Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

My own disappointment with Min Thu (Bagan)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have recently returned from Burma, and I wanted to post a follow-up about my own disappointment with Minthu.

As I posted in losaltos's thread, I had booked Minthu for 3 days in mid-March. Minthu emailed me on March 8th -- the day of our flight from the US to Burma and 7 days before our arrival in Bagan -- to bail on us because he was allegedly going to be in guide school. Minthu sent this email 5 days after losaltos's March 3rd post (that Minthu had stood them up that day because he was in guide school). Thus, it is very likely that several days before Minthu contacted me to bail because he was allegedly going to guide school, Minthu knew that he may have to bail on us.

Due to the last minute cancellation, I figured it would be best to ask Minthu if he could book us with another horse cart driver, and he said he could send his friend. We accepted, and ended up spending 2.5 very good days with Ko That (see my review and his contact info in my trip report). In the interest of objectivity, I must give credit to Minthu for booking us with a good horse cart driver with whom we were happy.

Nevertheless, I independently asked both our horse cart driver and Minthu's brother/cousin (who picked us up from the airport by car) if Minthu was in guide school. Each of them -- independently -- answered that Minthu was NOT in guide school and was in Bagan taking around other tourists. Additionally, I saw empty horse car No. 54 (what I understand to be Minthu's horse cart) parked outside one of the temples we visited. An innocent explanation is possible (e.g., that Minthu was going to guide school on our dates and didn't end up going, and then took another customer at the last minute), but Minthu's conduct -- on its face -- appears to be highly sleazy at worst and a poor understanding of customer service at best.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that there's no compelling reason to bother with Minthu. At least three posters have complained about questionable tactics by Minthu within the last couple weeks, and there are probably a dozens of other perfectly capable horse cart drivers in Bagan. Indeed, we had a perfectly good experience with another one (I'd encourage anyone to book with Ko That). Minthu just feels a bit like the Wizard of Oz: so much hype, only to be a disappointment in reality.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM

<i>to bail on us because he was allegedly going to be in guide school</i>

<i>Additionally, I saw empty horse car No. 54 (what I understand to be Minthu's horse cart) parked outside one of the temples we visited. An innocent explanation is possible</i>

<i>but Minthu's conduct -- on its face -- appears to be highly sleazy at worst</i>

It would have better received if you had included this in your trip report. Making an independent entry like this looks like your main objective is to discredit someones livelihood because you felt harmed. Looks like a legal vendetta or something resembling one.....

Didn't he give you a weeks notice and an able replacement which was outstanding? Maybe he has guide school only in the morning or afternoon only?
Oh, you mentioned that.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 07:03 AM

I agree with HT, sure you have a legitimate issue as you feel let down, but to do an individual post about it looks spiteful on your part......
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:05 AM

I've been in touch with Minthu pretty regularly via email, and he did write to tell me that he passed the tour guide entrance exam very recently and he is now enrolled in school. I really don't doubt the veracity of that statement. His email was written with the intent to share good news and express his happiness. Given all that I know about Minthu, I'm sure he did all he could to make sure you didn't get stranded without a cart and guide. I do not disagree that there are other horse cart drivers in Bagan, many are well qualified, and they all share a camaraderie with each other and help each other when they can.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

"It would have better received if you had included this in your trip report." --> I didn't think my experience with a person I didn't use was relevant to my trip report. The facts are the facts, no matter where they're posted. I've reported facts and made sure to distinguish the facts from what is my speculation/conjecture/opinion, and future travelers can make decisions based on the facts posted by me -- and others who have had similar disappointments with Minthu.

"Making an independent entry like this looks like your main objective is to discredit someones livelihood because you felt harmed. Looks like a legal vendetta or something resembling one....." --> Actually, my main objective *is* indeed to discredit the god-like reputation that Minthu seems to have. There are many fine horse cart drivers in Bagan (including my excellent one), and I don't see the sense in booking with Minthu given that two other Fodors posters recently reported that he stood them up *in Bagan* (a much more serious problem than bailing on us a week before).
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 06:05 PM

"god-like"?? I don't think I have ever heard of a horse cart driver in a poor third world country being referred to as god-like before! If you mix up the letters of his name "Min Thu", one of the possible combination is "Him Nut"!
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 06:47 PM

