyway...great time, great food and welcoming new friends...

aloha and a hui ho
kai and makamae

rhkkmk Aug 27th, 2006 03:49 PM

oh my god, i thought it was tonight and i have come all this way .....oh well i will go to ken's for dinner instead...

Kathie Aug 27th, 2006 04:09 PM

I thought about all of your getting together - I wish I could have been there! Maybe next year.

Craig Aug 27th, 2006 04:43 PM

DARN, I thought it was NEXT week! - sorry to have missed you guys.

divediva Aug 27th, 2006 04:44 PM

Bob...we waited for you but when a 1/2 hr passes, the wine was flowing and you didnt show up...we all started talkin story about you...were your ears ringing????

maybe next time we can plan the gtg in the off season and all you mainlanders
can join us...great food and conversations

kathy, you were missed as well and i loved all the jewelry from your thai
friends in bkk...what is the name of your jeweler again>?????

Kathie Aug 27th, 2006 05:21 PM

SJ International is my jeweler. It's a dangerous place to go ;-)

lcuy Aug 27th, 2006 05:27 PM

Well I have to admit that it was a bit hard for me to get up this morning!

Thanks Divediva for starting this one!

To update those of you who we missed last night...

Started out at the bar of Longhis in Ala Moana. Kuranosuke got there first and was soon met by me, Hawaiiantraveller and Mrs Ht., MelissaHI, Mrwunrfl- who flew in from LA especially to be with us!- and DiveDiva from Maui along with her friend Makamae. We had a nice GTG warmup and made several toasts to Carol (e, no e?)Simpson, Emd, Rhkkmk, and others, then headed off to Seoul Garden. There we were met by Mrs kuranosuke, IsisMonroe & Russ, and Mari808. Mari and Isis had a good excuse for missing Longhi's- they had been showing their stuff at Antiques Roadshow!

Now any time you get some haoles, Pordagees, wild Chinese women, Japanese wiseacres, Maui chicks, Hawaiians and babes, and a systems Analyst together, you know its gonna be loud and fun! Toss is a few bottles of wine, some sake, cook it yourself foods (thanks Melissa, peter and Ken for doing the hot stuff!), kim chee, and toungue, and you know you're going to have a good time.

Mel and Ken had scored Fodors luggage tags and our name tags had the total number of our post...Mrwunrfl won with over 2400 entries!

We shared lots of travel stories, fodorite stories (good and bad...whose ears were ringing? ;;) ). Seems like everyone has an exciting trip in the works...Thailand, India, Cambodia, Vietnam, Paris, Reno, and Alabama will be getting visits from Fodorites in the near future!

Turned out it was Divediva's Birthday, so we emarassed her with a rousing rendition of the birtday song. We let Kuranosuke escape that indignity even though it was his day as well! He's just so dignified, we didn't want to upset him!

I got my reward outside when I discovered that my car, with distinctive license plates had been (valet) parked right in front of the entrance to la Femme Nu. Made me look like a VIP customer!

So it was a fun night, with many happy endings..

Thanks to everyone who came -especially our long distance attendees -and to Ken for setting it up, and Melissa for her part as well.

Tokyo on March 31??

simpsonc510 Aug 27th, 2006 05:27 PM

I sure thought about you guys yesterday. I would much rather be in Hawaii than dealing with my day-to-day life right now. I'll plan on NEXT year, I promise! Maybe Bob and Karen and Gloria and Guenmai and Kathie and others will also try to make it also.

Carol

emd Aug 27th, 2006 07:37 PM

Just found this post...

All I can say is,

=D> =D> =D>

You guys had a great time, and no one got arrested!

Congrats to mrw for the >2400 posts!

Luggage tags w/posting numbers, how cool is that?

So how old is birthday boy kuranosuke now-- you did take bets on that, right?

You guys know how to throw a GTG party. I feel like I was there, just reading this.

mari808 Aug 27th, 2006 08:08 PM

i'm so glad i wasn't the only one who had a hard getting up today. i had so much fun--and wd have even w/o the generous libations!

for any still in the dark, i just googled 'happy ending massage' and wdn't u know, even THAT gets massaged at the end!!

hey divediva, all thru dinner i kept thinking makamae looked strikingly familiar, and just put my finger on it. is she related to pono from the 'ulalena cast? makamae looks just like a female pono. if she is, my sister danced 2 yrs in 'ulalena and pono was in her wedding at mendes ranch.

kuranosuke floated the idea of a semi-annual GTG, now that we know each other so well after 2 annual ones. hnl in february??

MelissaHI Aug 27th, 2006 10:06 PM

lcuy, send me your photos and i will post them to my album:
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/310986/index.html

I haven't put in all the captions yet because my computer at home is too slow. I'll get to it tomorrow.

