Hong Kong - What's new ?

Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Hong Kong - What's new ?

For somebody who has not been to Hong Kong for 5-6 years, what's new to see, visit or experience there ? Thank you.
Jul 22nd, 2004, 03:02 PM

One thing I am always pushing is the relatively new History of Hong Kong museum in Kowloon.It might sound dry but it sure isn't.It is very well done and you need to allow at least two hours to see it properly.There is everything from the old opium days right up to the handover.I have been to Hong Kong many times but until last year I had not been up the escalator on Hong Kong side... that area is interesting too. The new airport will be a revelation to you although I do miss the old scary approach to Kai Tak!Enjoy that great city fellow Aussie!
Jul 22nd, 2004, 04:01 PM

Thanks Peteralan, I'm planning a trip to Hong Kong, so I need to know this too! (we already know where SydneySteve is going...!)
Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Spygirl - HKG is our last port of call(no pun intended) on the way back to Sydney. I sent my email to the local office of www.discoverhongkong.com. I hope they still have those great little guidebooks that we used to get so many years ago.
Jul 25th, 2004, 05:44 AM

I was there a couple of weeks back, after 7 years. Landed at the new airport and bought an Octopus card which you can use on pretty well all public transport in HKG. Buy the tourist card for HK$350 which gives you two trips on the express train to Kowloon, unlimited MTR travel for 3 days and HK$20 to cover ferry, bus, etc. and there is a HK$50 deposit included in there as well. You can top it up at any MTR station and then cash it in when you get back to the airport. Found it very convenient. We stayed at the YMCA and paid extra for a full harbour view, which was absolutely stunning, good location. Seems a lot of work has gone on near the water, with an Art Museum, a Promenade with Avenue of the Stars where you can watch a light show at 8pm every night which was bit repetitive but okay for a few minutes. Still good to go to Victoria Peak on the funicular - seems a lot of shops, restaurants etc up top there now. Had high tea at The Peninsular which is very tourists these days, am sure proper hotel guests would be having their afternoon tea in another part of the hotel! Chunking Mansions are still there on Nathan Rd, with the same Indian and West Indian atmosphere - food, music, dvds. Still fun travelling on all the myriad public transport systems. Double decker buses still running. Still exciting, plenty to do. As I live in Shanghai, it was especially good to stock up on toiletries at Watsons.
Jul 26th, 2004, 09:12 AM

There is a new sound and light show each evening on the waterfront. You watch it from the Kowloon side, but its the buildings on Hong Kong island that light up with lasers and fancy lighting effects. It gets packed with people, maybe thats because its only 2 months old. There are also foot and hand prints of stage and screen embossed onto the footpath - Chinese stage and screen though!