Hong Kong, Stanley to Aberdeen to Sok Kwu Wan to Central

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering going to Stanley from Central area on Hong Kong on bus #6, From there I'd like to go to Aberdeen, then boat to Sok Kwu Wan on Lamma Island for dinner, then take the ferry back to Central.

I have the ferry schedule http://www.hkkf.com.hk/en/ferry/index.html between Central and Lamma Island but I'm not sure how to connect Aberdeen with Lamma Island. Does anyone have details for this?

Also is bus #973 the bus that connects Stanley to Aberdeen? If so, where do we get on this bus in Stanley?

Thanks so much.
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Aberdeen - Sok Kwu Wan. Yes, those are small vessels:

http://www.ferry.com.hk/eng/service.htm

Stanley to Aberdeen. Bus #73. Lower half is the route from Stanley to Aberdeen. Get on at Stop #3, "Stanley Village", which is the mini bus terminal just above the Stanley Market

http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/rou...pe=D&company=5

#973 continues to Kowloon and cost over 2x. No reason to take it over the 73. Get on
Old Apr 6th, 2009, 08:59 PM

To get to Sok Kwu Wan from Aberdeen, you will be taking a small wooden ferry, called a kaido/kaito. You get the boat next to the pier for the Jumbo restaurant, a bit to the right. You may have to ask, as it is not well-marked really. (You also may have to ask which stop is Aberdeen, as it may not be apparent. You will stop at Ocean Park in a huge parking lot and then Aberdeen is few stops after that, but the bus will only stop if someone wants to get on or off, so it is hard to count stops. It is the Aberdeen Praya Road Stop/ Aberdeen Wholesale Fish Market, and you can see a picture on the website for the bus given above by clicking on stop #26, which is probably not too helpful actually. Look for a pink building.) When you get off the bus at Aberdeen, you will be in front of the pier area, just walk toward the water and look for the Jumbo sign on the left and then look to the right for the kaido, it’s really mixed in with all the other wooden boats. Sounds complicated but isn’t, just ask someone if you can’t find it.

Note that the ferries run quite infrequently on weekdays, so hopefully you can plan to be there not too long before a departure. If you end up with time, you can take the free ferry over to the Jumbo where they have some shops and nose around there, this also gives you chance to see the harbour. You could also hire a sampan yourself and take a short harbour tour. If you are going on a Sunday, ferries run more often.

The first stop on the kaido ferry will be the tiny village of Mo Tat on Lamma, which has a quite decent continental restaurant called The Bay with a good water view (see http://www.thebayhk.com/ and they also give ferry times for the kaido). The next stop about 5 minutes from that is Sok Kwu Wan. You can also get off the ferry at Mo Tat and walk to Sok Kwu Wan, it’s about 20 minutes down a paved path.

I am not a huge fan of the seafood places on Lamma, they are fine, they can be overpriced so don’t order too much or be talked into it by the waiters. The seafood is not local, the waters are too polluted for that, so you are getting the same seafood you would get on the mainland, a lot of it from Thailand, Taiwan and elsewhere. Some of it may come from Sai Kung in the New Territories.

You can actually take the kaido back to Aberdeen, but you can also take the regular ferry back to Central. If end up eating at the Rainbow seafood restaurant in Sok Kwu Wan, they have their own boat which will take you back to Central.

As for the 973 versus the 73, I would take whatever arrives first, check the schedules when you are ready to go and are at the bus stop in Stanley. (These buses go from the same bus stop where the #6 will drop you off.) And just to keep things in perspective, bus 73 will cost you US.75 cents for the trip while bus 973 will cost you US$1.75. While that is indeed “twice the price” (in fact a bit more), neither is expensive.

As you are going to be in Stanley, you might prefer just to go to Po Toi island, as you can get a kaido to Po Toi from there and could have lunch there. This island is very quiet and untouristed except by hikers on weekends mostly, and there is a nice Tin Hau temple and 2 seafood restaurants, similar but less expensive and much less touristy than Lamma. However, I can’t say for sure that the restaurants are open other than on weekends and public holidays, so this trip may be better then (unless you bring a picnic), when ferries run more often anyway. You can take a kaido back to Aberdeen or Stanley (some ferries may run to North Point). Ferries do not run late, so lunch is really only feasible. But quite a nice trip and a lovely little island. See http://www.traway.com.hk/routes.html. If you did not want to go to Po Toi, if you right, you could also take this kaido from Stanley to Aberdeen rather than the bus, which might be a pleasant ride. You could then get the next kaido to Sok Kwu Wan.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so very much! You're detail will help me tremendously! Yes, we'll be going on a weekend, so that'll be of some help.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Does this notice effect us?

On Sundays and Public Holidays, bus stop at Stanley Village Road outside Stanley Village Bus Terminus will be omitted by Stanley bound journeys, passengers may board and alight at Tung Tau Wan Road outside Hong Kong Sea School.

Departures on Sundays and Public Holidays during 09:00- 19:00 both bounds will be diverted via Ocean Park.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 08:34 AM

You are not Stanley-bound on the 73. You are Stanley-bound on the 6, which doesn't have that stop omission. I think the problem was congestion in that area on Sundays.

The extra stop at Ocean Park will add a few minutes to your journey from Stanley to Aberdeen.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Hi Images2!

We were in Hongkong a couple of years ago (stayed in HK Island, around Causeway Bay) and we did a trip to Stanley on a bus. Although it was our destination, our bus passed by Repulse Bay and we really took a liking to that area that we hopped off the bus and wandered around it before taking another bus to Stanley. Stanley is not big but there is a small market near the bay selling mostly clothing items, where we ended up buying most items. It was not as overwhelming as some of the markets in HK. I bought silk scarves, shirts and even have my name in Chinese characters put on a t-shirt (which I have fun wearing!). It was also here, that my husband bought his Chinese silk bathrobe, which he still wears almost everyday. And my son got his souvenirs here too.

We also went to Lamma Island for the sole purpose of eating seafood. I agree with Cicerone that it was not the best, both in quality and price. I'm not sure if this is true for all the restaurants lining up near the sea. I tasted better seafood in one of the hole-in-the-wall restaurants on the Kowloon side.

We enjoyed our stay in HK and I know you will too. Have a nice trip!
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM

People go to Sok Kwu Wan for seafood because of the whole experience. Ferry ride, check out all the live creatures in tanks, dine by the water, etc. And it can be combined with a nice hike between Yung Shue Wan and Sok Kwu Wan. Not because it's cheap or that it's better.

There are of course many many seafood restaurants around Hong Kong which serve seafood for less. But if you want a similar experience of picking your seafood from the tanks, etc, but want to skip the ferry ride, one can go to Lei Yue Mun (near Yau Tong MTR in eastern Kowloon), Sai Kung, Sam Sing Hui (just before Tuen Mun), etc. And also on Cheung Chau, but that's a ferry ride of course.