I understand that we all take our respective trips fairly seriously, and we expect much out of our planning and efforts. I really don't see the utility in tarnishing the reputation of an otherwise defenseless person who earns an extremely meager living driving people around in a horse cart. This is a truly sad display. Travelers here as well as the thousands that do not use this forum use horse cart drivers and make their own choices. This topic is available to people all over the globe and is in poor taste, unnecessary, and spiteful.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 11:58 PM

These continuing attacks on a poor Burmese horse and cart driver by a rich westerner are as pathetic as they are spiteful. So the OP had a bad experience in trying to book a service, get over it and move on. Attempting to destroy the business of a a man in a country which is struggling to make its way into the international community after years of military oppression is just cruel.

There are more important things going on in travel and the world in general that warrant more attention than this. My next trip is to South America. If it were Asia, I would be heading straight to Bagan just to support Min Thu! Horse and car drivers of the world unite and rise up against this oppression!
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Original Poster

The backlash I've received is a bit surprising. These travel forums (Fodors as well as the other major travel forums) are an invaluable resource for us to share our experiences -- both good and bad. Through these forums, I've found many outstanding guides and drivers -- all over the world -- who have transformed good trips into amazing trips. And I've posted glowing reviews of such individuals -- to both to help their business and to help fellow travelers have the same experience that I did. The occasional times when I've had a bad experience, I have felt obliged to write a negative review so that fellow travelers are warned and can plan accordingly. In fact, I think it is particularly helpful to fellow travelers to share a bad experience with guide/driver who is generally well regarded and receives lots of positive internet attention.

Given that I haven't posted anything that is untrue or defamatory, I'm not sure why several people on here are so opposed to the open, free-flowing exchange of information. I, as well as the two other posters who had bad experiences with Minthu in the past couple weeks, have been thoroughly attacked by multiple posters. While the majority of people in Minthu's "fan club" have reacted objectively to the criticism of Minthu, I really don't understand the desire by several other folks to suppress the facts and defend Minthu at any cost. I try to put myself in the shoes of someone planning a trip to Bagan, and this is information I'd want to know. I'm not sure why others feel differently.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 03:02 AM

I suppose what I find indefensible is that all this smacks of the big rich guy picking on the small poor guy with the main effect, intentional or otherwise, being to damage his fledgling business. It is almost akin to bullying where the victim, has no means of response because the accuser/ is hiding behind the anonymity of the www.
If you are at ease with the probable effects of your action fine, but I certainly wouldn't be. A comment about service, good or bad is fair enough, but this constant character assassination of someone, by your own admission, you have never met is, in my opinion, both unfair and unacceptable.

PS In the interests of clarity, I am not a member of the " Min Thu fan club as I have never met him and probably never will. Like other posters here, I am just trying to stick up for the small guy.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 06:41 AM

Wow. A horsecart driver in Bagan cancels on you - in advance - and sets you up with a horsecart driver you like and his thanks for that is that you try to destroy his business!

"Actually, my main objective *is* indeed to discredit the god-like reputation that Minthu seems to have."

Calling a humble Buddhist horsecart driver "god-like" would be funny if it wasn't said with such malice.

I'm sorry that some people have been disappointed in Min Thu. I won't defend him for cancelling on people at the last moment. But setting out to destroy a man's reputation and business is, IMO, indefensible. You suffered no loss, but you want to make sure he does.

Writing a negative review is one thing, setting out to destroy a man's reputation is another.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 06:54 AM

I think we feel differently because the only facts I can see about your story is that Min Thu correctly canceled a reservation with you one week in advance and then upon your request got a horse cart and guide for you with whom you were satisfied. All of the other hearsay and your imaginations on what may have happened is all your now tainted opinions. If you read over what you wrote with an objective eye you would see what we mean.

Everyone on this forum is wanting a free flow of information but most on this forum are also pretty quick to pick up on a poster who has an agenda and a mission which the OP clearly admits to.

Also taking a look at your very few posts on this site I do see that complaints are the norm and kudos are in very short supply......no embellishments just the facts.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 06:57 AM

Wow Kathie, you and I were writing at the same time but am noticing that like minds......