It was so great to meet mrwunrfl, divediva, and makamae! And as always, good to see the "regulahs"--no need be annual or semi-annual, we should try do this any time a fodorite comes to town! (US Board, Asia Board, wherever)

Thanks, kuranosuke, for getting the luggage tags. You're a "good poster" (unlike me & lcuy who scold people) so I knew you'd get a good response from fodors!

.....and once again, a GTG with a "happy ending." har har.

IsisMnroe Aug 27th, 2006 11:08 PM

I didn’t drink at all and still feel woozy from the GTG. It was a wonderful party! Thank you to all:

Thank you for Kuranosuke for arranging the party, and for the Fodor’s luggage tags and to Mrs. K, Jackie,for providing insight to Penang and the latest tidbits about a Malaysian restaurant here in Honolulu.

Ken started the party at Seoul Garden with a special toast to CarolS. We miss you and hope things are going well.

MelissaHI thank you for your upbeat nature and for the name tags. It’s 8 degrees of separation; we just had dinner the day before with your cousin Dennis.

Thank you to Mr. Wunrful for coming all the way from the LA area and to Divediva from Maui and friend Makamae. Mr. Wunrful have a wunrful trip to Vietnam, enjoy the food and the people.

Mr. HT, so good to see you and Linda again. You always keep us all laughing. Nice to see Linda, the fashionista of jewels.

Mari, good to share stories of the Antique Road Show. Saturday was fun all day long. Best regards to you on your upcoming Foodie tour to Saigon.

Last but not least, thank you to Lcuy, for bringing the photos of your trip to India; the photos of India and your daughter are gorgeous. And thank you for taking the time to providing the insight to India traveling; from religious Varanasi to glamorous Heritage Hotels. I’ll be sure to rent a Bollywood movie to get into the ambiance!

Mahalo!

mrwunrfl Aug 28th, 2006 12:53 AM

It was wonderful to meet all of you. I had a great time talking with everyboday and hearing stories about travel, Asia, fodors and fodorites, food, Hawaii, happy endings, etc. Hope to see you all again soon. Was a wonderul trip and easy to do.

Tokyo, hai! We can celebrate emd's birthday (3/30) there.

rhkkmk Aug 28th, 2006 05:48 AM

great pics...thanks for sharring....now we can put faces and names together..

Kathie Aug 28th, 2006 07:05 AM

Looking at the photos made me feel like I was there!

Craig Aug 28th, 2006 07:09 AM

Enjoyed the pix - makes me want to head to Honolulu for the next one.

hawaiiantraveler Aug 28th, 2006 10:26 AM

I still have a headache two days later, but again it was worth it!

Thanks for coming all the way from L.A. to our party mrwnrfl and for letting me bend your ear all night for your invaluable information about our upcoming Japan trip. I hope we didn’t bore you. Have you made your spam onigiri yet? :)

It was a pleasure meeting Kai and Makamae. “Maui no ka oe”. Kai, Linda says she’ll go with you to SJ Jewelers next time.

Mari thanks for the avocados, Linda made guacamole last night, ono.!

k-suke & Jackie – thanks for organizing everything and for bringing the goat, lol. Tell us again why are you going to Alabama?

Isis and Russ- It’s always nice to have some sane people at a party, at least Isis qualifies for this category, the rest of us failed, Russ included.

To our official gtg photographers and stenographers I hereby nominate you for lifetime appointments to the positions, lol. Thanks Lucy and Melissa, it was great to see you again and finally talk to you (lucy). I was lucky enough to sit across from both of them for an evening that I won’t soon forget, beautiful people.

We also discussed a GTG in Tokyo somewhere between March 30 and the first couple of days in April as a few Fodorites ( kuranosuke, mrwnrlf, mr & mrs HT, emd, lcuy, maybe laurieco and Kathie) and a few others will be in Japan at that time. Maybe we can get some of the local Japan posters and anyone else to join in. Would be nice, anyway keep it in mind.

To all of you who missed it, we missed you all a lot more. Komo Mai!! Please come next time.

Aloha!

MelissaHI Aug 28th, 2006 12:02 PM

Is there something in particular going on in Japan at that time? If I can get a good fare, maybe I'll go! I haven't been to Asia in over a dozen years--been too addicted to Europe.

hawaiiantraveler Aug 28th, 2006 12:32 PM

Melissa:

There's lots going on in Japan at the begining of spring.

Hopefully you time it right and get to see the sakura blossoms. Mrwnrfl was telling me about a sringtime festival(which the name of elludes me for now but I'm sure he'll chime in about)he said was one of the best he's ever seen.

There are a lot of spring festivals in little towns in Japan at this time of year (Takayama, Shirakawago, Kyoto, etc). See links below for some resources:

http://gojapan.about.com/

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/

http://www.japan-guide.com/

Lots of good looking Japanese guys with lots of money too!lol

Aloha!

MelissaHI Aug 28th, 2006 01:01 PM

I'm SOLD, if you can introduce me to these men!!!!