Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hong Kong Teas (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hong-kong-teas-424051/)

Wulfstan Apr 19th, 2004 02:09 PM

Hong Kong Teas

Ok im a newbie to Hong Kong, wife and I are heading there en route to Bali, and staying at Hong Kong for 3 nights......need to know about teas. Would like to bring some back with us, any ideas on what types of teas and where to buy them? Help! Thanks in advance.

rkkwan Apr 19th, 2004 02:34 PM

I don't know of the newer and fancier tea stores, but one that's been around for a long time is Ying Kee. It has several stores in Hong Kong, but last time I check, the main store in at 151 Queen's Road Central in the Central district, just west of the bottom of the mid-levels escalators. Many locals buy there, and their prices should be reasonable.

As for which type of tea to get, that's a hard question, as there are dozens of types. If you're new to this, I'd suggest one of each of the three main category:

Green tea, not fermented - Lung Jeng (or Dragon Well) from Hangzhou, China

Black tea, fermented - Po Lei (or Bo Lei) from Yunnan, China.

Partially fermented - Oolong/Wulong or Ti Kwan Yin (Iron Goddess) from Fujian, China; or Taiwan.

Note that there are many different grades and varieties of each type, and some can be quite expensive. I don't think you'll need to buy the most expensive ones, but don't bring some cheap ones home either.

Kathie Apr 19th, 2004 02:49 PM

I'm also going to buy tea in Hong Kong. My guide book says there is a several block stretch referred to as "Tea Street" which I plan to check out this trip. I can't find my notes right now, but I'll post the location if I can find it in the next couple of days.

My favorite (for regular drinking) is jasmine pearls. These are green tea leaves and jasmine petals rolled together into little balls (pearls). There are also fancy "presentation teas" such as tea leaves and flower petals tied together do they unfold into a flower shape in the teapot. Lovely and pricey, I always buy some for gifts.

Wulfstan Apr 19th, 2004 03:00 PM

thanks both of you....will copy and paste both posts so I can find these stores

peck_man Apr 19th, 2004 03:28 PM

I can also recommend buying Jamine pearls. It was definitely my favorite tea. I wish that I would have bought more.

r_shum Apr 21st, 2004 01:24 AM

As rkkwan said, there are a variety of tea. Just like coffee, some are stronger than others. It all depends on your own taste.

If you get the chance to have dim sum at the local restaurants, you can have your choice of tea. So, try jasmine tea (which is relatively mild and easy-taste) to see whether you like it.

For shops, Ying Kee is definitely one of the choice with different price range. you can probably find one to suit your budget. I would not buy pre-packed tea at department stores or souvenir shops. the tea are not fresh and expensive.

christo Apr 23rd, 2004 07:22 PM

Try to find a good Yixing teapot to buy. They are made of a special clay from a particular region in China. They are generally small,of high quality,sometimes intricate and should have the makers chop underneath.I have read that they are made specially for Oollong teas but one can certainly use them for any tea.
Personally I like Pu Erh, Pouchong green tea , and Tung Ting Oolong. They come in varying qualities. Splurge and get the best- better to remember your trip by!
Bon Voyage.

psyke Apr 24th, 2004 12:05 PM

Hello,

No problem. The teas from China are the best in the world. On the Kowloon side, there is a fantastic tea store right accross the street from the Kowloon Shangri La Hotel. It is a few stores over from the pedestrian bridge, next to one of the many tailors. The owners are a husband and wife who will sit with you and serve you tea in the traditional manner while you are considering your selections (no charge, if that is an issue). You will leave with an appreciation for Chinese teas and its culture as well.

Good luck!

J.