Aloha!
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 07:10 AM

I understood the OP's main complaint to be that Min Thu was being deceptive: that is, he claimed to be in one place [school] while the OP believed (and claimed to have supporting evidence) that Min Thu was in fact with other clients. My impression was that the OP saw this as disingenuous, and that s/he thought it worthwhile to bring this to others' attention. If indeed the OP's version is substantially correct -- if Min Thu was deceptive in the reason he gave for cancellation -- that would, to me, be important. But the OP is just one voice, and the bigger picture is made up of all the voices who have relevant information.

I would find it unwise to conclude that the moral high ground belongs to one side or the other, or, certainly, to speculate on the OP's motives.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 07:24 AM

I believe the OP just saw the no. 54 cart at a temple and did not see Min Thu himself? Isn't it possible that while Min Thu was in school he let others drive his cart, perhaps to make some income to feed his horse?

$20 a day for his service, probably $5 go to feeding his horse, $5 go to feeding himself and family, $5 go to up-keeping his rickety cart and the last $5 go to his family or kids for schooling etc.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 08:19 AM

Don, we don't need to speculate on LAX's motives, he/she has voiced those loud and clear.
Now i have been to Bagan but chose not to use this horse cart driver, so I, like Crellston have no first hand knowledge of this person but the way in which the OP has chosen to deliver the information is to me unpalatable and as i said in my post further up just looks downright spiteful.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 09:17 AM

What I find stunning is that you will attack this incredibly sweet, honest, and caring person anonymously on a website to which he does not have access. Why not reveal yourself so we can also test the veracity of your statements. Clearly, you revealed yourself on a dating site. Did you even bother to understand this culture while you visited the country? Do you understand how Buddhism works? Do you understand that your post can destroy his life? His families’ life? This isn’t filing for bankruptcy. This is not being able to eat.

I don’t see anything that he did wrong. Your disappointment ironically is focused on him not being available to you. But you did not suffer any harm, you were well cared for while you were there, and you have the person whom you viciously attack, to thank for it. Expressing displeasure is one thing, attacking someone by highlighting a non-substantiated deficiency is altogether different. You saw horse cart 54? By your own admission, you never met Minthu, and you never saw him. Why paint him out to be a liar? By all means, speak to the quality of service, but do not attack someone’s character based on pure happenstance.

I have used Minthu’s services, and hundreds of others have used his services. I will always recommend him without hesitation to anyone who ever inquires. He, however, always has the right to say no if he is unable. I can personally state that he is thrilled at being able to begin a new chapter in his life, while you attack his progress. This country is now seeing an influx of visitors like never before. Little did they know that this means that unpleasant people also will travel there and seek to destroy all that is dear to them.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 10:29 AM

Since when has name calling, personal attacks, and innuendos been acceptable on the Asia Board? I'm talking about postings on both sides of the question. I understand that people have points to be made, but that can be done without the nastiness I see emerging in this thread.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 02:03 PM

Perhaps the editors will close this thread? I too am uncomfortable with the direction it has taken...
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 06:45 PM

Upon all the stellar recommendations on this forum, we booked Min Thu as our guide for our visit this past summer to Bagan. And, I was not disappointed in the least bit. He was gracious and sharing. He went out of his way to take us to where ever my son and I requested. We talked constantly and connected as human beings, anxious and excited to share our cultures. He shared his home with us and he took us to his favorite tea house. He even treated us to tea, as that is his culture. At the end of the trip when I told him I'd never remember where we've been, he showed up the morning of our departure with a handwritten list of all the places we visited with a brief description. He was a professional that went well beyond any guide would go.
He also was a professional to provide a replacement when he realized that he could not forfill his duties of showing up. He had someone as trusting as him, show up. How great is that? Provide a solution. And as this disgruntled person stated, a very good solution. So let's all get behind Min Thu and send him our love and support. He's demonstrated that, yes he can! Go to guide school, solve problems and move onto bigger and more successful things. And hey, maybe this is the even the end of the horse cart and the start of a terrific travel agency. I'd book with him any day.
And P.S....I keep in touch with Min Thu. He wrote me 2 weeks ago to tell me how excited he was that he got accepted to guide school.
LAX, I'm sorry, there's always one in the group that stinks, and you're it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -